Letter sent to politicians across Canada

Production: Five million carats in five years

Diamond production has gone from zero to almost five million carats in five short years. In 2001, there was a 53% increase in the quantity of diamonds mined from the previous year; in 2002 carat recovery increased by 34% over 2001.

The value of production has increased accordingly, from zero prior to 1998 to just over $800 million in 2002

http://www.statcan.ca/english/research/11-...-MIE2004008.htm

Also, why would being "sandwiched" by the U.S. be a bad thing? The U.S. is our ally, protector, and largest trading partner...

No they are not our ally and protector. The p[resent administration is our biggest liability and their trading practices do not meet international or NAFTA standards.

So, they are not states either. Who cares. They are inhabited by tax paying Canadians on Canadian soil. Their vote should be just as important as any province.

Respectfully, I disagree. I've indicated my reasons above. The territories are not provincial enough. Neither is any state in the USA.

yvestar I don't know where you get your information, or lack thereof, but there is a huge difference between a US territory and a Canadian territory. The citizens in US territories are not US citizens; they are not officially part of the USA and they do not pay taxes to the USA.

In Canada the territories are just as integral a part of the country as is a province. They are Canadian citizens, they pay the same taxes as we do in the provinces, they hold Canadian birth certificates. Don't they teach you guys anything in schools? Territorial ground has been a part of Canada as long as the western provinces. The difference is that they are not as populated as a province, therefore, the territorial designation.

By the way, both NWT and Yukon have community colleges that are affiliated with southern universities.

Are you sure US teritories are not citazens of the US ? don't sound right to me .

I was in peurta rico last winter and I if i remember right a fellow told me they was U.S citazens of course i could be wrong.

Also I know in california alot of the crews on boats was from american somoa and i know they could come work in the mainland US with out visas.

Just want to comment on the education .

I think its discusting the difference in what some races pay for educating our children.

I have a daughter (who is a good Child and deserves a good education) who is trying to get a education . Ive helped her some but because of ITQ Quota fees our goverment forces me to pay to the mofia and to native bands (you can get better deals from Natives then the mofia). I was not able to help her much . So she will be in debt up to her ears when leaveing school . And then she could not afford the school she wanted .Probly when she does get out ,she won't stand a chance at a Job any way as most jobs will probly only for other races by that time .

I also have friends that are native , one told me the other day that he made 90,000 thousand dollars last year All tax free . His boat was bought by the goverment , and free licences and quotas .

He said his daughter was going to colledge next year and his daughters education would be 100% paid for .(He don't live on a reserve)

So here I am forced to pay 1/2 every thing I can catch fishing to natives who now own the ITQs quotas. So I really can't make a cent any more , and if I do im taxed silly so they can buy up more of my rights for natives to sell back to me with my tax money.

And my Daughter don't stand a chance of being equal no matter how good of kid she is or how smart .

The Natives Daughter (might be good kid too,i don't know) could actually go to colledge just for the party if she wanted ,who cares its all free .

Almost as bad as moose hunting .

The other morning reading the paper i seen where they caught 2 white men shooting a couple moose . Was chargeing them under Indangered speices act and talking 250,000 dollar fines .

A while back I was in a natives house ,he was cutting a deer up on his kitchen table that he jacked the night before .

He told me the next day he was going to shoot a moose he had shot one 2 weeks or so before but it had rotted and so he wanted to go shoot a other one .Said he might shoot a other 2-3 .

He was actually lauphing at the fact that sometimes he just shot deer to hang in front of his house to tease game wardens .

The citizens in US territories are not US citizens; they are not officially part of the USA and they do not pay taxes to the USA.

They are US citizens. They are officially a part of the USA. They pay federal taxes.

http://cefus.net/background/

By the way, both NWT and Yukon have community colleges that are affiliated with southern universities.

These are not stand-alone colleges or univerisities. Big difference.

Territorial ground has been a part of Canada as long as the western provinces. The difference is that they are not as populated as a province, therefore, the territorial designation.

It's not the only reason.

They are NOT full US citizens. They cannot vote. They cannot just move to the US willy nilly. They are colonies so to speak. They have no say in US policies, etc. except perhaps if it involves their territory directly. It is a whole different concept than of our territories. Our territories were not annexed, they were part of this country as long as any of the western provinces. Remember most of western Canada was a territory at one time, in fact one big territory. Different regions evolved making the boundaries of the provinces and the territories. Big difference if you want to see those differences. If you don't, well that's your shortcoming.

The territories were purchased by the Canadian government from the Hudson's Bay Company. It can be said they were annexed.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book...ionary&va=annex

annex: to incorporate (a country or other territory) within the domain of a state

Anyhow, it's irrelevant if they were annexed or not. The fact remains: the territories are not provincial and should not be granted the same political decision making power as the provinces.

I'm not a big fan of US politics but they have it right this time when it comes to a territory and voting in federal politics. These territorial residents are full citizens (ie birth certificate, passport) of USA with the exception they cannot vote in federal elections.

In order for the Canadian territories to receive a lot more money in the future to become provinces sooner, they must give something up in return.

Guest eureka

Try looking at the Rupertsland Act (1868) and the Rupertlsland and North West Territories Order (1870).

You may then stop talking nonsense.

The territories are part of Canada. The American "territories" are extra-territorial dependencies, not part of the American territory.

Citizens of the Canadian territories are Canadian citizens and not some hybrid.

The territories are part of Canada. The American "territories" are extra-territorial dependencies, not part of the American territory.

This is such a bogus argument.

The American territories are connected to the USA. Much the same as Canadian territories to Canada. Their is very little difference between the two definitions except American territories cannot vote in federal elections.

So I guess, Alaska and Hawaii are extra-stately dependencies that are not part of the American territory(mainland)?

And what about the Arizona Territory? (I'm quoting below an American poster in another forum)

The US has added to its territory through purchases, wars, negotiations, and outright confiscation of territory. The territories that comprise the 48 contiguous states today were not completely assimilated until 1912, when the Arizona Territory became the 48th state to be admitted to the union.

IIRC, it takes 60,000 votes to apply for statehood, and without special allowances from Congress (as in D.C.), people in territories are citizens but they cannot vote in federal elections which pivot on statehood and provisions of the US Constitution. They can vote in local and territorial elections.

Guest eureka

Why do you not start applying a little inrelligence to your sauce. Read the Acts I referenced. The whole of Canada outside of the original colonies was a territory of Canada - part of Canada that had not then the population to become provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba was part of the territory.

Alaska was purchaed by the USA long after the foundation of the United States. Other parts were conquered and other parts were territories just like the Canadian.

And that will do for me. I have no time or patience for this nonsense.