Did Ovechkin get Boudreau fired?

olp1fan

OV does not see himself as being in their class of players, and he is right. he is better if he wants to be. Ovechkin has a whole dimension of meanness and physiclaity to his game that those guys only dream of.

I agree, but there is always a nice comfy purgatory in NY somewhere.

I like OV, he can bring it when he wants. But he has to want to. When he doesn't bad things happen. I would rather see OV give up a dozen goals get the physical side of his game going which at least one expert believed was essential.

That didn't take long.

Out with the Old Leaf and in with the new Old Leaf:

Anaheim Ducks fire Carlyle, hire Bruce Boudreau

ANAHEIM, CALIF.—Randy Carlyle appeared relieved after his Anaheim Ducks snapped a seven-game skid Wednesday night, figuring his talented club had turned a corner.

If only the winningest coach in franchise history had known what was waiting for him around that corner.

Fed up with the Ducks’ inexplicably slow start, the club fired the Stanley Cup-winning coach and his staff late Wednesday night. Anaheim swiftly replaced Carlyle with former Washington coach Bruce Boudreau, who was dismissed by the Capitals just two days earlier.

My bleacher report article said Kane was notorious for not back checking, I'll go with their opinion on the matter.

I'll go with actual facts, not opinions.

I guess you didn't see the Blackhawks Stanley Cup win a couple years ago, where Kane was a big part on both defence and offence. You simply cannot win Cups unless everybody contributes, and Kane certainly did- both ways. You can win a game of two crusing, but no way can you win four series.

Perhaps you were washing your hair or having a nap during the Vancouver Olympics, where the US team cam within a whisker of winning gold, and again Kane was flying- in both ends of the ice.

I'll go with actual facts, not opinions.

I guess you didn't see the Blackhawks Stanley Cup win a couple years ago, where Kane was a big part on both defence and offence. You simply cannot win Cups unless everybody contributes, and Kane certainly did- both ways. You can win a game of two crusing, but no way can you win four series.

Perhaps you were washing your hair or having a nap during the Vancouver Olympics, where the US team cam within a whisker of winning gold, and again Kane was flying- in both ends of the ice.

I saw those games, Kane was a nothing burger on defense. Heck there was big controversy in Chicago about making Kane a second line center because of his defensive liabilities and it's only very recently that he improved them. However, he won a cup being the weak link on defense.

For an elite player to get defensive, that player has to want to be defensive. Ov doesn't not want to be defensive, to counter at McPhee can upgrade his blue line and his third line. Some players have success playing defensively such as datsyuk and some don't.

I saw those games, Kane was a nothing burger on defense. Heck there was big controversy in Chicago about making Kane a second line center because of his defensive liabilities and it's only very recently that he improved them. However, he won a cup being the weak link on defense.

For an elite player to get defensive, that player has to want to be defensive. Ov doesn't not want to be defensive, to counter at McPhee can upgrade his blue line and his third line. Some players have success playing defensively such as datsyuk and some don't.

And perhaps it is not even defensive, but the simple ability to want to check. Even a decent forecheck is useful to offensive minded players. Does OV prefer to simply float?

Kane was +4 at the Olympics, you don't get ice time much less +4 if you do not backcheck.

OV is a one trick pony and the league found out his trick.

That is true. He has a couple of signature moves on the rush that opposition teams know about, and he is a shooter that now gets a lot of shots blocked.

But he is also very skilled guy, and he will adapt and prosper.

Agree about Semin being very expendable, though he is a much bigger trade risk for other teams than Ovechkin.