800 Mil for Military trucks

Replacing the military's medium size trucks will cost 800 Mil and tenders are going out on it. I thought they had already decided on US Navistar for this? God, knows they need the money, as they are being sued by different companies and groups. I don't think there's a Canadian company that can fill the orders so it'll probably be a US company. http://dcnonl.com/nw/34248/gc

Guest Derek L

The Navistar order was for vehicles to be used at home rather than in dangerous locations. This order is for militarized vehicles, and is many years late.

Exactly........The delays in the deployable portion (and one could add the CCV program) can be attributed to changing requirements (IED and mine protection) and the ensuing escalation in cost.......hence delays.

They've been trying to buy these things forever. I frankly think that DND should not be allowed to buy anything any more, not even toilet paper for the johns or pencils for their clerks. We need to fire everyone there even remotely involved with purchasing, and give the job to another agency. There used to be a department called DSS, Department of Supply and Services. It centrally purchased a lot of stuff. We need another one like that. DND should be allowed to offer its opinions on military gear, but have no other say in what's ordered. They're beyond incompetent, and have been that way for decades. It's an institutional thing that can't be solved.

Guest Derek L

They've been trying to buy these things forever. I frankly think that DND should not be allowed to buy anything any more, not even toilet paper for the johns or pencils for their clerks. We need to fire everyone there even remotely involved with purchasing, and give the job to another agency. There used to be a department called DSS, Department of Supply and Services. It centrally purchased a lot of stuff. We need another one like that. DND should be allowed to offer its opinions on military gear, but have no other say in what's ordered. They're beyond incompetent, and have been that way for decades. It's an institutional thing that can't be solved.

I see you need to further your understanding of how defence procurement works in Canada…….DND is only part of the (problem) process that’s made up of various other Federal departments, the Provinces and their respected ministries and the Political actors……….creating another agency will not help maters as you proposed, fore DSS and Public works were amalgamated in the earlier 90s to create the agency we have today.
In actual fact, your proposal of handing procurement over to “DSS” is what the current Government is doing with defence procurement……..
Of note, during the last ~7 years, the major & minor procurement purchases for DND that have arrived both on time and on budget (slightly under actually for the Chinooks sustainment/support portion) have been sole sourced contracts with namely principle DND involvement…….to add, DND is also one of the few Federal departments that returns the unused portions of it’s budget each year.