American in Search of Mutual Information Exchange

As a former political science major I've always been fascinated by other world cultures---and their governments especially. So I figured I should google "Canadian political discussion boards" and I came up with Maple Leaf Web. So, I joined.

I'm hoping that the members here can discuss with me, not only issues affecting Canadian-American relations, but topics about Canada itself, in particular. Political Science major or not, I don't know everything there is to know about my own country--how many people do you meet on the street in Toronto or New York who do, right? But I figured I can learn a lot about Canada from a website like this that you couldn't learn elsewhere.

Sure, I could look on Wikipedia: it will tell me the difference between the Queen in Parliament, or Queen on the Bench or Queen in Council; that it has a bicameral Parliament consisting of an appointed Senate and an elected House of Commons; or look at the CIA World Factbook and find out your population is 35,099,836 (July, 2015 estimate), making it the largest of the fifteen Commonwealth Realms outside of the UK....big deal, I could find that stuff out in 15 seconds, and little of it more than scratches the surface.

But if I wanted to go deeper, I figured it was best I logged onto a site like this one.

So if nobody minds, I'll just sit back and watch...and occasionally throw myself into the gladiatorial arena just to pick your brains. If nobody has a problem with that.

Warmest regards,

The Right Honourable James Hacker, M.P.

Yes, welcome, and remember, when you post on here, if you ask me for a straight answer, then I shall say that, as far as we can see, looking at it by and large, taking one thing with another in terms of the average of posts, then in the final analysis it is probably true to say, that at the end of the day, in general terms, you would probably find that, not to put too fine a point on it, there probably wasn't very much in it one way or the other. As far as one can see, at this stage.

Yes, Minister :)-

Actually, according to this website I'm merely a "junior member" which probably equates, in your political system, to a lowly P.P.S.!

[Hacker]: So, who else is in this department?

[Humphrey]: Well, briefly, sir, I am the Permanent Undersecretary of State, known as the Permanent Secretary. Wooley, here is your Principal Private Secretary. I, too have a Principal Private Secretary; and he is the Principal Private Secretary to the Permanent Secretary. Directly responsible to me are 10 Deputy Secretaries, 87 Under Secretaries and 219 Assistant Secretaries. Directly responsible to the Principal Private Secretaries are Plain Private Secretaries; and the Prime Minister will be appointing two Parliamentary Undersecretaries and you will be appointing your own Parliamentary Private Secretary.

[Hacker]: Do they all type?

[Humphrey]: None of can type, Minister; Mrs. McKye types: she's the Secretary.

God, I'm not even that..... :lol: