Potter: The Conservatives ... the party of the deeply stupid

:lol:

yes, we get it... now several times over, you've shown your disdain for anyone with a humanities based education. I particularly relished you recently stumbling over yourself with a study I linked/referenced - after all your guffawing and emoticon throwing over the listed principal author's education, it was gold, real gold, to point out the technical focused co-authors of the study. What was even sweeter was to point out to you that one of the principal authors had a very dated doctorate... coupled with a 30-year career in the related field... seeing you reject, outright, actual working career experience because of your knuckle-dragging, was gravy.

in any case, most thinking types would look at the arguments presented and not automatically reject them by idiotically dismissing persons based on a formalized education you deem "unworthy". Given your personal predilection for all that is 'number crunching', I won't hold your bean-counting education against you, regardless of where you took your learnin' from!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, we get it... now several times over, you've shown your disdain for anyone with a humanities based education. I particularly relished you recently stumbling over yourself with a study I linked/referenced - after all your guffawing and emoticon throwing over the listed principal author's education, it was gold, real gold, to point out the technical focused co-authors of the study. What was even sweeter was to point out to you that one of the principal authors had a very dated doctorate... coupled with a 30-year career in the related field... seeing you reject, outright, actual working career experience because of your knuckle-dragging, was gravy.

in any case, most thinking types would look at the arguments presented and not automatically reject them by idiotically dismissing persons based on a formalized education you deem "unworthy". Given your personal predilection for all that is 'number crunching', I won't hold your bean-counting education against you, regardless of where you took your learnin' from!

Can you stop writing like that? It's painful to read. Surely you learned to write better with your humanities education. :lol:

No education is complete without Kant's categorical imperative!! :lol:

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? :lol:

For the record I did learn that garbage and then I promptly forgot as much of it as I could 5 minutes after the final exam (you know, the exam I got 100% on after studying for an hour?)

You're either a philosophy student or you're still in university, because I can assure you that 5 years after graduating from anything other than Arts you won't be remembering Kant's categorical imperative. :lol:

Obviously you forgot that part of your education. God forbid you actually remember the ethics portion of any business administration or economics programme because Kant comes up there too.

Obviously you forgot that part of your education. God forbid you actually remember the ethics portion of any business administration or economics programme because Kant comes up there too.

That's exactly where I read it and that's exactly where I forgot it. :lol:

Somehow Kant's categorical imperative never seems to come up in any meetings. :lol:

What's so funny? That he has a better education than you or that he wrote a book criticizing "culture jamming" from groups like AdBusters? That latter point makes him conservative by some estimations, yet he still thinks your party is acting stuipdly.

Better education? Once again, I don't understand, CC. 'Better' is not an absolute descriptor. It is an opinion. Is it your premise that a degree in anything from anywhere must be automatically accepted by everyone as worthy of respect?

I always thought that respect must be earned. It is not a right! What's more, I thought everyone was entitled to their own opinion.

I wasn't aware that a phd from somewhere was a gospel.

Can you stop writing like that? It's painful to read. Surely you learned to write better with your humanities education. :lol:

nope, sorry - your attempt to marginalize won't work here... as a relative newb you lack the MLW history that would have clearly presented you exactly what my educational background is. But as I said your shtick is to avoid the actual arguments and focus in on your juvenile bias.

by the by... just how does the ridiculous Harper Conservative "one-for-one" rule determine what regulations are good, and which are bad?

They sure do... In real fields.

I took 2 philosophy courses in university and got 100% in one and like 95% in the other. I studied maybe for 30 minutes before every test and a couple hours before the final exam. It is a joke of a field.

IMO they hand out A+'s like candy to lure the lefty sheep in and make them feel intellectually superior to the "masses" who work their asses off for A's and B's in business, engineering, and science.

more nonsense - as a part of my undergrad years I also looked for what I thought might be 'easy' options. I also took an introductory philosophy course... found it stimulating in ways I'd never thought... and ended up spending way too much time on required papers. I also had a few buds you cruised through Economics... their minimal course loads allowed them to 'party-hearty', fer sure!

Better education? Once again, I don't understand, CC. 'Better' is not an absolute descriptor. It is an opinion. Is it your premise that a degree in anything from anywhere must be automatically accepted by everyone as worthy of respect?

I always thought that respect must be earned. It is not a right! What's more, I thought everyone was entitled to their own opinion.

I wasn't aware that a phd from somewhere was a gospel.

It's not, but then CPCFTW didn't have a point to begin with by posting his education, saying his opinion is worthless due to his degrees. As it were, U of T and McGill are two of the best universities in Canada.

more nonsense - as a part of my undergrad years I also looked for what I thought might be 'easy' options. I also took an introductory philosophy course... found it stimulating in ways I'd never thought... and ended up spending way too much time on required papers. I also had a few buds you cruised through Economics... their minimal course loads allowed them to 'party-hearty', fer sure!

My experience was the same with economics. They were the bird courses I took to take a break from courses that actually required a person to think and research.

You have to admire the author of this hatchet job. he may be the only guy in Canada with a doctorate in philosophy that does not drive a cab for a living.

It sounds like we have a number of 'social science' undergrad degrees here. Put your hand up and identify please!

gee, I happen to have one living in my strata - holds a nice tenured job in academia. Just how many philosophy doctorates do you think there are, anyway?

nice to (also) see you dragging your knuckles through this thread!

My experience was the same with economics. They were the bird courses I took to take a break from courses that actually required a person to think and research.

ha! I took micro/macro for "rounding"... I spent more time in labs than my buds full Econ course loads! By the by, did you know Stephen Harper is an "economist" - apparently, having an Economics degree, without ever having worked in the field, allows one to be a self-styled/self-declared "economist" - oh my!

ha! I took micro/macro for "rounding"... I spent more time in labs than my buds full Econ course loads! By the by, did you know Stephen Harper is an "economist" - apparently, having an Economics degree, without ever having worked in the field, allows one to be a self-styled/self-declared "economist" - oh my!

It's funny that economics departments fall within the faculty of arts at most universities too. Moreover, the vast majority of lawyers (read: Canada's MPs historically) come from arts backgrounds.

We just might be living through the worst government in the history of our nation.

We just might be living through the worst opposition and media in the history of our nation.

We are living through one of the best governments in our history.

The author's assertion that libertarianism is by default "dopey" clearly identifies his cries of stupidity as based solely on projection.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/columnists/Policy+neuronally+challenged/6029379/story.html

Andrew Potter's most recent article once again shows that the Conservatives have absolutely no interest in facts and reality, but rather pushing an ideological agenda. Clement rolled out the "one-for-one" rule in the Red Tape Report. A painfully stupid rule that requires a regulation to be scrapped for every new one implemented, without any framework for determining what regulations are worth keeping or scrapping. Potter illustrates the point: "This emphasis on the absolute numbers of rules, as opposed to their relative effectiveness, is just as brainless as the old Soviet practice of treating hours worked or widgets produced as the mark of economic growth."

We just might be living through the worst government in the history of our nation.

The problem is that many rules are put on without much thought being given. At least "one for one" requires that some thought be given before plopping out another rule.

We just might be living through the worst opposition and media in the history of our nation.

We are living through one of the best governments in our history.

The author's assertion that libertarianism is by default "dopey" clearly identifies his cries of stupidity as based solely on projection.

Harper is probably the best PM in your history. Excluding maybe Macdonald.