Bill Cosby has recently caused a stir because of some of the comments that he has made.

http://www.theamericancause.org/patbillcosby.htm

How do you feel about those comment.

I feel that Bill Cosby is 100% correct, in his TV show he depicted an African American family, were the family was put first and foremost before everything else. I'm glad that somebodies finally speaking up about the real problems in the black community rather than blaming "whitey" for all of their problems.

An interesting article. I think Bill Cosby has a point - he generally does I feel. That said I think the article may be a little simplistic.

It speaks of the need for black families and communities to recapture family and community structure and spirit in order to combat other influences (at least that is how I read it). A good an valid point.

It goes on to say

If White America is not guilty, why should White America pay, other than out of the goodness of its heart?

Which I think is not inferred. The article does not really produce much data to address causes. Only a negative correlation between crime rates fifty years ago and today. While it purports to have established a root cause its case is far from substansive. I personally also find the the above quote to be segregationist. Surely it's not a case of guilty white people being made to pay. Surely it should be a case of the community (read whites, blacks and every other colour of person) to assist those that are at the lowest end of the economic scale.

I see the merit of Bill Cosby's very relevant point but I just don't see how the article manages to run so far with it.

I will refrain from commenting on the fairness of Cosby's criticisms, other than to note that he fits into only one of those categories as well.

Really now? He wasn't always rich and famous as he came from the gehto himself. Second, I think the idea of a keynote speaker at an African American function is to get a winner of some kind up there to speak, not a loser. You know, give some sort of advice on how he got there or how others may follow. I guess if you were making the marquee, Clarence Thomas, Jesse Jackson, Condelizza Rice and thier 'type' would be unfit to speak with any resonance?

What I note, as a member of a visably decreasing racial group myself, is that he called it like it is. People have to stop blaming others for their problems. In a country where you have many whites calling for a black man and a black woman to seek the presidency, (and I think they would pretty good at it if not better than the present one) things seem to have changed a bit. Granted, there are still problems, but they only go so deep and is decreasing day by day. Racism in no way means that people can sit on their duffs and wait to get taken care of by a form of government or aid of some kind that may never come.

We all work with what we have. If life dealt you a bad hand then better get good at playing it because help may or may not come. Bad cards do not enable you to give up the game. In the meantime, civil liberties should never be placed on the backburner, yet never allow it to replace personal responsibility. That's what Cosby was on about.

People have to stop blaming others for their problems.

Theres alot to what you say. Success, in my view, is in large part a self fulfilling prophecy.

Taking responsibility for self, situation, present and future is surely the most important step for any person to take.

However - surely the problems faced by minority groups are multilateral in cause and still need a multilateral response.

Even if there is less racism existent today racism still needs to be fought by all. I don't believe the only response can be a call to return to family values (although I applaud it).

However - surely the problems faced by minority groups are multilateral in cause and still need a multilateral response.

Even if there is less racism existent today racism still needs to be fought by all. I don't believe the only response can be a call to return to family values (although I applaud it).

What I am saying and I think Cosby is as well is not to forego the civil rights progress we have today but rather place more emphasis on the individual and his or her personal responsibility. Not paint the same picture of the 'poor minority' caractiture over and over in everybody's minds. It provides an all too handy excuse for failure for the ones who are trying to escape and can act as a reson not to even bother trying.

OK KK I'm with you now. You are saying, I believe, that negative stereotypes must be broken down. They are limiting and if we subscribe to them they will make us lose so to speak.

I agree with you. But I think there can still be forces beyond an individuals control and responsibility that can limit and even destroy. Which is why I believe in both individual and community responsibilities and responses. Apart from developing individuals I think there is alot of value in devloping community.