Martin In The Loop To Poach MP: Tapes

Martin in loop to poach MP: Tapes

Transcripts of secret taped conversations indicate that negotiators for Prime Minister Paul Martin suggested they could get Parliament’s ethics watchdog to speed up a report on a Tory MP in order to win his support for a crucial vote.

Tapes recorded by Tory Gurmant Grewal also indicate Martin was in the loop as his chief of staff, Tim Murphy, and a senior minister courted Grewal on the eve of the confidence vote.

These revelations, at first brush, looks quite devastating for PM Martin, Murphy, Dosanjh, and probably the entire Liberal government.

Maybe we will be having an election this spring after all.

And which party does Grewal vote with now as he obviously wanted a Liberal cabinet position, etc.? :lol:

ill beleive it when the tapes are indipendantly verified. Remember it did take them along time to get them out. I could have had a few of my friends translate them in a couple hours.

Im not saying their fake... just let them be properly verified before im going to jump to conclusions. I don't trust most liberals but they are no less trustworthy of harper et al... so we shall see.

These revelations, at first brush, looks quite devastating for PM Martin, Murphy, Dosanjh, and probably the entire Liberal government.

I was reading the transcripts, tough going though. There is so much to read and the conservatives deliberately highlighted the bits that suit them.

It looks like the only thing that was seriously discussed were political positions such as parlimentary secretary or cabinet. Which is slimy but does not stink as much as offering diplomatic postings or senate seats.

The biggest unknown is what the conservatives have deleted from the tapes. There must have been something incriminating for Grewal on them or they would have released them right away.

Tea is served.

There's enough culpability in this one conversation, over a civilized cup of tea, to blow away a cabinet minister, a chief of staff and - maybe - someone more senior than that. It took place on May 17, in Confed, and involved the Prime Minister's Chief of Staff and B.C.'s most senior cabinet minister.

I prefer Chai tea myself. :lol:

What does this tell you!

Criminal Code Section 119

119. (1) Every one who

(a) being the holder of a judicial office, or being a member of Parliament or of the legislature of a province, corruptly

(i) accepts or obtains,

(ii) agrees to accept, or

(iii) attempts to obtain,

any money, valuable consideration, office, place or employment for himself or another person in respect of anything done or omitted or to be done or omitted by him in his official capacity, or

(B) gives or offers, corruptly, to a person mentioned in paragraph (a) any money, valuable consideration, office, place or employment in respect of anything done or omitted or to be done or omitted by him in his official capacity for himself or another person,

is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.

Harper, MacKay, and Reynolds, the 3 top Conservatives cut Grewal loose, saying he went too far in taping the negotiations. Their internal polling must be horrific on this issue.  :blink:

Huh?
"In this business, you are presumably on the public record at all times," Mr. Harper told reporters in Ottawa.

"Everybody in this room tapes all their conversations with politicians. I don't tape all of my conversations, but that's a legal right of someone if they wish to exercise it."

Harper defends MP's secret taping

Harper raises some good points. All politicians tape all conversations with journalists. Smart politicians know that anything they say anywhere could come back to haunt them. It's part of the game.

Things change very quickly in politics.

Today Vancouver radio station CKNW stated the top three Conservative members of Parliament had cut Grewal loose.

Grewal will end up looking the worst in this sordid affair.

Following him closely behind will be Dosanjh, Murphy, & Martin.

Grewal has effectively ended his political career - another seat for the New Democrats in the next election! :)

Nothing will happen. This is just a drop in the bucket compared to the millions the Liberals stole from the taxpayers. It appears that Canadians aren't willing to accept their responsibility to remove this government, and I doubt if this will change anything.

In fact, if polls continue on their current trends, the Liberal support will probably go up with this news of corruption and illegal offerings.

Canadians, in general, are just too blind to see it.

Dear geoffrey,

Canadians, in general, are just too blind to see it.
Not too blind, just too complacent. It is no wonder, though, for it is the belief of many Canadians that the Liberals just got caught this time. The headlines are carefully constructed to sensationalize, and it doesn't matter which party is in power. If you read "Shocking Revelation! Federal gov't less than honest!"

or "Feds show favouritism when awarding contracts!" or the biggest laugh, "OMG! Federal Gov't Acted Irresponsibly With Taxpayer's Money!" I doubt too many people would be thinking 'oh dear, I'd better sit down, this is such a bombshell...'