Affirmative action is a racist policy

Affirmative action is a racist policy and should be stopped. If you can't fire someone based on Race, sex, or religous affiliation then you shouldn't be able to hire people based on those characteristics either.

What do you think?

B :blink:

Edited by bibby

I think we wouldn't need affirmative action if we didn't have people in the country who believed this garbage...

"If you can't fire someone based on Race, sex, or religious affiliation"

Race,sex or religion has nothing to do with working ability.

talk about raciest <_<

I agree, that's my point. Affirmative action is based on race and sex and it shouldn't be.

A person should be hired because of their abilities.

I said that a person shouldn't be fired based on those things and they shouldn't be based on them either.

You missundrstood what I was saying.

How could I be a racist if I don't think those characteristice should mean anything. Those who believe in affirmative action believe those things should determine if you get a job or not.

So if you believe in it, then you're the racist.

I bet you're Canadian. You read what you want to believe. So you rea that I was a racist because I don't believe in affirmative action.

Affirmative action is racist to an extent but is an important counter balance to previously racist policies. In the US it wasn't until the 1960s that society was fully integrated and I saw a documentary that argued that blacks and whites still have their own seperate proms and such in parts of the south.

I am a firm believer in merit based hiring and my natural instinct is to reject AA. But I realize that there are many people in this world who hire by race and religion for all the wrong reasons. I wouldn't want to be a Muslim looking for a job in New York for example. So I think we should continue AA for two generations after the last rascist policies are/were eliminated and then make AA illegal.

I am going to take offence to that 'you must be canadian' line. I am Canadian and very proud of it.

AA is raciest but what you have to realize is that humans are racist by nature, we resemble the 'wolf' mentality, We are pack animals but we have a very strong sense of solitutude. It is natural for us to divide ourselves amongst our own kind. Racism will always exist, even if at the most primitive levels. That's something that everyone is going to have to accept.

I will agree that racism is wrong morally but it is a natural function. The only reason racism gets so out of hand is that we let those with mental disabilities gain lots of power. e.g Hitler. I see AA falling within the next 30 years.

Dear bibby,

Canada has it's own version of the NAACP in the form of misguided Gov't. I agree with you that there should be no such thing as 'race or gender' quotas, period.

I am also proudly (but that is unfortunately waning) Canadian and would remind all that Canada was the refuge for all of those 'naughty runaway slaves' from the USA.

Bigotry is prevalent throughout most societies, and racism, a slightly different animal, is one of the most dangerous menaces to all mankind.

"I said that a person shouldn't be fired based on those things and they shouldn't be based on them either."

I beg to differ,that's not quite what you said. which was...

"If you can't fire someone based on Race, sex, or religious affiliation then you shouldn't be able to hire people based on those characteristics either."

NOWHERE did you say SHOULDN'T fire based on such...taking a stand against it, I believe the word was CAN'T and it gives the statement a different meaning...

So if I failed in understanding...I am sorry but its only because you failed in the words you choose.

Let me get this straight...in your eyes...company A has 300 whites and 0 blacks and a new job opens...a black applies who is just as qualified as the white that applies

who do you think will get hired? Without the policy most likely the white would get hired,you know it and I know it....and because I believe that is wrong "I" am raciest?

lol...oookay...

The policy is in in place to protect against racism.

Yes wouldn't it be nice if people didn't see color and everyone got where they were going based on ability...and wouldn't be equally nice if everyone was giving the SAME tools to get there.Until that is a reality like it or not Affirmative Action has to stay in place.Blacks have always been seen as inferior and still are to this day by many...change that mentality and then you can change the law....

and let me stop you from tasting leather once again...I am not black ,I am a white AMERICAN.

Affirmative Action is a new anti-liberal policy which ultimately does more harm to minorities than it supposedly helps.

I prefer to see minorities earn the positions they get.

Does that make racism right?

Absolutely not.

The fact is, no two applicants to a job are ever equal, nor are they ever equally qualified. The supposition that such situations occur is clearly false. There is always some factor that makes one person better than the other.

If a company has 300 whites, and zero minorities (by the way, there are white miniorities -- homosexuals, jews, deaf, blind, and physically handicapped people, and women...african americans arn't the only minorities in a society), so then lets say, a company has 300 white, anglophone men, all able bodied, and all of the heterosexual muscle pumped jock types....alright, and somebody applies, now if the minority is more qualified for the job, and isn't hired, that's discrimination, and that's a lawsuit.

But there is never, ever, a situation where two people are equally qualified because no two people are totally alike.

Ever.

Dear April and takeanumber,

If I may offer an example of this policy 'at work', please consider this.

In my Canadian city, the Gov't (and larger corporations) must hire a certain set percentage of, what Canada calls at this point in time,) aboriginals. (I, myself, just call them 'the originals') If the gov't must hire, and is 'below quota', then only aboriginals are considered. If none apply with the sufficient skills and education, the gov't lowers the qualification standards and tries again. If one does apply, and doesn't show up for the interview, the gov't can still deny qualified individuals from getting the job based on 'incorrect ethnicity'.

This story is true, or at leat I believ it is, as it came to me from someone who worked there for almost 20 years.

Any racial or gender quota is automatically both incluse and exclusive. Therefore, both sides are unfair as each must be, at some point, exclusive. Only abolishment of the quota system can eventually ensure every person from every ethnicity can advance on merit, rather than legislation.

Equality, equal rights and equal pay for equal work are something people themselves have to work on.

And the Federal governments quota system is anti-liberal.

I think that it's a course of policy though. Aboriginals do get the shitty end of the stick on education and health. That ought to be corrected. How are they to get onto their own feet unless they have an education that is equal to the off-reserve world?

If the problem is a lack of aboriginals in the civil service and in industry, let's tackle to the problem that causes it: low university degree attainment caused by a series of factors (which I don't think anybody here would understand), and solve the problem that way.

Quotas do nothing but cause people to have the image that all aboriginals suck at their jobs, and if an aboriginal actually does a good job, that accomplishment is dimished because people think "quota".

Solve the problem at the root with policy.

Dear takeanumber,

Aboriginals do get the shitty end of the stick on education and health.
Actually, they get both free, including university education if they choose to take it.

I believe most of the situation is purely cultural. The peoples of the First Nations had (and a few still have) a vastly different outlook on life and mankind's place in it.

I worked with virous members of several of the First Nations in Alberta, including some Tribal Councils, and indeed I do understand a great deal about what 'factors' have influence their 'assimilation' into modern 'western' society.

Solve the problem at the root with policy.
I believe the abolishment of racial quotas is the policy to go with. If, for example, a gov't agency had more than 50% First Nations peoples in it, would it be fair to deny other qualified ones because another 'identifiable group' was under-represented? Even if the others weren't qualified?

"now if the minority is more qualified for the job, and isn't hired, that's discrimination, and that's a lawsuit."

It sure is, but not so easy to prove....just like sexual harassment...

"Aboriginals do get the shitty end of the stick on education and health. That ought to be corrected. How are they to get onto their own feet unless they have an education that is equal to the off-reserve world?"

And so do blacks in the inner cities...

Were you ever told you had to sit at the back of the bus? or you couldn't drink out of a certain bubbler?you can't shop there or be served in here...

talk about short end of the stick...white people treated their dogs better then blacks.Until you change that without AA it would continue...Maybe to a smaller degree...but it would still exist just the same.I agree there should never be a need for a quota system...but until you wipe out racism there is no better way to make sure others are treated equal and get the same opportunities...

Dear April,

I agree there should never be a need for a quota system...but until you wipe out racism there is no better way to make sure others are treated equal and get the same opportunities...
So it seems that all agree, 'in principle', that quota systems are not the best system in a 'fair' world.

Racial quota systems inherently deny that

others are treated equal and get the same opportunities...
no matter who the 'others' are.

how do one appeal to the masses sensibilities to encourage equality and delete racism? Until a better system is found I think AA will support the outreach to those who absolutely need it. I don't support the abuse of AA but wondered if it is comparable.. what kind of percentage crime or "crying" are we looking at

Implicit Association Test

From this website: https://implicit.harvard.edu

Analyse your preference towards race - takes about 5 minutes

Interpretation Percent of Total -- those who participated in the test

Strong automatic preference for White..............48%

Moderate automatic preference for White.........13%

Slight automatic preference for White...............12%

Little to no automatic preference.......................12%

Slight automatic preference for Black...................6%

Moderate automatic preference for Black.............4%

Strong automatic preference for Black..................6%