Liberals turf canidate who founded white-supremacist group

All it reveals is that when he was nominated as a candidate and the guy filled out his paperwork he lied on it, or the "Are you or have you ever been a Racist or made a disparaging remark about any group of people in your life?" question wasn't on it... The riding association accepted him as a candidate based on that paperwork...

Why would someone vet all 308 candidate nominies that have been acceped and elected by their riding associations beyond the official (it's a criminal offence to make false statements on them) documents that they have to sign?

Sure, it happens, you get a bad apple, you boot the person, you move on...

Checking EVERYBODY out online trying to find dirt on people isn't the kind of "Government Controlled State" (read dictatorial police state) I ever want Canada to become... That's Harper's vision of what Canada should be... Not mine...

You have got to be kidding me GWiz. Do you think there should be a carte blanche for everyone that 'filled out the paperwork' and then leave it at that? For a federal candidate, no vetting of the candidate application by the riding association at all?

Incompetence, plain and simple. Idefensible incompetence, not to mention that it is highly unlikely that more than a few in the riding association or LPC members in that riding had no idea of his history.

Which all goes to illustrate the rot that a lot of former LPC members complain about. It isn't necessarily rot at the top, it is rot in the roots and lower branches. And until the LPC start pruning off the dead weight and doing a better job at attracting the right kind of candidate - you know, actual 'liberals' - then the preception remains.

And both you and I know, the perception remains.

Definitely I advocate accountability, but this is about 'gotcha' politics. We need to hold the candidates accountable for priority items.

And their publicly stated views are not "priority items?"

To my mind, the big picture should focus on the services rendered to Canadians and their costs.

So it's OK to hire criminals, so long as the services rendered are OK?

Yes, both the L-party and C-party messed this up.

Sure, a slip up. Let's move on. An unfortunate accident. Riiiiight.

I think something similar happened to a backbench CPC or Reform candidate a few elections ago.

And the LPC should shut down the riding association, period. Revive it once the election is over. It is not like any LPC votes in Manicougan are going to count for much. Unless for money grubbing for chump change, in which case some things are more important than principles.

It's important in that it reveals that the parties aren't very good at applying a screening process.

No shit Sherlock.

Is that the point though - what they 'wanted?'

Curious - you are a chief advocate for accountability, but when it is presented, it is a mere "distraction."

The problem being is that the LPC have no problem raising the issue about Carson, shady dealings, unsavory types as current election issues with the CPC, but God forbid someone would want to take the LPC to task for not knowing who their representatives are. In an age when I can simply Google someone in 10 seconds. Let me emphasize: their representatives.

That is shoddy and it's an issue.

It is not like the guy went off the deep-end just recently. He has a history.

A real leader would have closed down and suspended the riding association right there and then or have it completely replaced. And why is that? For gross incompetence. Are you telling me the riding association had no idea about this guy's past remarks and associations? If they didn't, gross incompetence; if they did and let it slide, gross incompetence.

Would it more than a "distraction" if he had said something about the Jews or Blacks?

Yet you vote for Harper....how long did Bruce Carson work in the PMO? It was a horrible mistake for this candidate to get through but at least Ignatieff did the right thing and canned this guy.

Local Ridings normally nominate Candidates, not parties, the PC are an exception.... or so the story goes.

A given local riding association votes on who their candidate will be.

So what if someone is a white supremicist.. if they are and they get appointed then that is either a critical failure ore representation of the membership of that riding.

Who knows maybe the bloc or CPC infiltrated that riding organization then nominated him to cause a stink later?

Or maybe he really was the best candidate... to nominate..

Does the Liberal Party have an official policy baring rascists from running as candidates?

Does the federal government.. apparently Mr. Clement is a known white supremisist who is a federal minister.

Edited by William Ashley