More Racist Remarks By Conservatives

Tolry MP apologizes for language
Keiko Miki, past-president of the National Association of Japanese Canadians, had said she was surprised and hurt by Fletcher's comments.

"We'd like an explanation about why he is so ignorant at this point in time," said Ms. Miki. "I think we need to meet with him and verify the comments. If he doesn't deny them, we need to explain our position in this."

How sad that Canada still elects people of this mindset. I'm so tired of these sick puppies being in our House of Commons. Fletcher should do the honourable thing and resign his seat.

You know nothing about Fletcher. You're simply a reactionary bigot who hates conservatives and seizes any pretext in order to tar all of them with the same sweeping brush. Fletcher's words were in the context of that time and referencing his father's experiences. He also did not refer to modern day Japanese but to Japanese soldiers of the time, who were mindless, murderous fanatics by anyone's standards. But in this day and age when narrow-minded little bigots are anxiously waiting for any conservative politician to utter anything they can use to accuse them of racism I suppose it was careless and stupid of him to give them that ammunition. Fletcher has overcome enormous challenges in life, and is extremely capable, intelligent and well-educated. To suggest he ought to resign simply because of a mistaken remark is sputtering idiocy.

Conservative MP Steven Fletcher has apologized for referring to Japanese soldiers as "Japs" and "bastards" at a convention

Is it just me, or does the present batch of Conservatives have a distinct propensity for putting their foots in their mouths???

Harper's done it. Fletcher this time. Runcimen calling Belinda.ca (hats off to Kimmy) a "dipstick".

Others I can't recall at the moment.

Whatever happened to statesmanship and diplomacy???

There is nothing wrong with calling Stronach a dipstick. It might not be the most sophisticated language, but it merely echoes what most in the media have said; stronach is not exactly a genius, nor well-read, nor well educated.

And you can all Japanese soldiers anything you want. Anyone who is offended by the term referencing Japanese soldiers of that era is too stupid to care about anyway.

I'll just don my asbestos armor and point out that everything I've read indicates that in the context of a discussion of World War 2, calling the Japanese "bastards" is an insult to bastards.

Does the fact that US soldiers torture prisoners in Iraq, Guantanamo and Afganistan mean that all Americans are 'bastards'? I don't think so.

Comparing the occasional behaviour of small numbers of American soldiers today with the normal behaviour of Japanese soldiers in WW2 only serves to illustrate your vast ignorance of both.

The Cons are a group of,  for lack of a better term, "ANGRY WHITE MEN". They are feeling hard done by because their women won't listen to them any more, and want to make decisions about their own bodies, gays and visible minorities want equal rights, and all that sort of thing. Have the Cons ever had a francophone leader? I highly doubt it. This is the real scandal in Canada!

Funny how the Tories, who have never had high representation in Quebec not having a Francophone leader is a scandal, but the Liberals having had no leader from outside Quebec in forty years is quite okay. In fact, if you even suggest there's something wrong with that you're a bigot.

And who will follow Paul Martin eventually? A Francophone, which means another Quebecer. Of course.

Angry White Men???

The Conservatives have the MOST multicultural caucus in Canada with a large number of women and an MP that is quadrapalegic. This is an indisputable Fact.

Angry White Men??

More Liberal Lies.

Try as you might we will not forget that the Liberals are Corrupt!!!

What goes around comes around: The Llberals are not corrupt: a small number of Liberals are guilty of criminal acts, however, this does not mean that every Liberal is crook.

Who has said every Liberal is corrupt? Find the statement.

The fact is the party hierarchy is corrupt, and has been for many years. That's obvious to anyone even casually familiar with them. As for the individual MPs, they are nobodies anyway. Their job is to stand when told, speak when told, say what they are told, and vote as they are told. They are sheep, with no more freedom than a herd of sheep. So telling us they are not universally corrupt is hardly a defence. It is the party which is corrupt, and it is the party, the big shots behind the scenes whom most of us have never heard of before, which is the real power in government. The individual MPs have no power of any kind.

The Liberal Party is corrupt.

Perhaps he should have stuck to the facts; the Japanese were a xenophobic society bent on imperial conquest and genocidal racial cleansing who perceived the conquered (including surrendered soldiers) as less than cattle.  There, isn't that better?  Amazing what you can find on Google.

This is not a fact it is an opinion: would you agree with the statement that "Germans were a xenophobic socity bent on imperial conquest and genocidal racial cleansing"? Mostly likely not. You would probably say the Nazis were responsible for highjacking the social institutions of Germany and starting a war that most Germans felt powerless to stop. The exact same thing happened in Japan. Too many people seem to feel it is ok to make broad all inclusive statments about Japanese but would not make the same statements about Germans. That is why these kinds of statements are racist and must be condemned.

Regards

You know, I like the Japanese. They are a very civilized people.

That being said, they are STILL a xenophobic people, and extremely racist by almost any western standards (we won't even get into their extreme sexism). Anyone who denies this is either completely ignorant about modern day Japan or has flexible standards when it comes to racism.

BTW, another interesting feature of Japan is that there is little crime. Of course, in part this is due to the efficiency fo the Japanese police in convicting those who commit crimes. Most arrests end in confession. The methods routinely used to extract those confessions would not be approved of in any western state.

There is nothing wrong with calling Stronach a dipstick. It might not be the most sophisticated language, but it merely echoes what most in the media have said; stronach is not exactly a genius, nor well-read, nor well educated.

But she was smart enough for the Cons at one time.

The cons were at least smart enough to keep her as a backbencher, not make her one of the most important ministers in cabinet, with sweeping resposibilities well beyond her abilities.

I'm borrowing the following from another discussion board however it is priceless, apart from being an accurate perception the Conservatives have created for themselves with comments like Fletchers, amongst Canadians:
Cleansing bigots from the Conservative Party would be like barring recovering alcoholics from AA. All you'd be left with is some easily-confused teetotaler who really meant to join the American Automobile Association but stayed for the free coffee and doughnuts.

Yes, all those millions of conservative voters are bigots. They are not nearly as enlightened and tolerant as - well - someone who would post a sweeping generalization saying all conservatives are bigots.

But she was smart enough for the Cons at one time.

The cons were at least smart enough to keep her as a backbencher, not make her one of the most important ministers in cabinet, with sweeping resposibilities well beyond her abilities.

I find this hilarious, she was fron and center when she was of use to the Conservatives, presenting a more moderate (and female) picture for young Conservative voters... hilarious, if Harper crossed I suppose you'd say he was dipstick and a whore too...

My money says she whoops whoever she is up against in her riding the next go round.

Oh... and also... you Cons will still be bitter about it.

Not only will Belinda take her seat but the publicizing of Harper's treatment of her will become a lightening rod, will galvanize voters, and will ensure that it is going to be very slim pickings for most Conservatives in Ontario (sililiar to the the present Liberal situation in Quebec). :lol:

Not only will Belinda take her seat but the publicizing of Harper's treatment of her will become a lightening rod, will galvanize voters, and will ensure that it is going to be very slim pickings for most Conservatives in Ontario (sililiar to the the present Liberal situation in Quebec).  :lol:

And yet, they will STILL get far, far, far more vots than the NDP.

Gee, I wonder why that is? :blink: