Conservative Coruption in Quebec?

Smallc

The history of federal Canadian governments indicates that 8 years is about as long as any one is able to maintain power. I believe that process to be healthy and due to the system rather than any particular policy. These governments are made up of humans with human strengths and frailties. The longer a government is in power, the more results of human frailties are revealed and the less the public begins to trust it. Most governments are defeated by the "death of a thousand cuts" rather than a "beheading". This is another "cut".

I have no doubt that the Harper government has reached its limit and will soon have to turn power over to another government - who will begin its own process with a similar end.

Edited by Big Guy

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/cabinet-minister-s-riding-may-have-received-25k-from-snc-lavalin-execs-1.2125096

If true, this will be the definitive end of Harper in Ottawa. Take note - corruption in government is something that people care about.

Corruption involves a quid pro quo. We haven't seen the 'quo' yet.

It appears from the story that they donated money to both Liberals and Conservatives, which makes this more a Quebec thing than a Tory thing, and I think most outside Quebec will take it that way. I don't think Harper will be happy about this, though, and - again, assuming the story is true - I expect firings.

Agh, now I see why. Updated versions of the story now show that the money went to the Liberals as well. Even if people care, the Conservatives now won't be punished for this.

Companies don't donate money to political parties anonymously. They want those parties to know they're donating money so they can get something back. So someone in both parties had to be aware of this or there wouldn't be any point in the donation.

It was entirely legal in 2009 for someone to make a personal donation to a riding up to $1100. So 10 managers and their wives could amount to 20 donations for a total of $22,000. It would be illegal if SNC Lavelin reimbursed them all. If there is impropriety, it would seem that it might lie with SNC - or no one at all. Lazy journalism.