Mulcair doubts Bin Laden pictures exist

The deputy leader of Canada's new Official Opposition party says he doubts the U.S. has photos of Osama bin Laden's dead body.

Thomas Mulcair, who stands in for NDP Leader Jack Layton in the House of Commons when he is away, told CBC's Power & Politics that he doesn't believe photos exist of bin Laden following his killing by U.S. forces on Sunday in Pakistan.

"I don't think, from what I've heard, that those pictures exist and if they do I'll leave that up to the American military," he told host Evan Solomon.

"If they've got pictures of a cadaver then there's probably more going on than we suspect in what happened there," Mulcair said.

Mulcair also said the killing requires "a full analysis" on whether it was self-defence or a direct killing because "that has to do with American law and international law as well."

"I think that if the Americans have taken pictures in that circumstance, it won't be able to prove very much as to whether Mr. [bin Laden] was holding a weapon," he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/05/04/pol-mulcair-osama.html

In essence, Thomas Mulcair doubts Obama's word that pictures of a dead Bin Laden exist. And if pictures do exist, they may contain proof that Bin Laden was unarmed when he was shot. Mulcair should have kept his mouth shut on this matter. His ill advised comments kind of give some insight into what we could expect Canada-US relations would look like under a NDP government.

You have to watch the interview. He said he doesn't believe pictures exist of the fire fight, and that Osama had a gun in his hand when he was shot. He believes Osama is dead however he questions the idea they took pictures during the shooting of him.

He did call Osama Obama though.

Edited by punked

You have to watch the interview.

I saw the whole thing live.

What do you think about him musing about calling for an analysis of the killing and his reference to American and International law? Does he believe the actions of the US troops should be examined under these laws?. I think he should be asked to clarify his comments and whether this is the official NDP position.

I saw the whole thing live.

What do you think about him musing about calling for an analysis of the killing and his reference to American and International law? Does he believe the actions of the US troops should be examined under these laws?. I think he should be asked to clarify his comments and whether this is the official NDP position.

I think he was pretty clear in the interview. That is a question the US should deal with, he says believes Osama is dead and if their are pictures it is up to the US to do what they want with them. Seems like a good position to have to me.

Can you blame anyone in this world if they don't believe the US government since all the lies that GW and gang told?? Come on! There was a time back in 2002 or 2003, when the US military thought they had gotten OBL going over the mountains and said they need to get the DNA from someone in his family. Never heard anything after that. There's so many lies about 9/11 and it makes everything about 9/11 so confusing and people doubt everything the US put out there. 60 Minutes or some media, needs to go to Pakistan with a camera crew and talk to OBL wife and get her story and film her and her bullet wound in her leg, before anyone would even think its true! I know that the news is slow, but Evan went overboard on this one.

Was it really necessary to say anything about this other than to say that he's glad that after 10 years Osama has been dealt with?

That would have been the smart thing to do. Sometimes Mulcair talks on just for the sake of getting more face time in the media. The NDP is now the official opposition so, for all intents and purposes, it is a government-in-waiting so he'll have to learn to watch his tongue.

That would have been the smart thing to do. Sometimes Mulcair talks on just for the sake of getting more face time in the media. The NDP is now the official opposition so, for all intents and purposes, it is a government-in-waiting so he'll have to learn to watch his tongue.

Sadly, this is true. Even if he does doubt the existence of said photos, there are two problems with what he did.

First, what does it matter? Does it change anything if the SEALs took pictures of the firefight?

Second, whether they exist or not, now is not the time to be holding America's feet to the fire. More to this point, consider that it doesn't matter.

Third, you're pissing on something that the majority of people are happy to hear about. The celebrations in the streets are way over the top; however, I think it's fairly safe to say that this is a relief, at the very least, after 10 years of looking for this dirtbag.

Just an all-around boneheaded thing to do, questioning the existence of these photos.

Congratulate the US and move on to more important things.

This coming from someone that supports the NDP ideology.

Sadly, this is true. Even if he does doubt the existence of said photos, there are two problems with what he did.

First, what does it matter? Does it change anything if the SEALs took pictures of the firefight?

Second, whether they exist or not, now is not the time to be holding America's feet to the fire. More to this point, consider that it doesn't matter.

Third, you're pissing on something that the majority of people are happy to hear about. The celebrations in the streets are way over the top; however, I think it's fairly safe to say that this is a relief, at the very least, after 10 years of looking for this dirtbag.

Just an all-around boneheaded thing to do, questioning the existence of these photos.

Congratulate the US and move on to more important things.

This coming from someone that supports the NDP ideology.

He said in the interview that it doesn't matter if they exist or not. It is up the US military if they should release the photos and he can understand why they didn't. Nothing wrong with that. He could have been clearer but what he said wasn't something to get up in arms about.

I think the word "hoax" says it all.

A little revisionist on your part when you get called maybe?

3 US senators fell for a fake picture or a Hoax today and said they saw a picture of Osama dead. That picture was not real. When something isn't real it is a Hoax.

What is wrong with this statement? Is the truth not good for you? Would you like me to lie because 3 US senators did not see a REAL picture today?

Why are you so ill informed?

He said in the interview that it doesn't matter if they exist or not. It is up the US military if they should release the photos and he can understand why they didn't. Nothing wrong with that. He could have been clearer but what he said wasn't something to get up in arms about.

I'm not saying that it was. I'm saying that he was careless for putting himself in a position to be painted in a negative light like this. I think we can both agree that now is not the time to say anything other than "congratulations Obama."

Third, you're pissing on something that the majority of people are happy to hear about.

There is also the fact that 24 Canadians died on 9/11. Politicians at Mulcair's level should be aware of the sensibilities around this in Canada.

I'm not saying that it was. I'm saying that he was careless for putting himself in a position to be painted in a negative light like this. I think we can both agree that now is not the time to say anything other than "congratulations Obama."

No I agree with that. Although what he said wasn't inflammatory people are just misrepresenting it.

I agree that what he said wasn't inflammatory, but as a politician, he has to expect that his words are going to be twisted. This is one of the best skills politicians have. They avoid making comments that can be twisted. Mulcair needs practice. Like I said, he ought to have just said how happy he is for the accomplishment and left it at that.

He said in the interview that it doesn't matter if they exist or not.

He said too much.

He could have been clearer but what he said wasn't something to get up in arms about.

Now that the NDP has over 100 seats in the House of Commons and is the official opposition, be prepared that they will be the focus of more scrutiny. Get used it.

He said too much.

Now that the NDP has over 100 seats in the House of Commons and is the official opposition, be prepared that they will be the focus of more scrutiny. Get used it.

Now that the NDP have a 100 seats there are more of us then ever before. Don't expect to say something with out getting push back. The NDP are the opposition and will be a load and fierce opposition. Get use to it.

3 US senators fell for a fake picture or a Hoax today and said they saw a picture of Osama dead. That picture was not real. When something isn't real it is a Hoax.

What is wrong with this statement? Is the truth not good for you? Would you like me to lie because 3 US senators did not see a REAL picture today?

Why are you so ill informed?

Three US Senators saw it? I call BS. Let's see a link.

Your source leaves a lot to be desired.

I may be forced to go to rabble.ca

If rabble was an award winning news source then yes. It isn't though because they only give out Polk awards to actual journalists.

I await your apology.

Edited by punked