$1.4b per year in Cdn. taxpayer subsidies to Alberta oil sands

jacee

Whoopee! Alberta is attracting new immigrants! At half the rate of BC.

Big deal. A two trick pony province with as many people as Markham on a Sunday.

Good for you Alberta, we are all so proud. You attract new immigrants. More people to pump more our oil and tend to them thar cattle. Just how we like it.

:lol:

Seems like people prefer oil, cattle, grain, and potash to expensive vehicles and blackberries who'd have thunk it.

Somebody has to produce products that people want. Maybe you guys can learn a thing or two from us out west

My link

Wow Ontario is double Saskatchewan, outstanding!!!

Edited by blueblood

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry I don't have access to a computer right now so I can't research this, but what exactly does ontario's "diversified" economy consist of? I'm pretty sure the labour force is something like 25% government (produce nothing), 25% health (produce nothing), 15% finance/law (manage wealth, produce nothing), 15% construction/trades (create infrastructure, repair finished good, produce nothing), 15% menial service jobs (produce nothing), 10% manufacturing (produce something).

The entire Ontario economy is based around managing wealth generated in the west, regulating how that wealth can be generated, and providing infrastructure and services to the aforementioned occupations.

Feel free to provide some more accurate statistics, as I am completely guessing, but there isn't much that Ontario does other than be the centre of government and financial corporate headquarters.

Edited by CPCFTW

Seems like people prefer oil, cattle, grain, and potash to expensive vehicles and blackberries who'd have thunk it.

Two trick pony province whose citizens are avid customers of Ontario goods and services. Keep the oil and beef coming and you'll still be entitled to your equalizaton payments er, taxpayer subsidies to Alberta oil sands.

Feel free to provide some more accurate statistics, as I am completely guessing

So you want others to provide "accurate statistics" because, as you freely admit, your opinion is based on "guessing?" :blink:

Let me try some "guessing:" that bucket of dumb you keep dipping into is bottomless right?

Two trick pony province whose citizens are avid customers of Ontario goods and services. Keep the oil and beef coming and you'll still be entitled to your equalizaton payments er, taxpayer subsidies to Alberta oil sands.

What products? the Asians And Americans give us a healthy discount and Calgary is now the corporate hub. You guys have 8% unemployment, you guys aren't providing nothing.

What green energy, the kind that doesn't give a positive return on investment, the kind that doesn't come close to as efficient as hydrocarbon combustion? In case you haven't noticed natural gas is as cheap as borscht right now because of shale gas. We won't be needing solar and wind for quite some time. Let it die.

Not only that, the Chinese pay us an arm and a leg for said energy. We're not giving it away.

Are you trying to be funny or stupid? Wind energy is encredibly profitable. Fact...Altamont pass and it has been pumping out the wind juice for over thirty years. A positive return on power as in money? Gas is a waisted energy, once used, done, fact. Wow natural gas is cheap right now. No not really. If you were planning on retiring now and your house was heated with natural gas you are facing some very steep costs now and in the near future. Over the next fifty years the tarsands will turn on to full capacity using up gas reserves like never before. Want to know what's cheap? Firewood. The chinese don't have access to the oil yet...personally the oil in Alberta will make Canada money but make it more difficult for our manufactering exports with our higher dollar. Fact.

Alberta will continue to ramp up production out of Ft McMurray and ALBERTA will make more money.

Don't worry, we'll still send the easterners their allowance so they can buy their mac & cheese.

Oh, and nobody gives a damn if the basically-dead manufacturing sector is negatively impacted. Those out of work guys can come out here and we'll give 'em jobs as laborers. Pay starts around $22/hr.

Edited by Hydraboss

Are you trying to be funny or stupid? Wind energy is encredibly profitable. Fact...Altamont pass and it has been pumping out the wind juice for over thirty years. A positive return on power as in money? Gas is a waisted energy, once used, done, fact. Wow natural gas is cheap right now. No not really. If you were planning on retiring now and your house was heated with natural gas you are facing some very steep costs now and in the near future. Over the next fifty years the tarsands will turn on to full capacity using up gas reserves like never before. Want to know what's cheap? Firewood. The chinese don't have access to the oil yet...personally the oil in Alberta will make Canada money but make it more difficult for our manufactering exports with our higher dollar. Fact.

If wind energy was extremely profitable, there would be windmills all over western Canada, every big energy company would be pouring money into popping up wind farms offshore. Why would energy companies be spending a fortune developing the oilsands when they could pop up a windmill? Maybe because the returns suck on wind power?

Do you know the amount of nat gas reserves there are? It is an obscene amount and it's dirt cheap. The oil sands won't even come close to making a dent in it.

Firewood doesn't have near the energy efficiency as fossil fuels, not even close.

Well it looks like Canada should specialize in energy production instead of manufacturing.

What products? the Asians And Americans give us a healthy discount and Calgary is now the corporate hub. You guys have 8% unemployment, you guys aren't

providing nothing.

Well, I can see the Alberta education system is working right up to spec. Say, do they have Internet out on the range too?

Does that factor in the upcoming PSAC bloodbath in Ottawa. The whining from Shwa is going to get very loud. Turn it up to 11!

Of course you make no sense whatsoever, as to be expected. Didn't you just win a MLW Forusm award lately?

Alberta will continue to ramp up production out of Ft McMurray and ALBERTA will make more money.

Don't worry, we'll still send the easterners their allowance so they can buy their mac & cheese.

Oh, and nobody gives a damn if the basically-dead manufacturing sector is negatively impacted. Those out of work guys can come out here and we'll give 'em jobs as laborers. Pay starts around $22/hr.

Sniffing the petroleum by-products again? Don't get sand in your nostrils!

Don't worry, you'll still get your equalization payments, er, Cdn. taxpayer subsidies to Alberta oil sands.

Well, I can see the Alberta education system is working right up to spec. Say, do they have Internet out on the range too?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nope, I'm using magic, voodoo, and witchcraft to post stuff online, Here's your sign!!!

Have you heard of 3G? Private industry's response to the rural high speed internet bottle cap.

Now i'm concerned about the Ontario education system, if you guys can't get that you need to be online to post stuff on an internet forum...

:lol:

Nope, I'm using magic, voodoo, and witchcraft to post stuff online, Here's your sign!

That's what I thought. It isn't magic, voodoo or witcraft you are using, it's called an 'electronic network.' What the hell else did they teach you at the UofA? They should update their curriculum and vocabulary.

And no, a car is not called a 'horseless chuckwagon' anymore, either. :rolleyes:

Have you heard of 3G? Private industry's response to the rural high speed internet bottle cap.

3G, that's all? That is like showing up at a Grand Prix race with a horseless chuckwagon.

Now i'm concerned about the Ontario education system, if you guys can't get that you need to be online to post stuff on an internet forum...

We know "that." We just don't refer to it as 'magic' or 'voodoo.'

That's what I thought. It isn't magic, voodoo or witcraft you are using, it's called an 'electronic network.' What the hell else did they teach you at the UofA? They should update their curriculum and vocabulary.

And no, a car is not called a 'horseless chuckwagon' anymore, either. :rolleyes:

3G, that's all? That is like showing up at a Grand Prix race with a horseless chuckwagon.

We know "that." We just don't refer to it as 'magic' or 'voodoo.'

Oh boy, someone doesn't get the joke. :(

here's where it comes from, enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU4VL6jnJMA

Not only do they have Internet in Ontario, tey are willing to pay people $.80 per kwh for 20 years to provide power for the computers to do the calculations on electricity that is actually worth $.08 per kwh.

It is magic!!!!

That was a low blow. :angry:

:D

If wind energy was extremely profitable, there would be windmills all over western Canada, every big energy company would be pouring money into popping up wind farms offshore. Why would energy companies be spending a fortune developing the oilsands when they could pop up a windmill? Maybe because the returns suck on wind power?

Do you know the amount of nat gas reserves there are? It is an obscene amount and it's dirt cheap. The oil sands won't even come close to making a dent in it.

Firewood doesn't have near the energy efficiency as fossil fuels, not even close.

Well it looks like Canada should specialize in energy production instead of manufacturing.

Alberta is awash in oil. Why would they need wind energy? I don't know mabey ask anyone directly affected by the costs of global warmimg. Are you suggesting I burn oil and gas instead of wood? Are you really that stupid!!! Ya I'm going to burn oil and gas to heat my house! Not a chance. Wind power is popping up all over Canada large and small. The costs of energy is driving this...you are driving the green change. The demand and price of expensive oil and gas. By the way natuaral gas is not cheap and any moron that proclaims it is I would hate to see your financials. I bet I spend thousands of dollars less on gas and oil than you. Guess who saves more off every dollar earned, you or me? I don't need Alberta oil and neither does the future. The sooner this happens the better, just stay out of B.C. we don't need any dumb ass Albertans out here. Or your crappy feed lot corn fed beef. Go drink your yummy water.

Alberta is awash in oil. Why would they need wind energy? I don't know mabey ask anyone directly affected by the costs of global warmimg. Are you suggesting I burn oil and gas instead of wood? Are you really that stupid!!! Ya I'm going to burn oil and gas to heat my house! Not a chance. Wind power is popping up all over Canada large and small. The costs of energy is driving this...you are driving the green change. The demand and price of expensive oil and gas. By the way natuaral gas is not cheap and any moron that proclaims it is I would hate to see your financials. I bet I spend thousands of dollars less on gas and oil than you. Guess who saves more off every dollar earned, you or me? I don't need Alberta oil and neither does the future. The sooner this happens the better, just stay out of B.C. we don't need any dumb ass Albertans out here. Or your crappy feed lot corn fed beef. Go drink your yummy water.

If you like wasting wood when oil and gas is more efficient, then have at it. Do you know how that wood is cut, with oil and gas, and lots of it. Unless you have a team of Clydesdales and a giant bowsaw, that wood is cut with our best friend oil from Alberta.

You have fun splitting wood, I'll have fun with my geothermal that comes with free air conditioning.

No, at would be govern,net caving in to hippies is why wind power is popping up. If it was profitable, suncor have wind farms all over the place instead of throwing money at the oil sands.

Is 11 dollars more expensive than 3.58? That's what nat gas futures are, sounds cheap to me, especially with oil at 100 dollars.

I am quite certain you spend thousands less on oil and gas than I do, but my return on that will most likely destroy yours.

Oh and corn fed beef does taste the best, ask any patron at the keg, Moxies or earls.

I might be a dumb ass prairie boy, but I prefer to be a loaded dumb ass prairie boy.

Have fun being a hermit in the bush!

I'm sorry I don't have access to a computer right now so I can't research this, but what exactly does ontario's "diversified" economy consist of?

The entire Ontario economy is based around managing wealth generated in the west, regulating how that wealth can be generated, and providing infrastructure and services to the aforementioned occupations.

Southern Ontario and more specifically Toronto is still the centre of the universe. ;)

This whole snipiing at one another is stupid. Pot shots and fun are ok but some of this is getting dumb.

Alberta has oil and lots of it. They are making out like bandits and I love it. Giving my Calgary relatives lots of cash for their futures. Dont begrudge them a damn thing.

But this is new money and one needs to act like they have had it forever! Ontario has, and paid lots of money to weterners over the years. Pretty much without comment. (save for whatshisname ya all dont like)

So relax, have a beer, tell a 'Hatin' on TO ' Joke and have a good laugh. It is and always will be , one country.

Edited by guyser

Southern Ontario and more specifically Toronto is still the centre of the universe. ;)

This whole snipiing at one another is stupid. Pot shots and fun are ok but some of this is getting dumb.

Alberta has oil and lots of it. They are making out like bandits and I love it. Giving my Calgary relatives lots of cash for their futures. Dont begrudge them a damn thing.

But this is new money and one needs to act like they have had it forever! Ontario has, and paid lots of money to weterners over the years. Pretty much without comment. (save for whatshisname ya all dont like)

So relax, have a beer, tell a 'Hatin' on TO ' Joke and have a good laugh. It is and always will be , one country.

Its those that make the comments that make you guys look bad and get pot shots in retaliation.

Lots of energy companies ARE creating wind energy divisions, and the ammount of turbines built is increasing every year. They still pump oil because its going to take a few more decades to transition into the next energy age, and the wind cant make plastic and other petroleum products.

Lots of energy companies ARE creating wind energy divisions, and the ammount of turbines built is increasing every year. They still pump oil because its going to take a few more decades to transition into the next energy age, and the wind cant make plastic and other petroleum products.

It's still not as profitable as oil, the wind energy is a way for the energy companies to soak the government