I am dismayed by those in court

Guest Peeves

Guest Peeves

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/09/28/g20-protester-who-attacked-occupied-police-car-sentence-to-10-months-prison/

Ewwww They're soooo nasty, I could just tweak their kiddie nose.

Makes you wonder what kind of government THEY want don't it?

A downtown courthouse erupted into chaos Friday as supporters of convicted G20 vandal George Horton cursed police and denounced the provincial court system.

First, Horton’s friends snickered derisively as Justice Beverly Brown outlined the terror Staff-Sgt. Graham Queen felt in June 2010 as the accused joined a group of black-clad rioters to attack his squad car, trapping the officer inside.

Then, after police asked Horton’s supporters for silence, one man shouted an obscenity and thrust his middle finger toward Staff-Sgt. Queen. A brief skirmish ensued and police forcibly ejected the man, while other supporters followed, screaming insults.

Outside court, Staff-Sgt. Queen said he was satisfied with the judgment but disappointed by the behaviour of Horton’s supporters in court.

“I know they have a difference of opinion… but I think when you come into a courtroom, you need to show respect and I think they showed a lack of respect today,” Staff-Sgt. Queen said.

Horton’s friends, meanwhile, remained furious at the outcome, with Zach Ruiter telling reporters: “He’s a political prisoner and we all know it.”

Guest Peeves

'you need to show respect and I think they showed a lack of respect today,” Staff-Sgt. Queen said.'

Hey Sarge, goes both ways.

Absolutely, but that doesn't excuse boorish court behavior nor the anarchist 'tude.

May not excuse it , however only one of those actions is criminal.

So which is worse, violation of rights, or incivility?

How exactly did he violate their rights by sitting petrified in his car while they tried to kill him?

Ten months is a ludicrously light sentence.

How exactly did he violate their rights by sitting petrified in his car while they tried to kill him?

Well, of course, he violated their rights because he's a cop and they're protesters and some other protesters had their rights violated by some other cops that weekend. That justification for these goons hapless protesters' behaviour both on the streets and in the court room is so simple I'm surprised you had to ask. ;)

The 24-year-old social assistance recipient from Peterborough was convicted of intimidating a justice system participant, mischief, wearing a disguise and assaulting a police officer.

I wonder if someone will look in to his social assistance. What was he protesting? Not enough welfare?

He got ten months for kicking a police car... Seems a little heavy handed to me...

Of all the instances (even just the video taped ones)of police beating and violating the rights peaceful protesters, how many of them were sentenced to even a single day in jail for their criminal behaviour?

He got ten months for kicking a police car... Seems a little heavy handed to me...

Of all the instances (even just the video taped ones)of police beating and violating the rights peaceful protesters, how many of them were sentenced to even a single day in jail for their criminal behaviour?

The court has heard Horton engaged in a swath of destruction, attacking several police cars, a CBC news van and a Tim Hortons outlet. As other protesters smashed the windows of Staff-Sgt. Queen’s cruiser, Horton kicked the driver’s side door — the only thing separating the veteran officer from hordes of angry protesters.

And thats only the things they caught him doing.What is the proper punishment for attacking a police officer, damaging public property as well as private property and terrorizing innocent people?

The court has heard Horton engaged in a swath of destruction, attacking several police cars, a CBC news van and a Tim Hortons outlet. As other protesters smashed the windows of Staff-Sgt. Queen’s cruiser, Horton kicked the driver’s side door — the only thing separating the veteran officer from hordes of angry protesters.

“He was intimidated in the most serious and dramatic way possible,” Judge Brown said, calling Horton’s actions “considered and intentional” for the duration of his G20 rampage.

Seems like a right nasty little git to me. Got off very lightly.

Any policeman or women who was seen on videotape to be using force without good reason should be charged too. They should be allowed to use whatever force is necessary to defend themselves, the public, and any businesses that are attacked, though.

ok, I had only read that he kicked the door of the police car, not the other businesses and vehicles. Perhaps the 10 mths was reasonable.

I still stand by my point though, we've yet to see those public officials held to account, aside from the one officer, for what they did.

Big mess any way you look at it though.

Yes, well, I am sure the cop felt petrified and dropped crocodile tears. But frankly < i dont believe him for a second.

With the police presence that day, once call on the radio and armeggedon would have rained down.

It all seems so...staged?

Ten months is a ludicrously light sentence.

Not sure about that, perhaps so.

But the point I was trying to make , and not very well I grant, was that on the whole there were great violations of rights, a moderate amount of public property damage , yet on the whole only one side has seen the inside of a courtroom for thier actions.

Toronto cops did themselves an enormous amount of damage. And they know it.

We saw it this summer with the shooting in Scarborough, the police complained loudly that no one would help them identify anyone involved. Those who could help suggested that #1- if we do, will you protect us? No they wont #2- the public asked for the cops help to identify the cops seen on video beating and or violating the rights of innocent protesters, the cops answered that we dont know who they are.

So?

The street goes both ways, and the cops in all their infinite wisdom, managed to shoot themsleves in the foot.

Edited by guyser

Guest Peeves

Yes, well, I am sure the cop felt petrified and dropped crocodile tears. But frankly < i dont believe him for a second.

With the police presence that day, once call on the radio and armeggedon would have rained down.

It all seems so...staged?

Not sure about that, perhaps so.

But the point I was trying to make , and not very well I grant, was that on the whole there were great violations of rights, a moderate amount of public property damage , yet on the whole only one side has seen the inside of a courtroom for thier actions.

Toronto cops did themselves an enormous amount of damage. And they know it.

We saw it this summer with the shooting in Scarborough, the police complained loudly that no one would help them identify anyone involved. Those who could help suggested that #1- if we do, will you protect us? No they wont #2- the public asked for the cops help to identify the cops seen on video beating and or violating the rights of innocent protesters, the cops answered that we dont know who they are.

So?

The street goes both ways, and the cops in all their infinite wisdom, managed to shoot themsleves in the foot.

While I can appreciate your well but response, it seems yours is an attempt to diminish the actions of a violent lawbreaker.

My concern and subject was the behavior of those anarchists in our courts. My concern extends to the guy that reached into a police car with a post hitting him on the head. My concern is that these violent protesters can get into and then denigrate,insult and threaten our courts and our judges.

It is sometimes enough to concur with the subject point without any yes buts.

I don't take issue with your position,simply that I think it is a different issue.

I would have points to make were this thread about the G20 event in toto.

I did not reference the following that was in the link, as it wasn't refering to this individual, but now it should be included. This cop was a victim and the behavior in court was indefensible and not in need of a yes but defense.

"In a previous victim-impact statement, Staff-Sgt. Queen told the court he feared for his life during the incident, prompting him to issue the second distress call of his two-decade policing career. One of Horton’s accomplices — who is currently in the United States, where police have launched extradition efforts — struck Staff-Sgt. Queen with a pole in the back of the head.

The judge lauded the officer’s behaviour that day, noting he refused to drive away for fear of striking any protesters — ultimately placing public safety over self-preservation."

Edited by Peeves

While I can appreciate your well but response, it seems yours is an attempt to diminish the actions of a violent lawbreaker.

If that was the impression given, it was not intended. The actions of the protestor are wrong and nothing should mitigate that.

My concern and subject was the behavior of those anarchists in our courts.

If you have ever been in a court when the police are the ones charged, you will know the intimidation, inside and outside of that court far exceeds what any protestor could accomplish. That is intimidating knowing they have the law on their side. It is sickening and can be seen on news reports.The biggest burliest bad ass cops at bthe front, glowering.

My concern extends to the guy that reached into a police car with a post hitting him on the head. My concern is that these violent protesters can get into and then denigrate,insult and threaten our courts and our judges.

Mine isnt.

The judge in the court has the power over everyone. If he fails to keep his court in check, thats his problem. He can order all to be arrested presumably after one warning. Contempt charges are nothing to sneer at, but the loss of control is his fault.

Look, they may be boors, ignorant little shits, I get that, but the court and the judge have the control.

I did not reference the following that was in the link, as it wasn't refering to this individual, but now it should be included. This cop was a victim and the behavior in court was indefensible and not in need of a yes but defense.

"In a previous victim-impact statement, Staff-Sgt. Queen told the court he feared for his life during the incident, prompting him to issue the second distress call of his two-decade policing career. One of Horton’s accomplices — who is currently in the United States, where police have launched extradition efforts — struck Staff-Sgt. Queen with a pole in the back of the head.

The judge lauded the officer’s behaviour that day, noting he refused to drive away for fear of striking any protesters — ultimately placing public safety over self-preservation."

I gran tyou that with this knowledge I can temper my position, however, this boondoggle is part and parcel of the problem the cops had that day.

They had their collective fingers up their butts. They only had two years to formulate a plan, two years to see the prior Summits and their problems, two years to figure it all out.

Our cops let us down ....badly.

To put in perspective ...

On Tuesday, Pynn pleaded guilty to doing the damage, the assault and other charges. He got seven months in all.

7 months for assault and property damage and more ... 10 months for property damage ...

Horton,…has argued he was “completely out of it” after watching police hit G20 protesters with clubs, prompting him to attack the squad car as a sort of retaliation.

I do think the sentence is harsh.

I think that sentence would be more appropriate for the loser who physically attacked the cop, now hiding out in the US.

I think the judge lost perspective because of the political response of Horton and his supporters, and because the officer was hit in the head with a pole ... by someone else not yet brought to justice.

It's expected by police that when they terrorize people by bludgeoning innocent protesters, we're supposed to react with fear of police and ... stop protesting ... suck up to them ... whatever. These protesters reacted in a normal human way by in turn, terrorizing an officer.

SUCK IT UP COPS!!!!!

Only one physically assaulted a cop, though many innocent protesters were beaten by cops.

And we all know that if the cops ever get their hands on the guy who actually did hit the cop, they won't wait for court justice, they'll beat him up ... and they'll never be disciplined for it either.

The police have turned into state thugs who suppress political opposition to the state with violence, without any penalty ... in fact they are considered heroes for being the thugs who silence democratic opposition.

In this case, the judge is biased, imo.

If the police want respect, support and cooperation from the public, they can friggen earn it by showing respect for the public WHO PAY THEIR WAGES.

But instead, they lie in their reports, lie in court, falsify evidence, whatever it takes to protect themselves and other cops ... from justice.

The cops did WAY more physical damage to innocent people at the G20 than any protesters did to police. WHY ARE THE COPS NOT IN COURT ON CHARGES?

Because their job isn't to protect people's rights ... it is to terrorize and oppress people's right to speak against the state: The police are used as political henchmen and thugs ... and they are drunk with the power.

Edited by jacee

10 months in jail for some property damage? I think that's pretty excessive, compared to similar cases.

Read it again and tell me how his sentence is appropriate? How much is the appropriate level of damage to warrant something more than a slap on the wrist?

To put in perspective ...

On Tuesday, Pynn pleaded guilty to doing the damage, the assault and other charges. He got seven months in all.

7 months for assault and property damage and more ... 10 months for property damage ...

Horton,…has argued he was “completely out of it” after watching police hit G20 protesters with clubs, prompting him to attack the squad car as a sort of retaliation.

I do think the sentence is harsh.

I think that sentence would be more appropriate for the loser who physically attacked the cop, now hiding out in the US.

I think the judge lost perspective because of the political response of Horton and his supporters, and because the officer was hit in the head with a pole ... by someone else not yet brought to justice.

It's expected by police that when they terrorize people by bludgeoning innocent protesters, we're supposed to react with fear of police and ... stop protesting ... suck up to them ... whatever. These protesters reacted in a normal human way by in turn, terrorizing an officer.

SUCK IT UP COPS!!!!!

Only one physically assaulted a cop, though many innocent protesters were beaten by cops.

And we all know that if the cops ever get their hands on the guy who actually did hit the cop, they won't wait for court justice, they'll beat him up ... and they'll never be disciplined for it either.

The police have turned into state thugs who suppress political opposition to the state with violence, without any penalty ... in fact they are considered heroes for being the thugs who silence democratic opposition.

In this case, the judge is biased, imo.

If the police want respect, support and cooperation from the public, they can friggen earn it by showing respect for the public WHO PAY THEIR WAGES.

But instead, they lie in their reports, lie in court, falsify evidence, whatever it takes to protect themselves and other cops ... from justice.

The cops did WAY more physical damage to innocent people at the G20 than any protesters did to police. WHY ARE THE COPS NOT IN COURT ON CHARGES?

Because their job isn't to protect people's rights ... it is to terrorize and oppress people's right to speak against the state: The police are used as political henchmen and thugs ... and they are drunk with the power.

Excuses, excuses and guess what, more excuses. All you provided was a lame attempt by some idiot to blame his actions on the police and escape consequences. So even if police were using excessive force in location A why does he destroy property not even associated with the police, and then assault police officers in location B? This bullshit will not fly for anyone else so why are you surprised?

What we need is to let him finish his jail sentence, cut off his welfare and make him pay back every single cent of damage he did.