Canada Day

There is nothing in that article which offers any evidence to back up the author's opinion that the Canada Day celebrations were promoting the Liberal Party at the expense of Canada. The only criticism he had was the politically correct nature of celebrations - would he rather have something that was overtly offensive to some people?. Furthermore, politicians using Canada Day celebrations to get visibility is not something that is unique to Liberals.

The entire article reeks of an mindless anti-Liberal rant with no connection to reality.

Anybody that reads Ezra Levant and believes anything he says IS TO FAR GONE FOR ANYONE TO HELP! 
The same could to said for members of our Liberal Cabinet, and their supporters. Anyone who believes a word that comes from these liars and thieves deserves the government they choose. Martin and team will do or say anything to hold onto power, and it is the gullible who are asinine enough to believe them. Someday you will wake up and private, for-profit healthcare will be all that is available, and Martin will sit on his hands and say there was nothing he could do because the Supreme Court told him so. We are going to wind up with American style healthcare whether we like it or not, and Martin is not going to do one thing to stop it. Why would he? He probably has shares in one of those companies in his blind trust.

Levant is a partisan hack, of course. However, I found this bit interesting:

The Fourth of July and Canada Day are each important opportunities for inculcating national values in new immigrants. And look how that is done in each country. Immigration is celebrated on the Fourth of July as proof American ideals are appealing to all of humanity, especially to desperate wretches from the world's tyrannies who will do anything to set foot in freedom, and once there try to out-American the native-born citizens.

By contrast, immigration is celebrated on Canada Day as a remedy to Canada's too-white, too-European ideals, a way to water down our history and culture with other, better, foreign values.

We have an entire ministry of multiculturalism devoted to keeping immigrants from assimilating. No wonder Sheila Copps had to pay to get people to fly Canadian flags. Old Canadians don't believe in its new meaning, and new Canadians are told not to.

He exaggerates, perhaps, but I don't think this line of thought is completely off base. Are we giving people the wrong message?

-k

Levant is a partisan hack, of course. However, I found this bit interesting:
The Fourth of July and Canada Day are each important opportunities for inculcating national values in new immigrants. And look how that is done in each country. Immigration is celebrated on the Fourth of July as proof American ideals are appealing to all of humanity, especially to desperate wretches from the world's tyrannies who will do anything to set foot in freedom, and once there try to out-American the native-born citizens.

By contrast, immigration is celebrated on Canada Day as a remedy to Canada's too-white, too-European ideals, a way to water down our history and culture with other, better, foreign values.

We have an entire ministry of multiculturalism devoted to keeping immigrants from assimilating. No wonder Sheila Copps had to pay to get people to fly Canadian flags. Old Canadians don't believe in its new meaning, and new Canadians are told not to.

He exaggerates, perhaps, but I don't think this line of thought is completely off base. Are we giving people the wrong message?

That depends on how people want to perceive the day, I suppose. Levant's comment displays a somewhat xenophobic viewpoint of immigrants and an apparently paranoid view that someone, somewhere is planning the destruction of Canadian/European culture by sponsoring immigration.

On the other hand, most people I know -- including myself -- view Canada Day as a day to celebrate our country and all the peoples who make up our nation.

Do I think immigration needs to be better managed, i.e., settling new immigrants in areas outside Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal; faster removal of those whose claims are rejected, etc.? You bet. Do I want a review of the yearly ceiling for immigration? Yep. Do I think immigrants are ruining the country? Nope.

Martin and team will do or say anything to hold onto power, and it is the gullible who are asinine enough to believe them.

IOW, they will continue to act like politicians???

What a surprise.

We are going to wind up with American style healthcare whether we like it or not, and Martin is not going to do one thing to stop it.

On the one hand, some right-wingers complain vehemently about Trudeau, and how he introduced all kinds of things that are "bad" for the country.

Healthcare being one of them.

And now, we have someone complaining that a Liberal PM may allow health-care to go 2-tier.

Consistency anyone???

Why would he? He probably has shares in one of those companies in his blind trust.

Simple libel. Hardly a rational tool of debate.

But if it's effective, who cares???

Harper certainly doesn't.