Flood Control

Argus

Is it not possible to tweak this a bit. I mean, if there are a total of three people on at any given time, and I'm responding on a thread which hasn't seen a previous message in two days, I still have to wait thirty seconds before posting a second time because of "flood control". If no one else is currently posting to the same thread - or at least the same group - shouldn't flood control be innactive?

Funnily enough my first attempt to reply to this failed because of flood control.

I was going to make the suggestion that perhaps flood control would be more bearable if it was renamed. If it was "Gather Your Thoughts" control we might be more paitent. Or perhaps "We Cannot Process So Much Genius So Quickly" control.

Seriously though, while I can see your point I can also see the practical purpose of flood control and thirty seconds isn't really that long to wait. And it is extra time to gather your thoughts.

Dear Argus,

Flood Control is a crucial piece of the anti-abuse features on this site. I had been on a previous (now defunct) forum where one poster flooded the forum for days on end. When I asked this poster to take that sort of wasteful garbage posting elsewhere, his response was "Screw you" and then he hit 'enter post' for about 3 hrs. Nitwits like this are rare, but they are out there.

The Moderator, Flood control, and the general goodwill of the posters here make this one of the best forums I have come across.

On my forum I am less generous than Greg. I had a spammer there for a short while while I was away. On my return, I baned his IP then set the flood control from nothing up to a minute and a half. During a four day period he had made over a hundred posts all in caps. I suspect that he had a war of some kind with a couple of the members who had come over from another forum in order to escape what else - a spammer who recited epic religious passeges, all in caps.

The 'genius reflection control' is a small price to pay for board integrity I think.

Dear Argus,

Flood Control is a crucial piece of the anti-abuse features on this site. I had been on a previous (now defunct) forum where one poster flooded the forum for days on end. When I asked this poster to take that sort of wasteful garbage posting elsewhere, his response was "Screw you" and then he hit 'enter post' for about 3 hrs. Nitwits like this are rare, but they are out there.

The Moderator, Flood control, and the general goodwill of the posters here make this one of the best forums I have come across.

It's better to deal with the individuals rather than punish the entire community. How hard would it be to boot such a person and delete their posts?

Dear Argus,

It's better to deal with the individuals rather than punish the entire community. How hard would it be to boot such a person and delete their posts?

Quite a bit harder than you might think if it is determined. Anonymizing software can let them creep back in, even when banned.

How about applying it more carefully, then? For example, at present it seems to be 30 seconds from when you post a message, to when you can begin to respond to another. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the clock be set from when you post one message to when you post your next message? Even one minute would be less of an irritant under those circumstances, unless you write a lot of one-line posts.

For example, at present it seems to be 30 seconds from when you post a message, to when you can begin to respond to another.

I thought it was 30 seconds between posts?

Let me test this

Nope you are right.

I think your suggestion:

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the clock be set from when you post one message to when you post your next message?

Makes perfect sense.