POOR GRADES FOR BC SCHOOLS

Low marks for public education

August 30, 2004 - 11:19 am

By: Tammy Moyer

Public education in BC is the pits according to a new survey.  Just over half of people who responded are actually satisfied with the system; that's the lowest rate in the country.  But the education minister says there's a problem with this poll: it only measures public opinion.  Tom Christenson says it doesn't deal directly with people involved in the education system so they may not know what's going on in the classroom.

What a poor excuse.

The BC public school system has been a running joke for the past 30 years or more.

I graduated from High School back in the late 70's, and the main thing I learned was that all I had to do was show up to class, don't make the teachers life a misery, and do a minimum amount of work (more often then not, just showing up to class and quietly bsing with your friends counts as the minimum)....and you would automatically get bounced up to the next grade right up to and including graduation.

By the time I decided on going to college after leaving the Army, I had come to realize that my time in High School had not prepared me for the rigours of post-secondary education. My study habits were crap, my writting skills even worse (they have improved since then, but thank the gods that be for word processors and spell check), my ability to research was basically non-existant. And sadly I was not alone in this, basically a large portion of the first year in college was spent in manditory remedial training to bring college students writting skills up to at least Jr Sec levels.

Ten years after graduating from college, I was back in school retraining at BCIT after a bad accident. I was what they called a mature student whose post college career did not require any writing or research skills. (Studied criminology and ended up driving a truck :D )

To my horror, I discovered that the high school grads of the early 90's had even less writting, study and research skills then those of the 70's. Because of their lack of skills and motivation, I always ended up being the editor and complier for all the group projects I had to be part of.

Somehow I doubt things have gotten any better in the past ten years, in fact judging from what I have seen in the way of covering letters that cross my desk from recent high school and college grads, I can safely say they have become worse.

It's the students fault for not trying hard enough.

how so, In my personal expirence my performance int he class was directly linked to the performance of the teacher, if the teacher performed well i performed well, if the teacher performed poorly I myself tended to perform poorly, If the ciriculum was loosely based, un inspired and poorly taught the teachers got the same back. In all honestly if the school system si failing it is an absolute joke to blame it ont he student considering he/she is not adequatley taught. Infact I have seen many reports that have come out recently rejecting this archaic statement, wether it is concerning public education or post-secondary education, schools are beging to realise that sttudents are willing to learn if given the resources and attention.