NDP as an alternative

I never send life it tough in Alberta or that Alberta is a terrible place to live. I live here and I plan to continue living here.

To suggest that any other party in Canada wouldn't be taking advantage of the oil in Alberta is idiotic. Even the NDP (who I fully support) would not through away millions. They'd put more money into researching alternative fuel sources certainly, but they wouldn't really change oil usage in Alberta. So to suggest that people who voted for the Tories get what they deserve in regards to a flood is moronic. Of course, you were just joking, so it's alright, isn't it?

Also, while Alberta doesn't have a PST, the cost of living certainly isn't low. I can only use Calgary as an example (as that's where I'm living), but Calgary's cost of living is one of the highest in the country. Granted it's pretty darn easy for a HS graduate to get a $8 - $10/hr job. This can go back to the working poor problem in Calgary (which I'm sure you're aware of, if you're from Calgary). People can make a nice amount of money, but living costs so darn much. Right now housing prices are going up around $3000 per month!

Alberta is a great place to live - but there are problems, just like there are problems in Ontario and in BC. Why is there always a tendency to assume that when someone mentions "things could be better" that person doesn't enjoy, or even love, the situation they're currently in?

I never send life it tough in Alberta or that Alberta is a terrible place to live. I live here and I plan to continue living here.

To suggest that any other party in Canada wouldn't be taking advantage of the oil in Alberta is idiotic. Even the NDP (who I fully support) would not through away millions. They'd put more money into researching alternative fuel sources certainly, but they wouldn't really change oil usage in Alberta. So to suggest that people who voted for the Tories get what they deserve in regards to a flood is moronic. Of course, you were just joking, so it's alright, isn't it?

Alberta is a great place to live - but there are problems, just like there are problems in Ontario and in BC. Why is there always a tendency to assume that when someone mentions "things could be better" that person doesn't enjoy, or even love, the situation they're currently in?

Fair enough, but my original point was meant to counter a post that stated "every other party has run every other province into the ground" which hasn't really been the case in Alberta. Take a look at what a few decades of Tory rule have brought us. Nothing but greatness. I wish Canadians could see that obvious fact. And the NDs would have tried to spend their way out ot the doldrums in the mid-90's which means we certainly wouldn't be sitting on the huge surplus we are today.

Fair enough, but my original point was meant to counter a post that stated "every other party has run every other province into the ground" which hasn't really been the case in Alberta.  Take a look at what a few decades of Tory rule have brought us.  Nothing but greatness.  I wish Canadians could see that obvious fact.  And the NDs would have tried to spend their way out ot the doldrums in the mid-90's which means we certainly wouldn't be sitting on the huge surplus we are today.

Well, Alberta's school system is doing great when it comes to standardized tests (which is a discussion for a different topic!) - but that's likely due in spite of Tory rule as opposed to because of it. Think of how much better our schools could be if they were funded better. I'm not talking about simply throwing money at a problem here - but money would certainly make things better. As far as Post-Secondary education, why on earth is the UofT cheaper than the UofC? I'm not really trying to turn this into a thread about education funding. But it is one example of where the Tory rule hasn't brought us greatness.

Fair enough, but my original point was meant to counter a post that stated "every other party has run every other province into the ground" which hasn't really been the case in Alberta.  Take a look at what a few decades of Tory rule have brought us.  Nothing but greatness.  I wish Canadians could see that obvious fact.  And the NDs would have tried to spend their way out ot the doldrums in the mid-90's which means we certainly wouldn't be sitting on the huge surplus we are today.

Well, Alberta's school system is doing great when it comes to standardized tests (which is a discussion for a different topic!) - but that's likely due in spite of Tory rule as opposed to because of it. Think of how much better our schools could be if they were funded better. I'm not talking about simply throwing money at a problem here - but money would certainly make things better. As far as Post-Secondary education, why on earth is the UofT cheaper than the UofC? I'm not really trying to turn this into a thread about education funding. But it is one example of where the Tory rule hasn't brought us greatness.

Well in terms of UofT versus U of C there may be some ideology at play here. Many true conservatives believe that the long term rewards of a post secondary education justify the short term costs and that students should bear that cost in exchange for better long term income.

Many true conservatives believe that the long term rewards of a post secondary education justify the short term costs and that students should bear that cost in exchange for better long term income.

I appologize for having to ask you to spell this out for me (it is getting somewhat late, and my mind shuts down in the evenings), but how does this relate to the UofC and the UofT? I think the UofC is great school, but certainly "prestige" would be found higher at the UofT. I'm a huge believer in self-education, being that where you go to school (at the University level, anyway) doesn't really matter much if you actually have a desire to learn - but wouldn't "most" Canadians (even us Westerners) think that a "better" - relatively speaking - education could be got at UofT, a cheaper school?

Many true conservatives believe that the long term rewards of a post secondary education justify the short term costs and that students should bear that cost in exchange for better long term income.

I appologize for having to ask you to spell this out for me (it is getting somewhat late, and my mind shuts down in the evenings), but how does this relate to the UofC and the UofT? I think the UofC is great school, but certainly "prestige" would be found higher at the UofT. I'm a huge believer in self-education, being that where you go to school (at the University level, anyway) doesn't really matter much if you actually have a desire to learn - but wouldn't "most" Canadians (even us Westerners) think that a "better" - relatively speaking - education could be got at UofT, a cheaper school?

U of T may be a better school by some standards and that is probably attributed to a whole lot of factors other than funding. What I am getting at is that the Alberta Government MAY (I don't know for sure) ideologically be more accepting of higher tuition fees due to the long term benefits most students recieve from getting a post sec ed.

U of T may be a better school by  some standards and that is probably attributed to a whole lot of factors other than funding.  What I am getting at is that the Alberta Government MAY (I don't know for sure) ideologically be more accepting of higher tuition fees due to the long term benefits most students recieve from getting a post sec ed.

Okay, I understand what you're saying in that case.