Canadian Nuclear Plant Pass Safety Review

Article here: http://abetterenergyplan.ca/#/news/Nuclear_plants

I know the article references Ontario plants but Canadian plants are CANDUs anyway, so I think it's widely applicable. So what do you think, are you safe living next to one?

Are you really that naive? OPG is saying that Darlington and Pickering are safe. Those are the same kinds of assurances the Japanese Power workers told all of Japan.

The reality is that Darlington GS is located over a fault that extends out into Lake Ontario. The hydrogen processing plant (D2O) contains high pressure hydrogen that would blow anything south of it about 1/2 mile into Lake Ontario (it is designed that way). The same crippling issue with hydrogen processing as Chernobyl is located in the turbine hall (few know that there was a second and more devastating explosion at Chernobyl that took out the sprinkler systems in the turbine hall). While CANDUs do have quadruple shut down safety systems, their hydrogen subsystems, and their standby generators are at the same risk as Japans. According to MOE a Hurricane Hazel magnitude storm can raise Lake Ontario 10' with an additional 6-10 feet in wave uprush. The standby generators are only 6' above normal lake levels and the containment berm around the generators is only 3' above that. Every indication points to a hurricane force storm taking out the standby generators which removes 3 of the 4 safety shut-down systems.

I know the article references Ontario plants but Canadian plants are CANDUs anyway, so I think it's widely applicable. So what do you think, are you safe living next to one?

They don't have the emergency procedures signs posted up around them for no reason. Stuff happens, newer technologies are safer. If you consider the 10 or 20 nuclear indcidents over the past 50 years that is about 1 issue every 10 years. If there are say 500 plants globally and 20 in Canada that works out to 1 in 25 chance of having an accident each decade. However these factors also need to take into consideration the reasons for the accidents. Candu reactors have a very high rate of operation, and are very safe. While minor accidents could happen... major accidents are rare. The coal that was pumped into the air probably caused more cancer than Fukashima will.

CANDU reactors, Canadian-invented deuterium-uranium design, are designed with at least one, and generally two, large low-temperature and low-pressure water reservoirs around their fuel/coolant channels. The first is the bulk heavy-water moderator (a separate system from the coolant), and the second is the light-water-filled shield tank. These backup heat sinks are sufficient to prevent either the fuel meltdown in the first place (using the moderator heat sink), or the breaching of the core vessel should the moderator eventually boil off (using the shield tank heat sink).[16] Other failure modes aside from fuel melt will probably occur in a CANDU rather than a meltdown, such as deformation of the calandria into a non-critical configuration. All CANDU reactors are located within standard Western containments as well.

You also need to look at it this way two of the accidents happened in the last year... so we should be good for 20 years...

the plants will probably last longer than nature does.

Of course upgrading facilities with government owned patents using the unemployed engineers and contractors out there is something that can be done provided, but you need to shy away from embezzeling to private companies. Governments should have their own public works in the military capable of working with and upgrading government infrastructure.

Edited by William Ashley

Nuclear power is the release of the energy in a quantum manner that is like smashing the shit out of a mini-galaxy - The results of such a release can never be fully contained - but do you best I suppose - there will always be problems - no such thing as free energy or anything else - It's like building a jail for satan - he will spend all of his time planning his escape - and eventually he will sneak out.