The 15% elephant in the room

Guest Derek L

Guest Derek L

Your friend bought into a market that everyone knows is a bubble and will likely be burned for it.

If you risk your money you risk losing your money.

Certainly, thats the name of the game, which I feel will come to burn many spectulators that purchased rental properties leading up to the 2010 games. In the end, he's finacally secure, and the worse that could happen is he keeps his 65 years old building and keeps renting to students/young people that want to live in trendy Kitsilano.

The people I truely feel sorry for, are the young families starting out on their first mortgage on a ~300 townhouse/Condo. NDP gets in, banks raise intrest rates 3% and the cost of home ownership just raised $500 dollars a month. Alot of people won't be able to afford that.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly, thats the name of the game, which I feel will come to burn many spectulators that purchased rental properties leading up to the 2010 games. In the end, he's finacally secure, and the worse that could happen is he keeps his 65 years old building and keeps renting to students/young people that want to live in trendy Kitsilano.

The people I truely feel sorry for, are the young families starting out on their first mortgage on a ~300 townhouse/Condo. NDP gets in, banks raise intrest rates 3% and the cost of home ownership just raised $500 dollars a month. Alot of people won't be able to afford that.

Rates will go up sooner or later. Probably sooner rather than later.

I can sympathize, a friend bought a little three storey, wood frame apartment complex in Vancouver’s west end during the recession and is now trying desperately to sell for fears of the Vancouver real estate bubble bursting, and now the threat of the NDP winning. He’s scared shitless that he’ll take a bath on it.

It’s ironic really, most of his renters are students at UBC and likely NDP/Green supporters….due to the age of the building, most interest he’s been getting is from potential buyers, pending they can have the lot rezoned commercial.

That bubble will burst no matter what happens. Vancouver's housing prices are absolutely bananas. I think it's pretty unfair to lay that blame at a future government when it's past governments who oversaw the creation of the bubble.

Guest Derek L

That bubble will burst no matter what happens. Vancouver's housing prices are absolutely bananas. I think it's pretty unfair to lay that blame at a future government when it's past governments who oversaw the creation of the bubble.

I agree with you and BattleToad (two toads really screwing me up), that yes it will burst and intrest rates will go up eventually.

But when, how bad and how high? That I think will depend on the markets, which in turn will result to an extent on federal government policies.

And yes, the Vancouver market is nuts.......300k will get you a closet in the downtown core or a 50 year old tear down house in the fraser valley, 100km from Vancouver.

Er, $500 a month? A 3% raise in rates will be about a $5,000 a month increase for someone paying a mortgage on a decent house in Vancouver.

I expect a NDP minority or even a majority, depending how the voters mood is and for Jack to survive, he better get the majority because he doesn't know what faces him and he may not be able to do the things he's promises. Harper is more to blame if Jack succeeds forming a government. Harper has poisoned the voters with the Liberals, no matter who the leader is/was and so most voters don't want another Harper govt, so Jacks the only choice. If Jack has only a minority, then Harper will bring back the same budget, the opposition parties will say no and then its up to GG, Jack will have to try to form a government with the Libs and if it doesn't happen, another election, then Harper will say, see I told you so, give me my majority. Harper playing games again.

Does the poll show what percentage of the 37% are undecided?

I still stand by my assertion that the 15% undecided are A-political and will likely make up their minds after the royal wedding and hockey games are over on Sunday night. I doubt these undecided Canadians strategically vote with the aim of helping a particular party, since they would likely show up in polls as said party supporter as opposed to undecided.

If ABC=NDP, then so be it.

I can describe 3 (4) undecided voters- 'cause we travelled together to an all-candidates meeting.

I'd show up in polls as a Liberal (My father-in-law is laughing his butt off somewhere in the afterlife over that). One of the others was polled, and said he was a decided Green voter (Rii-i-ight.). The third would come up clearly as undecided and (4) is his wife, who he noted was completely uninterested in Canadian politics but nonetheless would vote, and would ask him, "Who should I vote for, then?" (He found that embarrassing.)

All three of us went there in hope of finding a solid Liberal candidate- our various needs would be satisfied by that- but we were disappointed. While all of us are generally fiscally conservative, socially laissez-faire, red tory kind of range, I can guarantee that none of us will be voting for the CPC candidate, and I'm thinking CHP is extremely unlikely, too, even as a joke. Beyond that, anything is possible. Any or all could go Liberal, or NDP... or CAP...

Edit: and all four will vote. 'Undecided' does not mean apathetic.

Edited by Molly

BC under Glen Clark and then Ujjal Dosanjh.

Yeah--- NDP is really popular in BC-- especially after the last NDP government had such a reputation for honesty as in "gee I didn't know the party wasn't supposed to steal from a charity or What ???our Minister of justice is being charged with theft & fraud?

Yeah--- NDP is really popular in BC-- especially after the last NDP government had such a reputation for honesty as in "gee I didn't know the party wasn't supposed to steal from a charity or What ???our Minister of justice is being charged with theft & fraud?

Dosanjh is a liberal.

Looks like the Liberal Party is a bastion of failed leaders, eh?

I heard they were offering 99 year mortgages/leases down there. The only time I heard of something like that was for use of crown land. I guess the people down there are still making the payments, but I'm also in the bubble popping camp. Its going to be like saskatchewan in the early 80s