Venezuala, Cuba and Iran try to hack US Nuclear Facilities

Argus

Does not even need to be a virus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003

The blackout's primary cause was a software bug in the alarm system at a control room of the FirstEnergy Corporation, located in Ohio. A lack of alarm left operators unaware of the need to re-distribute power after overloaded transmission lines hit unpruned foliage, which triggered a race condition in the control software. What would have been a manageable local blackout cascaded into widespread distress on the electric grid.

As I said the more things are connected, the more of a cascading effect you will see with technology failing over a widespread area.

Does not even need to be a virus.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003As I said the more things are connected, the more of a cascading effect you will see with technology failing over a widespread area.

That is a fact in life....a bug or programming/design flaw. The blackout...is wholly different than an "overload meltdown", whatever that is.

As to your other details they loaded a back-up generator until it tripped....whoopdeedo.....I could do that by switching on a light in a plant out of sequence. There are emergency generators and battery banks......again no overload mushroom cloud.

Our power and internet infrastructure does seem vulnerable to cyber/computer attacks. I think in the event of a conflict between two tech superpowers (ie china/usa/russia?/other?) you would see some critical vulnerabilities exposed. Maybe the military stuff is probably secure but I can imagine a lot of the civilian and commercial infrastructure being targeted/reduced. It's simply too exposed to the internet.

That is a fact in life....a bug or programming/design flaw. The blackout...is wholly different than an "overload meltdown", whatever that is.

As to your other details they loaded a back-up generator until it tripped....whoopdeedo.....I could do that by switching on a light in a plant out of sequence. There are emergency generators and battery banks......again no overload mushroom cloud.

But the result was a few days with millions and millions out of power. Bringing things to almost a complete standstill. Lucky it was not a terror attack. But the result will mean plants go offline even if they don't meltdown.

Our power and internet infrastructure does seem vulnerable to cyber/computer attacks. I think in the event of a conflict between two tech superpowers (ie china/usa/russia?/other?) you would see some critical vulnerabilities exposed. Maybe the military stuff is probably secure but I can imagine a lot of the civilian and commercial infrastructure being targeted/reduced. It's simply too exposed to the internet.

Whether terrorist attack or not, if you live on the technological edge....be prepared to slip over the side a coupke of times.

Whether terrorist attack or not, if you live on the technological edge....be prepared to slip over the side a coupke of times.

And that is something that I am giving warning about, and have been for some time. The slips cannot be avoided and be severely minimized if implemented correctly. Some things don't need connectivity for functionality.

If a software bug can take out power for 1/5th of the continent, then imagine what a real terror attack could accomplish. Time to rethink this 'always connected' society.