Do I have to declare my photography gear?

On my trip to Lake Winnipeg next spring, I'm of course going to bring my photography gear so that I can get whatever quality shots I can. Does anyone know if either Canadian or US customs (upon my return) will care that I'm traveling with my gear? For example, will US customs want proof that I had previously bought my gear in the States before my trip?

On my trip to Lake Winnipeg next spring, I'm of course going to bring my photography gear so that I can get whatever quality shots I can. Does anyone know if either Canadian or US customs (upon my return) will care that I'm traveling with my gear? For example, will US customs want proof that I had previously bought my gear in the States before my trip?

If they ask you what you're bringing across the border, just give a quick mention of any valuable equipment you may have. Don't try to hide anything. You should not be asked to provide proof of ownership. I travel by car across the US-Canadian border on a regular basis and transport all kinds of expensive items (computers, cameras, outdoor equipment, skis, TVs, furniture, etc) and have never been asked to provide proof of ownership. Often, such proof is not available in any case (I don't have the receipts for things I bought years ago, for example), and they can't really expect you to present it. You may, however, be required to present your vehicle registration, so make sure that's with you.

If they ask you what you're bringing across the border, just give a quick mention of any valuable equipment you may have. Don't try to hide anything. You should not be asked to provide proof of ownership. I travel by car across the US-Canadian border on a regular basis and transport all kinds of expensive items (computers, cameras, outdoor equipment, skis, TVs, furniture, etc) and have never been asked to provide proof of ownership. Often, such proof is not available in any case (I don't have the receipts for things I bought years ago, for example), and they can't really expect you to present it. You may, however, be required to present your vehicle registration, so make sure that's with you.

Oddly enough its a lot easier to cross the border with that kind of thing than it is to mail it. I go back and forth with all kinds of electronic stuff all the time and never get asked about it. But sometimes I work for companies that send me computers and software as part of our contract and its a huge headache every time. The shipper acts on behalf of customs and its extremely hard to get them to accept that this isnt something I am purchasing and that once my contract is up it will be shipped back.

Most of these questions you're asking can be answered by a quick google search. No need to fill up the forums with vacation questions.

Guest American Woman

Most of these questions you're asking can be answered by a quick google search. No need to fill up the forums with vacation questions.

I think the questions would be better suited for the "Travel, Leisure and Sports" section - it says

"Discuss anything related to travel, leisure and sports," so travel questions should be fine there.

Edited by American Woman