Liberals losing steam

That doesn't seem to be substantiated by any polls that I've seen.

Me neither, but some folks have an awfully good nose for what's happening on the ground. FWIW... I would credit one of those two with having such a nose, and the other as being a better than average observer.

I'll be watching for it from here on out, especially in the final results. It's not a report I expected.

To what did they attribute it? Did they foresee an NDP breakthrough in SK?

To Conservative mis-steps and miscalculations rather than to anything that others had done well. Both spoke of Helena; one was agog at the Guelph ballotbox thing; both had a shopping list

We didn't discuss who would be the recipient locally, though given those ridings, it would have to be NDP. A breakthrough would take a BIG shift in sentiment since the margins have been wide. I wasn't hearing predictions of NDP seats (though they can't be ruled out) but rather a closing of what has been a wide gap.

The politico anticipated that the LPC would benefit nationally and felt that a majority has now become fairly unlikely-- but was calling largely to get confirmation of that take. I couldn't confirm it.

And yet they still won't get a majority, and will still be vulnerable to defeat within a few weeks of the election. It's a peculiar kind of victory to win the battle and lose the war.

I'm not so sure, TB! There's some strange things happening.

First off, it's a given that the political parties have access to better polls than the MSM. No doubt they pay more for them! So they can see things that we mortals cannot. Even more, their poll results are not slanted by the need to sell papers.

So when we see the Ignatieff team drag out the old guys from the days of scandal, it MUST show some desperation!

Since before the start of the campaign, the Liberals and the Conservatives really haven't moved a great deal in the polls. The MSM frantically tries to make it look like a race, boosting up every slight increase in a Liberal poll and exaggerating the negative effect of any slight Tory drop.

In reality, the Liberals were doomed to a poor showing at the start and so far Ignatieff has done little or nothing to improve it. The only one to show improvement is Layton! This will likely be an advantage to Harper, as the NDP tend to steal far more Liberal votes than Tory.

We might be starting to see a Liberal meltdown comparable to the Campbell election. Perhaps the NDP are destined to become the Official Opposition and the Liberals will fade out like they did in Britain. I don't think it likely but it is possible. Still, I've believed all along that the big guns in the Liberal party expected to take at least two terms to get past the stink of AdScam. Dion and Ignatieff are mere placeholders. The NEXT election we will likely see better leadership candidates and much more excitement!

For that to happen though, Ignatieff has to at least "save the furniture". He may not be expected to make gains but no one in the party wants him to suffer any losses. If he can't manage at least a respectable showing the NDP might well displace the Liberals, perhaps for a long time.

Finally, things are starting to get more interesting! I was really getting rather bored with it all!

To Conservative mis-steps and miscalculations rather than to anything that others had done well. Both spoke of Helena; one was agog at the Guelph ballotbox thing; both had a shopping list

We didn't discuss who would be the recipient locally, though given those ridings, it would have to be NDP. A breakthrough would take a BIG shift in sentiment since the margins have been wide. I wasn't hearing predictions of NDP seats (though they can't be ruled out) but rather a closing of what has been a wide gap.

The politico anticipated that the LPC would benefit nationally and felt that a majority has now become fairly unlikely-- but was calling largely to get confirmation of that take. I couldn't confirm it.

Molly, has everyone forgotten how the Opposition howled at Harper until he cut of Helena's head? The longer he delayed the more nasty names they called him!

Now, after he did what they wanted, they're howling at him for doing it!

I know it's just politics but the hypocrisy always sickens me. And Helena is shameless at playing for the camera, dragging out babies for Pete's Sake!

Has everyone forgotten her famous meltdown at that Nfld. airport? Does anyone really believe that she knew nothing about what her husband was up to and had no participation herself?

It's like believing that Mulroney genuinely didn't know there was anything sneaky about Herr Schreiber and the Airbus money!

I think a bit of non-partisan objectivity is sorely needed on this board...

Molly, has everyone forgotten how ... (etc)

I think a bit of non-partisan objectivity is sorely needed on this board...

I haven't forgotten how she recieved the nomination here, how she was elected and promoted, held up as a golden girl and appointed to cabinet... I remember, because I had intended to vote Conservative until I discovered the identity of my candidate.

My reaction now is something like that Simpsons character, Nelson.. the one who points at misfortune and says, 'Haw-haw!'. I might even vote for her this time.

As long as it's the Liberal and NDP supporters right?

Not exactly. I do believe that the partisan slams are predominately against Harper. Perhaps we should go back through some of the threads and count them. I could name specific posters but that would likely just cause more trouble.

Myself, as I've said many times, I only support the Tories for lack of anything better. Perhaps next time the Liberals will give me something worth voting for. I have a lot of deep grudges against Harper for abandoning all the Reform values when they merged the parties. I just have no other choices I can stomach!

That being said, I can certainly see his flaws and recognize when he does something wrong. The difference is, there are a number of posters on this board who call virtually everything he does a crime against the universe!

It's just stupid - so "high school".