Paul Martin and George W Bush

Both Paul Martin and George W Bush baffle the casual observer as to how they possibly could win a second term.

Both were caught red handed more than once lying and cheating the electorate.

Both campaigned by branding their opponent (bush v. John Kerry, Martin v Harper) as unknown and scary.

Both used a campaign of fear to scare the voters into voting for them. Bush used terrorism "If you don't vote for me you won't be protected". Martin used fear in health care "if you don';t vote for me, Medicare will be ruined."

Both Bush and Martin are surrounded by big business and had HUGE financial advantage over their opponent.

Both Paul Martin and George W Bush baffle the casual observer as to how they possibly could win a second term.

Bush won his second term because he wrapped himself in the American flag and convinced Americans that they are in a bogus war.

Martin has not cheated the electorate. Some people who were working for the Liberal party did - but there is no evidence that Martin was directly involved. Bush, on the other hand, deliberately manipulated intelligence to deceive Americans. His deceit has not only cost 100s of billions of dollars it has also cost the lives of nearly 2000 US soldiers. There is no comparison to a 100 million or so wasted in sponsorship scandal

Both campaigned by branding their opponent (bush v. John Kerry, Martin v Harper) as unknown and scary.

And Kerry tried to do the same to Bush just like Harper runs around calling all Liberals corrupt when nothing could be further from the truth. The difference is American have this deep seated fear of all things liberal in the same way Canadians fear neo-cons. So the Americans tend to believe Bush- Candians believe Martin.

Both used a campaign of fear to scare the voters into voting for them.  Bush used terrorism "If you don't vote for me you won't be protected". Martin used fear in health care "if you don';t vote for me, Medicare will be ruined.".

We will see how the Liberals position themselves for the next election. It won't be the same as the past.

Both Bush and Martin are surrounded by big business and had HUGE financial advantage over their opponent.

And Kerry had a lot of sympathetic journalists and celebrities that helped him for free. How many candidates have a box office movie endorsing your campaign immediately before an election? The CPC on the other hand had a huge war chest filled up by bay street right before the rules changed.

TERRIBLE TOPIC.  And a terrible comparison.  Bush will be remembered for finally liberating the Middle East.  Martin will fade into history as a weak dirty ditherer, remembered as the sad looking guy who bought off the pretty lady.

Jack Layton isn't very pretty. :blink:

:lol: I was talking about Scott Brison... :lol:

Ohhhhhhhhhh. I'm bad, I'm a bad guy.

TERRIBLE TOPIC.  And a terrible comparison.  Bush will be remembered for finally liberating the Middle East.  Martin will fade into history as a weak dirty ditherer, remembered as the sad looking guy who bought off the pretty lady.

Jack Layton isn't very pretty. :blink:

:lol: I was talking about Scott Brison... :lol:

Ohhhhhhhhhh. I'm bad, I'm a bad guy.

Remember the show Bosom Buddies where two guys had to pretend they were women to get a place to live?

Nevermind....

Both used a campaign of fear to scare the voters into voting for them.  Bush used terrorism "If you don't vote for me you won't be protected". Martin used fear in health care "if you don';t vote for me, Medicare will be ruined."

A much rarer commonality is the source of their personal wealth. Both men were born to very powerful, well-connected politician fathers, and both made their own money on sweetheart (charity) deals given them by friends of their politician fathers.