Are Fire Fighters wasting our money?

16 hours ago, Argus said:

Yeah? Do our construction workers make more than the ones in New York, London and Paris? Do our doctors? Our lawyers? Our architects? Do our fast food cooks and waiters make more than the ones in New York, London and Paris? You realize the cost of living in New York, Paris and London is way higher than in Timmins or Sudbury, right? 

The only people we have who make more in small town Ontario than in NYC, Paris and London are government employees. 

All depends on the local market. Also I think it's better to compare canadian cities to canadian cities. There is no way you can make a proper comparison between firehalls in NYC and firehalls in Toronto.

6 hours ago, GostHacked said:

All depends on the local market. Also I think it's better to compare canadian cities to canadian cities. There is no way you can make a proper comparison between firehalls in NYC and firehalls in Toronto.

Nonsense. Canada has the most expensive public servants on planet earth. There's no reason not to point that out through comparison, especially when the comparison is some of the world's most expensive cities to live in. If you can come up with a reason why the firefighters in Timmins Ontario should make more than the ones in London, Paris, Rome or New York I'm all ears. Then we can work on why our teachers and bus drivers are paid so much compared to the rest of the world. 

53 minutes ago, Argus said:

Nonsense. Canada has the most expensive public servants on planet earth. There's no reason not to point that out through comparison, especially when the comparison is some of the world's most expensive cities to live in. If you can come up with a reason why the firefighters in Timmins Ontario should make more than the ones in London, Paris, Rome or New York I'm all ears. Then we can work on why our teachers and bus drivers are paid so much compared to the rest of the world. 

Teachers get paid because not only do they have to put up with your possibly problematic child, they have to do that 30x over for each class and for about 6-8 hrs each day. 

But again, I think it's a problem comparing Timmins to London or Paris.  Is the pay the same? What are you taking in account of? Is it because the dollar is weaker than the pound or the franc meaning the wage would seem higher but in the overall scheme of things, it is actually the same?

Now again the better comparison is, Timmins and Toronto.  There is really no use talking about how firefighters are paid in other countries. They also operate different than here. So are we taking in all the facts to make a proper comparison? Have there been any studied to show numbers?

2 hours ago, GostHacked said:

Teachers get paid because not only do they have to put up with your possibly problematic child, they have to do that 30x over for each class and for about 6-8 hrs each day. 

I wasn't aware teachers in London, New York, and Paris didn't have to cope with such things. To say nothing of the teachers in Buffalo and Ogdensburg. 

But again, I think it's a problem comparing Timmins to London or Paris.  Is the pay the same? What are you taking in account of? Is it because the dollar is weaker than the pound or the franc meaning the wage would seem higher but in the overall scheme of things, it is actually the same?

You actually think I would compare C$ wages to british pound wages without converting them?

Now again the better comparison is, Timmins and Toronto.  There is really no use talking about how firefighters are paid in other countries. They also operate different than here. So are we taking in all the facts to make a proper comparison? Have there been any studied to show numbers?

The pay for a firefighter in Timmons and Toronto, like the pay for a police officer in Timmins and Toronto, is the same. This is due to a provincial law which municipalities have been begging the Liberals to change for years because it's driving them bankrupt. The Liberals have ignored them because they're being paid off by the public sector unions. Hell, the Ontario Provincial Police union even took out political ads to help the Liberals last election.

Edited by Argus

It is good to be able to vote in who employs you. I just wonder why no members of the elite have coined a phrase for the "super citizen" status of public sector unions.

Dang, not even my social Studies teacher in High School made mention of this. He did say that the gov't pays its workers will since "gov't sets an example for the private sector." Yea really hahaha