Next Leader of the Liberal Party

There has been talk of Manley and Pettigrew. I suggested Dion. I've heard Charest mooted. What about Tobin, or McKenna? Lapierre? Copps?

No doubt the choice will be connected to the errors of this campaign. I may be wrong but I don't see the Liberals getting involved in endless internecine feuds. Turn the page, get on with life.

Tradition has it that the next federal Liberal leader will be a francophone. Will the Libs break the tradition this time around?

Will we face a wide open leadership campaign as in 1968 where it will take several rounds to decide the leader?

I'm assuming that PM PM tanks, of course. But hypotheticals are what Internet forums are all about.

I don't see that a loss on June 28th would mean Martin is obliged to resign. In fact I would be very suprised if he did, he doens't have Trudeau's ego. I think he will stay on, if he lost two in a row he might be pushed but I don't think he'll resign over 1, in fact some time in opposition might be just what he needs to get back in form, the scandals behind him and retake a majority. You never know, but after waiting this long to get the PM I can't see him giving up on it this easily. Not his style.

Trust me, if he loses on the 28th he is gone whether he wants to go or not. The knives will be out and the longer he stays the more divided the Liberal party will be. Which isn't all that bad from my point of view. Especially after we find out the truth about all the Liberal scandels. When the truth comes out, I think they are going to have alot more problems then Martin being leader. :D

Trust me, if he loses on the 28th he is gone whether he wants to go or not.
PM PM is 66 years old. He's a CEO type. He's not going to hang around in opposition.

If he gets a minority - more seats than Harper - I think he's also gone. He has said many times, "I didn't get involved in politics to do...."

He knows he's about to resign. Look at his face. He wanted to be PM with a majority. It didn`t happen.

The knives will be out and the longer he stays the more divided the Liberal party will be.
Don't you see all the knives sticking out of PM PM's back now? Guess who put them there?

Don`t get me wrong. I have no sympathy for PM PM. He knifed Chretien. But Chretien has sliced better. Two old stags.

I think Martin will hold on to his dream to finish his father's wor,k without that he is nothing. The Liberals will smarten up and while a lot of Chretienites will take their pound of flesh (notice Martin is now running on his record, coming full circle) they won't throw him out after this. After all, the Liberals have been in power for 11 years and their are legacies not Martin's. The stuff about Martin being overthrown is coming out of the National Post and it is not exactly unbiased.