Make the poor pay!

It started off with 2 brothers but there was no way they grew it by themselves. It is the giant it is today because of the thousands of workers.

People with no job skills doing menial work are not responsible for growing a company. Now if you're talking about sonething like Avon, where the sales forces is responsible for a lot of its success, I'll grant you a partial fact. But for a company like Macdonald, nope. That was the idea and industry and efforts and ability of the people on top.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want pay equality. I see no reason why corporate types who work in McDonald offices make millions while the workers make minimum wage.

Law of supply and demand. The workers have no particular skill set which can't be obtained just as easily from millions of others. Those on top have considerably more skills, and rarer ones.

So, they work enough hours and then go on EI.

I worked as a cleaner, then as a security guard on 12 hour midnight shifts, then doing data entry, then as a clerk. It's called building a resume and working your way up from the bottom. You rarely manage to go from zero to a well-paying job -- unless daddy owns the company, like, say Donald Trump did.

Edited by Argus

They did? I don't see how. Generally speaking, the rich are rich because their parents were. But then there's those who are 'self made', and they generally got rich through very hard work and a lot of luck and skill. Sure, there are a small number who figure out how to screw people over and make money that way, but I think they're the distinct minority.

Theres a lot of different kinds of people out there. But on balance the wealthy folks out there who make their money providing products and services that everyone wants to have are fantastic. Good on em!

But the reality is that these people are the ones getting the largest benefit from our society and all the services and infrastructure government provides... so they SHOULD pay the vast majority of taxes. This principle is the basis for progressive tax schemes that exist in almost every country that moved beyond "mud hut" technology.

I'm not an occupier. I would kick them if I could. Them shitbirds don't understand that revolutions begin with violence, not camping and smelling up public parks.

Who would you like to commit violence against?

They already DO get special privileges. The vast majority of the income, and vast majority of benefits derives from using public infrastructure and services.

Jesus what a dumb post.

That last is your signature line, right? You can put it after all your posts! :lol:

The reality is that at its most basic level what the government does is maximize transactions, and protect private property rights. Every single thing our government does falls under one of those two categories.

Since the wealthy are the core beneficiaries of both of these core government goals they pay the majority of taxes. Theres nothing wrong with this at all. Its how our society is supposed to work, and its the only way it CAN work.

Take a simple thing like a public road for example. A regular wage earner has a car and he uses that road to get to work and back. A wealthy person might have a fleet of hundreds of vehicles using that road to deliver products and materials, and he profits from the existance of that road while a wage earner just uses it a tiny bit. It makes perfect sense that the commercial interests that benefit the MOST from that road pay for more of the costs. Same goes for other public infrastructure.

Edited by dre

That last is your signature line, right? You can put it after all your posts! :lol:

No most of my posts are actually pretty good and well thought out. Your OP is a logical fallacy that even a student in grade 3 could smash to bits with just a little bit of critical thinking. I dont mean to be insulting or personal. Lots of your posts are pretty good. This one however was a piece of shit. It just IS what it IS.

Guest American Woman

Apparently so! :)

If that's true, considering that $90,000 a year puts one in the top 7.51% in Canada, I'm not overly impressed - never figured it would be that low. Furthermore, the top 5% pay 40% of the taxes in Canada, so I guess you pukes who aren't in the top 5% deserve so much less than they do - and of course the pukes in the top 4% deserve so much less than the top 1%. The top 1% should rule the country! :D

Theres a lot of different kinds of people out there. But on balance the wealthy folks out there who make their money providing products and services that everyone wants to have are fantastic. Good on em!

But the reality is that these people are the ones getting the largest benefit from our society and all the services and infrastructure government provides... so they SHOULD pay the vast majority of taxes. This principle is the basis for progressive tax schemes that exist in almost every country that moved beyond "mud hut" technology.

How are they getting more from the services and infrastructure? Are they using up the highway more by driving a Mercedes or a Rolls Royce instead of a Ford Fiesta or Dodge Caravan? Do they use up more health care services? Take more money from social services? Are they on pogey more? Do their kids get taken in by child services more? Gimmie some examples.

No most of my posts are actually pretty good and well thought out. Your OP is a logical fallacy that even a student in grade 3 could smash to bits with just a little bit of critical thinking. I dont mean to be insulting or personal. Lots of your posts are pretty good. This one however was a piece of shit. It just IS what it IS.

That you disagree with my somewhat irreverent post showing just how much the 'rich' are already paying is not evidence the post wasn't worth making. It seems to have garnered a lot of interest and generated some lively discussion. Is that not the entire point of this site?

More importantly by far, it entertained me. And that really is the whole point of this site.

Edited by Argus

If that's true, considering that $90,000 a year puts one in the top 7.51% in Canada, I'm not overly impressed - never figured it would be that low. Furthermore, the top 5% pay 40% of the taxes in Canada, so I guess you pukes who aren't in the top 5% deserve so much less than they do - and of course the pukes in the top 4% deserve so much less than the top 1%. The top 1% should rule the country! :D

I'm pretty sure they do! :ph34r:

Edited by Argus

How are they getting more from the services and infrastructure? Are they using up the highway more by driving a Mercedes or a Rolls Royce instead of a Ford Fiesta or Dodge Caravan? Do they use up more health care services? Take more money from social services? Are they on pogey more? Do their kids get taken in by child services more? Gimmie some examples.

No its not about the car that they drive. A commercial entity will have a whole fleet of vehicles using that road, or a transport company with a fleet of semi trailers using it on their behalf, and they are not just using it, they are profiting from it.

No its not about the car that they drive. A commercial entity will have a whole fleet of vehicles using that road, or a transport company with a fleet of semi trailers using it on their behalf, and they are not just using it, they are profiting from it.

But you're speaking about businesses, businesses which employ a lot of people. I'm merely speaking about the 10% of individuals who are in the top 10% of income. That could be, for example, a single doctor, or lawyer, or accountant or, these days, a single cop or bus driver or firefighter...

Edited by Argus

Then what are you complaining about? That's the way it should be, right? ;)

I don't believe I was complaining about that. I was suggesting that in light of their (our) magnificant contribution to society we top 10%ers should get titles, like, we could be Sir this or Lady that, to the rest of you. And you could bow low in appreciation when we walk by... :)

Guest American Woman

Grassroots movement afoot in Canada to raise taxes on top earners

A group of wealthy doctors are among a growing group of people calling for increased taxes on the top 10 percent of income earners as a way to fund Canadian programs and infrastructure.

“I think that we feel as higher income earners, that we want to live in a society, which is more equal, which is healthier, and we’re prepared to pay for it.”

Rachlis recently started the organization Doctors for Fair Taxation. He’s part of a growing tax revolt going on in Canada. People there want to pay higher taxes.

There you go, Argus - you should be - and may be - paying more taxes. :)

Guest American Woman

I don't believe I was complaining about that. I was suggesting that in light of their (our) magnificant contribution to society we top 10%ers should get titles, like, we could be Sir this or Lady that, to the rest of you. And you could bow low in appreciation when we walk by... :)

Ummmm. I don't live in Canada. And if you plan on entering the States, you'll have to earn more to expect that treatment. But as I pointed out, you'll be too busy grovelling at the feet of the top 1%.... ;)

Ummmm. I don't live in Canada. And if you plan on entering the States, you'll have to earn more to expect that treatment. But as I pointed out, you'll be too busy grovelling at the feet of the top 1%.... ;)

First of all, I didn't say I was at the bottom end of the scale! I could be in the top 5%! As to the top 1%, they can be like Counts or Barons or whatever. I'm okay with that! I don't hang around with them anyway so I wouldn't have to bow and scrape. :)

Grassroots movement afoot in Canada to raise taxes on top earners

A group of wealthy doctors are among a growing group of people calling for increased taxes on the top 10 percent of income earners as a way to fund Canadian programs and infrastructure.

“I think that we feel as higher income earners, that we want to live in a society, which is more equal, which is healthier, and we’re prepared to pay for it.”

Rachlis recently started the organization Doctors for Fair Taxation. He’s part of a growing tax revolt going on in Canada. People there want to pay higher taxes.

There you go, Argus - you should be - and may be - paying more taxes. :)

I seriously pay a ton of taxes, more than those doctors, I'm thinking, since they've probably incorporated themselves for tax purposes. And just because you've got a medical degree does not guarantee you know anything more about economics than someone who pushes a broom down a hall for a living.

Guest American Woman

First of all, I didn't say I was at the bottom end of the scale! I could be in the top 5%! As to the top 1%, they can be like Counts or Barons or whatever. I'm okay with that! I don't hang around with them anyway so I wouldn't have to bow and scrape. :)

Yeah, you could be. "Could" being the operative word - although I could think of a deserving title for you. ;) In the meantime, when you come across your 'superiors,' remember.........

Grovel, grovel, cringe, bow, stoop, fall

Worship, worship, beg, kneel, sponge, crawl ..............

:lol: