Alberta floods

uh, hang on. ... dry here, right now :)

Seriously, though, I think it's mostly in rural areas in southern Alberta. I think High River and Pincher Creek are the only settlements of any note affected.

-k

Well, here in Calgary some areas did get flooded, the majority were along the Elbow River Valley. The top of the dam at the Glenmore Reservoir was breached by the rising water for the first time in history, (since the 30's) and they could not release enough water from the flood gates to cope with the incoming volume. The gates evidently can release 150 cubic metres/second, but the water from the Elbow coming into the res. was about 200 cu. m/sec.

The worst hit seems to be High River, (funny, that) with extensive flooding after the river breached the banks. Lots of debris collecting under some of the low bridges there. Sounds like the worst is over, as the rain has let up to 'intermittent'. Soon, though, Sask is going to be hit with big surges in volume, lots od debris and worse yet, some small towns had their sewage treatment plants over-run, and raw sewage was released into the system. Free peanuts and corn downstream, I hear.

High River was hit hard but the worst is over I believe. Some folks had sewage back up and that sucked. Calgary was getting kinda scary and the river in Lethbridge was very high with a few places flooded and the water treatment plant working at capacity. The weather in Calgary is nice today...finally.

Well it was pretty wet here in Lethbridge for a while... but not nearly so bad as a couple years back hehe, the old man river was swelled so much it flooded an RV park that was just below the highway going over the river itself

Out down Highway 4 in the low parts there was serious flooding though, lakes appeared overnight... was kind of cool lol

Saw one house in a lower portion of land in 3 feet of water, felt sorry for the owner x.x

Guest eureka

The News tonight seemed to be reporting that the worst is over though Drumheller appears to be on edge.

I once, when in Montreal experienced a flood. I was on almist an osland in the middle on slightly higher ground and unscathed.

It was not a pleasant experience - including having garbage trucks transporting us in and out for a few days. There's an opening for someone!

Here in Edmonton, the mighty North Saskatchewan crested yesterday without spilling its banks, and is now receding. I am busy removing the outboard motor from my skateboard.

-k

Pentagon

This does not belong on this thread, Kimmy. Just found a link to the Pentagon report on climate change and thought you might become a believer.

You must have me confused with someone else. I can't recall participating in any climate change discussions on this forum. I have no issue at all with reducing greenhouse emissions; just immense skepticism over the steps being taken. Seeing Rick Mercer's intensely irritating face on my TV makes me want to go burn coal just to piss him off.

-k