Peter Goldring

WWWTT

How do you think any of this will hurt the Tories? Do you honestly think that those that voted for him, will all of a sudden, place their future votes somewhere else?

Did the NDP lose support in Svend’s riding?

Are you saying that shopplifting has the same consequences as DUI?

If you steal something,and your caught you can easily return the stolen item and say I'm sorry.

However if your smashed and get behind the wheel and smack your car in a head on collision with a van filled with school kids and several die what then?Oh I'm sorry and everything is OK and no one is going to remember like its some kind of non story and the party is OK because that guy quit and the PM condems their actions?

Ok now this did not all happen but you can clearly see where I'm going with this(the potential is there).

Not just that there is the accumalitive affect.

When the voters are exposed to incident after incident after incident etc,etc,it will have an effect.

WWWTT

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never would, I don’t drink and drive………But, people here (BC) can and will get 24hr roadside suspensions……..I honestly don’t know what police enforcement is like in Alberta, and what happened to Mr Goldring……

Good for you!

Here in Ontario I believe your liscence is gone for 90 days,or maybe 30.Either way I never want to find out the hard way!

24hr suspension?For refusing to blow?I thought BC was tuff for DUI?Maybe check that one out and confirm,that does not sound right.Maybe 24hr for a warning but refusing to blow?Doesn't sound right.

WWWTT

Guest Derek L

Are you saying that shopplifting has the same consequences as DUI?

If you steal something,and your caught you can easily return the stolen item and say I'm sorry.

However if your smashed and get behind the wheel and smack your car in a head on collision with a van filled with school kids and several die what then?Oh I'm sorry and everything is OK and no one is going to remember like its some kind of non story and the party is OK because that guy quit and the PM condems their actions?

Ok now this did not all happen but you can clearly see where I'm going with this(the potential is there).

Not just that there is the accumalitive affect.

When the voters are exposed to incident after incident after incident etc,etc,it will have an effect.

WWWTT

Was anyone injured and/or have their personal property affected by Mr Goldring case?

I would be very surprised if any of the Opposition parties run with it……..Those that live in glass houses….

Yes I agree.

Aswell Goldrings guilt must be proved in a court of law unless he does not want to contest the charge and enters a plea of guilty.

Typically MP's of all stripes stay away from critisizing unrelated criminal charges,after all we are all human.

WWWTT

Guest Derek L

Good for you!

Here in Ontario I believe your liscence is gone for 90 days,or maybe 30.Either way I never want to find out the hard way!

24hr suspension?For refusing to blow?I thought BC was tuff for DUI?Maybe check that one out and confirm,that does not sound right.Maybe 24hr for a warning but refusing to blow?Doesn't sound right.

WWWTT

BC is tough on DUI, but I don't know about refusing to blow.....I would assume though with a refusal, and suspicion, the Police would detain him……As far as I know, Mr Goldring wasn’t rung in..

Guest Derek L

Yes I agree.

Aswell Goldrings guilt must be proved in a court of law unless he does not want to contest the charge and enters a plea of guilty.

Typically MP's of all stripes stay away from critisizing unrelated criminal charges,after all we are all human.

WWWTT

Exactly my point…….This is a non-storey, and likely the last we’ll ever hear of Mr Goldring again.

Exactly my point…….This is a non-storey, and likely the last we’ll ever hear of Mr Goldring again.

Ya you know what-your borderline insulting the intelligence of Canadian voters.

I won't forget this and many other Canadians will not either!

But I do agree that Goldring is gone.After a whirlwind media circus of his trail!

WWWTT

Guest Derek L

Please re-read my comment.

I clearly state that the potential for such tragic event was there.

WWWTT

And Svend could have potentially stolen a kitchen knife and stabbed someone………but in both cases, this is not how events transpired……..If your Aunt had balls, she’d be your uncle

Guest Derek L

Ya you know what-your borderline insulting the intelligence of Canadian voters.

I won't forget this and many other Canadians will not either!

But I do agree that Goldring is gone.After a whirlwind media circus of his trail!

WWWTT

:huh: You do that.....and hopefully an Opposition party pins their next campaign on the personal, non political, faults of an obscure back bencher from a safe Tory riding……..

Edited by Derek L

And Svend could have potentially stolen a kitchen knife and stabbed someone………but in both cases, this is not how events transpired……..If your Aunt had balls, she’d be your uncle

Actually if Svend did that he would be charged with attempted murder,or murder.

Give it up Derek L this Goldring guy messed up bad and its going to hurt the conservatives

WWWTT

:huh: You do that.....and hopefully an Opposition party pins their next campaign on the personal, non political, faults of an obscure back bencher from a safe Tory riding……..

Oh really?

And the conservatives have clearly shown in previous campaigns they are above this?

WWWTT

Guest Derek L

Actually if Svend did that he would be charged with attempted murder,or murder.

Give it up Derek L this Goldring guy messed up bad and its going to hurt the conservatives

WWWTT

Yes, but in my example, it was a "what if".........Without resulting to Google-Fu, I’m certain you’d concede someone, somewhere in Canada, has at one point, stolen and item and killed someone with it?

But that would be about as relevant is Svend’s case, as someone being killed by a drunk driver, somewhere in Canada and it’s relevance to Mr Goldrings case

Guest Derek L

Oh really?

And the conservatives have clearly shown in previous campaigns they are above this?

WWWTT

How successful has the performance of the CPC campaign team been as of late?

Yes, but in my example, it was a "what if".........Without resulting to Google-Fu, I’m certain you’d concede someone, somewhere in Canada, has at one point, stolen and item and killed someone with it?

But that would be about as relevant is Svend’s case, as someone being killed by a drunk driver, somewhere in Canada and it’s relevance to Mr Goldrings case

Oh yes your right sorry man I'm getting tired and I must go to bed now.

However you are making an incorrect implication.

The drinking and driving laws in Canada(as well as other countries) are in place and are enforced to prevent accidents,injury and death!

At no time did Svend attempt to steal a weapon to commit a crime.Nor did his actions in any way could have ever lead to personal injury.

Actually as I write this I ask myself "why am I attempting to defend something as blatantly obvious" and why are you trying to defend this freekin guy and how does this incident in any way related to Svend?Better yet why am I still writing this and not in my warm bed snoozing with my wife?

Good nite

WWWTT

Guest Derek L

Oh yes your right sorry man I'm getting tired and I must go to bed now.

However you are making an incorrect implication.

The drinking and driving laws in Canada(as well as other countries) are in place and are enforced to prevent accidents,injury and death!

At no time did Svend attempt to steal a weapon to commit a crime.Nor did his actions in any way could have ever lead to personal injury.

Actually as I write this I ask myself "why am I attempting to defend something as blatantly obvious" and why are you trying to defend this freekin guy and how does this incident in any way related to Svend?Better yet why am I still writing this and not in my warm bed snoozing with my wife?

Good nite

WWWTT

I know right……over such a non storey (Couldn’t resist)

Have a quite one. :D

Doesn't it depend on whether they had reason to believe he was intoxicated? You can't just send a drug sniffing dog into a school because the charges won't hold up in court.

I've gone through Holiday stops and never been asked to take a breathalyser. He probably spouted off about his rights and the police had a power trip. End of story.

Or they must have had reason to believe he was intoxicated.

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

If I remember correctly all the charges were dropped against Jaffer.

Goldring still has a trial that will be covered by the media.

And I can't imagine how he would be able to get off?Will he plead not guilty to refusing to blow?

Its in my opinion that the conservatives don't have a bottomless bag of "get out of jail free" cards.

WWWTT

Jaffer went to court, had his day and the DUI and coke charges were dropped because the judge gave him a break. But he was convicted for careless driving.

The point being is that the whole Jaffer Affair was way more than this (ues, including the whole Guergis thing) and the CPC had no problem overcoming it. Where is Jaffer politically these days anyway? ;)

I would be very surprised if any of the Opposition parties run with it……..Those that live in glass houses….

Aye, and there's the rub innit?

(not to be confused with politicians being caught in "massage parlors") :D

Edited by Shwa

Doesn't it depend on whether they had reason to believe he was intoxicated? You can't just send a drug sniffing dog into a school because the charges won't hold up in court.

I've gone through Holiday stops and never been asked to take a breathalyser. He probably spouted off about his rights and the police had a power trip. End of story.

Or they must have had reason to believe he was intoxicated.

I won't assume anything until the trail.

However refusing to blow is a criminal offence,and yes I believe that the police would have probable cause to ask him for a breath sample.

Even if Goldring started shooting his mouth off that would have bein very poor judgement aswell and he could have easily walked away with providing a clean sample-so what your saying doesn't make sence and is improbable but not impossible.

WWWTT

Jaffer went to court, had his day and the DUI and coke charges were dropped because the judge gave him a break. But he was convicted for careless driving.

The point being is that the whole Jaffer Affair was way more than this (ues, including the whole Guergis thing) and the CPC had no problem overcoming it. Where is Jaffer politically these days anyway? ;)

Careless driving is not a criminal offence.I believe there are two seperate dangerous driving charges where one carries a criminal offence but not a careless charge.

Aswell Jaffers trial was in Orangeville On. so his offence occured somewhere in Caledon or Dufferin region far apart from his riding in Alberta.Aswell there has bein a recent case of an alleged impared driving trafic accident resulting in the deaths of several highschool students.Do you sincerely believe the voters in Canada have all somehow magicly forgotten about those tragic deaths at the hands of an alleged impared driver?

How many innocent high school students die as a result of Layton trip to a massage parlour?I'm guessing 0!

I am not convinced that the conservatives have a bottomless bag of tricks or get out of jail free cards and eventualy all these chikens are going to come back to haunt them.

Ask Harris what the voters thought about Walkerton

WWWTT

Careless driving is not a criminal offence.I believe there are two seperate dangerous driving charges where one carries a criminal offence but not a careless charge.

Aswell Jaffers trial was in Orangeville On. so his offence occured somewhere in Caledon or Dufferin region far apart from his riding in Alberta.Aswell there has bein a recent case of an alleged impared driving trafic accident resulting in the deaths of several highschool students.Do you sincerely believe the voters in Canada have all somehow magicly forgotten about those tragic deaths at the hands of an alleged impared driver?

How many innocent high school students die as a result of Layton trip to a massage parlour?I'm guessing 0!

I am not convinced that the conservatives have a bottomless bag of tricks or get out of jail free cards and eventualy all these chikens are going to come back to haunt them.

Ask Harris what the voters thought about Walkerton

WWWTT

My msitake. I was unaware that Peter Goldring had killed someone. Wait. He didn't. Was there any indication that he was drunk driving?

So it is back to how this might hurt the cons and, since they got a majority govt. after the Jaffer and Guergis fiasco, I doubt this will put a dent in their govt.

Maybe he is just pushing the envelope:

Police said Goldring, an MP since 1997, has not been charged with impaired driving, nor was he taken into custody.

According to Orydzuk, refusing the breathalyzer results in an immediate 24-hour license suspension, followed by a 21-day grace period, then a three month license suspension.

“The charge also brings a mandatory court appearance, and if convicted, the person faces a minimum $1,000 fine and up to five years in jail, and a possible further driving prohibition,” said Ordyzuk.

But Goldring was not handed an immediate 24-hour suspension Sunday night, said Orydzuk.

In 2009, the Toronto-born MP publicly opposed legislation that would require roadside screening for all drivers, regardless of whether they were suspected of being impaired.

“It is safe to say everyone is opposed to drunk driving, but there are civil liberty issues involved,” he said on his website at the time.

My msitake. I was unaware that Peter Goldring had killed someone. Wait. He didn't. Was there any indication that he was drunk driving?

So it is back to how this might hurt the cons and, since they got a majority govt. after the Jaffer and Guergis fiasco, I doubt this will put a dent in their govt.

Yes there absolutely is evidence he was impared!He refused to provide a breath sample that would have clearly indicated if he was NOT drinking!Let me remind you that being convicted of refusing to blow is a criminal offence in Canada!

Why did he refuse?Because he felt it was unconstitutional or some other symbolic principal reason?Did he not realize the consequences of not blowing?

This guy showed poor judgment!Plain and simple.And he was a sitting member of the conservative caucus when this happened.This is a fact!

And somehow you believe the conservatives can continuely act with complete disregard of our laws and proper conduct and walk away squeeky clean!I think not buddy!

In fact I believe you are dead wrong!

Thank God nobody was injured!

Oh and by the way this guy is getting special treatment,if this happened to you or I we would spend the night in jail!

WWWTT