How Much Do "Enviro" Policies Help the Environment?

I can think of at least four examples where policies designed to help the environment either accomplish nothing, or cause damage:

Limitation of wattage of light bulbs - The floor lamp in our bedroom fried its wires about a month ago. In trying to replace the lamp, the only options are low wattage bulbs. Result I will have to use recessed ceiling lights (about six 60 watt bulbs) or a chandelier. In either case, lots of money spent and more power used.

Toilet Paper - The toilet paper sold today does not stand up to wiping during an elimination of excrement. The result is the need to use many more folds of paper and still a result of not really a good cleaning, and dirty, smelly fingers.

Trash Recycling - I have seen where the trash and "recyclables" go. Usually the all wind up in the same place. With the exception, sometimes, of paper (depending on the pulp market) it is rarely economical to reuse "recycled" trash. We feel good and avoid municipal fines. That's it.

Air and Water Regulations - Factories rarely had the resources, after the passage of the Clean Air Act of 1970 to upgrade. Result is that the factory jobs that used to benefit lower middle class and minority children are now slave labor jobs in China and Pakistan.

In short, how is there any benefit, beyond a few politicians feeling good and many bureaucrats being employed? What are we really accomplishing?

No citations or evidence for these silly "enviro" issues.

Maybe the OP has trouble wiping his own rear end..... maybe TP companies are using less paper to make more profit for their shareholders.

Both of these seem more likely than "enviros" changing the very nature of TP.

No citations or evidence for these silly "enviro" issues.

Maybe the OP has trouble wiping his own rear end..... maybe TP companies are using less paper to make more profit for their shareholders.

Both of these seem more likely than "enviros" changing the very nature of TP.

It's a really shi**y problem, we all agree. Why don't you experiment to find out.

It's a really shi**y problem, we all agree. Why don't you experiment to find out.

I agree with an earlier poster. Charmin ultra soft. Great stuff.

But on that topic we have low flow toilets. These are designed to use much less water, and have two settings, to allow for use during #1 and #2. Good theory, poor function. The low level of water in the toilet bowl allows for solids to adhere to the side of the bowl, requiring multiple flushings and negating any savings. One of the first changes I made in my new house was ditching them.

Also, tankless hot water heaters. The theory being that instead of keeping a large tank on boil you only heat it when you need it, thus saving energy. The reality is that you have to wait a bit after you turn on the hot water before you GET hot water. More than a minute, in fact, and all that water is just down the drain and wasted. Also, the tank, when actually IN use, burns a lot of energy to heat the water so fast. What you save in gas you use in electricity -- or is it vice versa? Plus you lose water. Dumb idea I'm looking to get rid of.

On a larger scale, of course, you have dumb energy ideas like just about any of the ones Ontario has in place. Raise the price of energy and heavy users (read manufacturing) flee, often to third world jurisdictions where they not only don't have to worry about high energy costs, or 'cap and trade' but don't have to worry much about any pollution laws. So you get a loss of jobs, massively increased energy costs, and in the end, no savings whatever for CO2 emissions.

Edited by Argus

On the hydro in Ontario, it seems to me, the more we conserve, the more Hydro charges, so is the answer to use as much as we need and perhaps the rates wouldn't go up because of money being lost t from customers not using as much or it really doesn't matter they will find a reason the upped the rates??

I agree with an earlier poster. Charmin ultra soft. Great stuff.

Clogs toilets. We tried it and wound up with a visit from a plumber. And you cannot use a plunger in a low flush toilet.

On the hydro in Ontario, it seems to me, the more we conserve, the more Hydro charges, so is the answer to use as much as we need and perhaps the rates wouldn't go up because of money being lost t from customers not using as much or it really doesn't matter they will find a reason the upped the rates??

We have actually changed our life style in our house because of the hydro bill. It started as a spite game but now we look for as much as we can for area's too save.

We cut cable and home phones now only paying for the internet. We have internet boxes hooked up to our tv's so no need for cable or the taxes on that and we have cell phones. I also paid cash for the boxes so did not pay tax. Use Kijiji for any purchases I can to avoid HST and recycling fee's.

Buy gas on the rez for a little cheaper. It is on my way to work and the coffee place is pretty good and tax free.

We also only do laundry at night or weekends. I have not figured out how to feed my kids after 7 pm when they have school in the morning so we gave that up but BBQ season is about to start so that will help. I have been nickel and dime for years so now we are looking at ways to avoid it. There is a huge economy boom if you know where to look and with the prices about to go even higher it should have more of a selection.

I totally disagree with topaz. I have replaced all the bulbs in my house with no problems and my bills are less. I have no idea which city you live in, but our recycling program has decreased the amount of waste in our landfill by some 46% over the time it has been in place. Recycled items are reused and put back in the system making cost savings for many businesses and also creating jobs.

As for jobs, corporations and factories blaming the clean water act are also the ones forced to improve their operations with technology that is the biggest job killer of all. That is just progress not a legislated clean water bill.

Finally, most legislation is only as good as the people obeying it, and all indications are that abuses are still prevalent. Our planet is being killed by our irresponsible actions and we must ALL become involved to save it. Picking up trash you see, not throwing coffee cups or other such items out your car window, car pooling and use of transit and even composting are all ways we as individuals can contribute. The best way I, however, is to accept our responsibility at the voting bic and let our political leaders know the climate and the future of the planet matter to us and that any party or leader that does not support us will not be tolerated.