Conservative riding associations are under investigation

Ten Conservative riding associations are under investigation by Alberta’s chief electoral officer for their handling of political donations from banned organizations, including municipalities.
The probe follows CBC News investigations that found several Conservative riding associations solicited donations from groups banned by law from giving money to political parties.

Under the Election Finances Act, it is illegal for a political party to solicit or accept money from any group that receives provincial or federal funding, such as municipalities, Crown corporations, post-secondary institutions, and Métis settlements.

What is it about Conservatives and their love to break Canadian election laws...

Under the Election Finances Act, it is illegal for a political party to solicit or accept money from any group that receives provincial or federal funding, such as municipalities, Crown corporations, post-secondary institutions, and Métis settlements[/url]

Does that include Federal and Provincial public workers? :)

There's absolutely nothing that can be done about it. Even if they are found to be in the wrong, they get what? A fine? A very stern talking to? This is BS. Regardless of what party you support, this should be insulting to every voter out there. There is absolutely no reason anyone from any party should support electoral fraud. To make matters worse, does anyone really buy this crap about "mistakes" being made? Give me a break. You know the electoral laws. These weren't "mistakes."

Edited by cybercoma

There's absolutely nothing that can be done about it. Even if they are found to be in the wrong, they get what? A fine? A very stern talking to? This is BS. Regardless of what party you support, this should be insulting to every voter out there. There is absolutely no reason anyone from any party should support electoral fraud. To make matters worse, does anyone really buy this crap about "mistakes" being made? Give me a break. You know the electoral laws. These weren't "mistakes."

CC, tone down the drama! We're not talking high treason here!

I've been a riding worker. It's mostly volunteer help and with volunteers you don't always get expertise. In fact, you usually DON'T get expertise! Yes, someone should have checked over the shoulder of the "newbies". Unfortunately, usually they don't.

Mistakes such as this are common with ALL parties! Except maybe with the Greens, since they probably get so few donations it's easy to keep track and follow the rules. As a percentage basis, the amounts involved are usually trivial.

I'd be more concerned with exceeding the donation limits, by a lot! That can add up to some REAL money! A big union donation here, a big business donation there and some candidate has a very real and unfair advantage.

I believe that if the monies in these Alberta ridings are added up it will probably add up to mice nuts. If it turns out to be REAL MONEY then I might share your outrage, for that would suggest a crooked decision and not simple mistakes.

But until I see the figures, I'm inclined to believe this is just more partisan "mountain out of a molehill" mudslinging.

And before some other idiot pops up and calls me a Conservative, I would believe this of a similar situation with ANY party! In fact, I would bet a bottle of Scotch that it happens every single election, with every single party.

CC, tone down the drama! We're not talking high treason here!

I've been a riding worker. It's mostly volunteer help and with volunteers you don't always get expertise. ...................

I would believe this of a similar situation with ANY party! In fact, I would bet a bottle of Scotch that it happens every single election, with every single party.

TL;DR... but i'm fairly certain I can sum it up in two points

1 - It's the fault of an in experienced a) beaurocrat B) local Riding volunteer c) dumbass

2 - Please, The Liberals most likely did it so it's ok

About right?

:D

Edited by Shakeyhands

TL;DR... but i'm fairly certain I can sum it up in two points

1 - It's the fault of an in experienced a) beaurocrat B) local Riding volunteer c) dumbass

2 - Please, The Liberals most likely did it so it's ok

About right?

:D

Minus the sarcasm, yes! Or have you worked in a riding association and know differently?

It's easy for someone who has never done a job to think that it is easy or should always work perfectly.

That being said, you might be wrong about the Liberals also doing it. Liberals traditionally had so much money they paid most of their campaign workers. I saw this first hand. Personally, I thought this was just a method of making workers kiss ass if they wanted to eventually secure a fulltime job with the party. Paid help is usually better trained and experienced.

Given the financial position of today's Liberals this may no longer be the case.

Meanwhile, as I said I want to wait until I see if the money is significant enough to suggest a conscious illegal act. If it is, I'd be glad to help all you blind anti-Tory partisans and hold the rope!

Edited by Wild Bill

There are 83 electoral districts in Alberta. F'ing up in at least 10 of them is not a mistake. It was damn well intentional and it's a disgrace. And you know what, if the Liberals did it too, they're a disgrace as well.

Why do you absolutely assume it wasn't a mistake? You think they had some central command that went around and trained all the volunteers in every riding?

Horsefeathers! I'm willing to bet nobody got any training other than "Just take the donations!" Every riding's workers are usually on their own. If you're lucky, you have some people who have been through a few campaigns and have picked up some experience.

Frankly CC, if you got involved yourself you'd probably be shocked at how amateurish many ridings are with this sort of thing! When a worker is free you take what you can get.

There is no volunteer riding worker school. There is no volunteer riding worker certificate.

Think high school student council and you'll have the idea.

Again, let's find out how much money. Nobody commits a crime for $10. Nobody steals a Lada. It just ain't worth the time!