NFL Playoffs

lukin

Just a tweaking.

Uconn did not deserve to play for the Fiesta Bowl.

Well changing the playoff system from divisions to a seeding system is really a huge overhaul...

And while the UConn story is a cool one,I don't know why anyone thought that a UConn/Oklahoma matchup would competative?

And that does'nt ahve anything to do with the NFL playoff system...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both sides have interesting points. I remember there being all kinds of beefing about this in the NHL a few decades ago. There was the same beef about the 2008 Cards too. I mean, they were 9-7, but many of those wins were over weak teams including 6 wins in their brutal division.

In 2004 two 8-8 teams, Vikings and Rams made the playoffs ahead of AFC teams with a winning record.

In 2006 the 8-8 Giants made the playoffs ahead of the 9-7 Broncos and ahead of 7 other 8-8 teams

In 2008 the 8-8 Chargers were in while the 11-5 Pats and the 9-7 Giants, Cowboys, Bucs and Bears were out.

NFL Seasons

The reality is, you pays your money, you takes your chances. At the beginning of any given season any team with a losing record could make the NFL playoffs and have a chance to win the Super Bowl. This wasn't some unknown factor that suddenly came into play, it has always been this way in the modern era. It's not like they can play 168 games to figure it out or 82 and its not like there is time for a fully balanced season where each team can play the other in a home and home.

According to the setup Seattle did what was necessary to win their division and qualify for the playoffs.

I would like to see the system tweaked so that Seattle gets in but doesn't get to play at home.

I would certainly entertain other ideas that would help keep such a weak team (in the regular season) out of the playoffs all together.

Based on footballoutsiders, this Seattle team was absolutely terrible during the regular season and I would prefer a system that would have helped get a better team through: Final DVOA Ratings 2010.

The problem with NFL playoffs is that they are "one and done."

So, yes, luck plays a greater role (as does poor officiating as the Seahawks found out against the Steelers a few years ago) in the outcome.

When you're playing a best of 7, the better team usually prevails.

Under one and done, weak teams can get through to the end.

No, it's not the end of the world - the Giants beat the Patriots in what was an entertaining SB (I say this despite cheering for the Pats if only to shut up those damn Dolphin idiots about being the "perfect" team....).

But then, those Giants, who may have been weak that year, had a better regular season than the Seahawks did this year.

From an entertainment POV, I want the strongest teams from the regular season to make the playoffs.

Perhaps the best way to do this would be to reduce the number of teams from 32 to 28 to strengthen the entire league.

I would like to see the system tweaked so that Seattle gets in but doesn't get to play at home.

I would certainly entertain other ideas that would help keep such a weak team (in the regular season) out of the playoffs all together.

Based on footballoutsiders, this Seattle team was absolutely terrible during the regular season and I would prefer a system that would have helped get a better team through: Final DVOA Ratings 2010.

The problem with NFL playoffs is that they are "one and done."

So, yes, luck plays a greater role (as does poor officiating as the Seahawks found out against the Steelers a few years ago) in the outcome.

When you're playing a best of 7, the better team usually prevails.

Under one and done, weak teams can get through to the end.

No, it's not the end of the world - the Giants beat the Patriots in what was an entertaining SB (I say this despite cheering for the Pats if only to shut up those damn Dolphin idiots about being the "perfect" team....).

But then, those Giants, who may have been weak that year, had a better regular season than the Seahawks did this year.

From an entertainment POV, I want the strongest teams from the regular season to make the playoffs.

Perhaps the best way to do this would be to reduce the number of teams from 32 to 28 to strengthen the entire league.

Your last point IS the point,I believe...

The real reason that a weaker team like Seattle could make the playoffs,aside from the obvious fact that St.Louis could'nt beat this weak team last weak and get in the playoffs with an 8-8 record,is the fact that there are too many teams with too many marginal football players on them.

The other thing is,and Seattle does'nt really fit that mold,but teams like the Giants play in the NFC East which is probably the toughest division in the NFL over the last 30 years.A 9-7 NFC East team might be an 10-6 to an 11-5 team in another division.

And I agree with you about some Dolphin fans...I had to deal with them in '85,when the Chicago Bears were 12-0 and lost to Miami on a Monday night in December...The Bears went 15-1 that year and won the Super Bowl with probably the most destructive and dominant defence ever!Had they defeated the Dolphins,they probably would have been considered the greatest team of all time...

Your last point IS the point,I believe...

The real reason that a weaker team like Seattle could make the playoffs,aside from the obvious fact that St.Louis could'nt beat this weak team last weak and get in the playoffs with an 8-8 record,is the fact that there are too many teams with too many marginal football players on them.

The other thing is,and Seattle does'nt really fit that mold,but teams like the Giants play in the NFC East which is probably the toughest division in the NFL over the last 30 years.A 9-7 NFC East team might be an 10-6 to an 11-5 team in another division.

And I agree with you about some Dolphin fans...I had to deal with them in '85,when the Chicago Bears were 12-0 and lost to Miami on a Monday night in December...The Bears went 15-1 that year and won the Super Bowl with probably the most destructive and dominant defence ever!Had they defeated the Dolphins,they probably would have been considered the greatest team of all time...

I dunno, I think there could be quite a few more teams and there is a TON of talent that never plays NFL that probably could. Why stop with contraction to 28 teams, which would make a marginal difference to the competitive level, why not reduce it down to 12? But then you would have another equally competitive league spring up, call it the American Football League. They put a team in Buffalo... :D

If you look over the season records over the years, divisions come and go with respect to overall records in the league - unbalanced schedules, short season, etc.

It all comes down to you pays your money, you takes your chances... however, they could re-aling the divisions a little, but I don't think that would fix the fact that a weak team, or even a team under .500 would be able to make the playoffs without some drastic team re-alignment and in competitive philosophy.

Guest American Woman
That was a good game.

It sure was! :)

Burton Cummings wrote a song about American Woman.

I know --that's where I got my name from. I love The Guess Who. "Share the Land" is one of my favorites.

Edited by American Woman

Da Bears. Second choice for me. Then any other team hugging The Great Lakes, including the Steelers who are an honourary Great Lakes team.

Don't mind the Steelers...A old NFL team...I kinda hope they destroy Baltimore on Saturday might,however,I think that will be a very close game...

Other Great Lake teams like Buffalo,Cleveland,and Detroit??

Yeesh... :blink::o

Bear Down Chicago Bears!!!!

And Dick Butkus rules the all time linebacker roost!!!

Ya' hear that,Ray Lewis???

Those are Butkus' footsteps you hear!!!!

Edited by Jack Weber

Guest American Woman

He used to live in the North End of Winnipeg. It was and still is a tough area of the city.

So is he from your neck of the woods?

BTO...Where are the cheese heads?

Partying! B)

Edited by American Woman

So is he from your neck of the woods?

Partying! B)

No. When I was young I lived in the south end of the City. I currently live in the northeast quadrant of the city.

I believe Burton Cummings now has homes in British Columbia and California. Randy Bachman lives on Vancouver Island I think.

Edited by pinko

Don't mind the Steelers...A old NFL team...I kinda hope they destroy Baltimore on Saturday might,however,I think that will be a very close game...

Other Great Lake teams like Buffalo,Cleveland,and Detroit??

Yeesh... :blink::o

Yep, and sometimes Cincy. I love northern football for some reason. Perhaps it is playing in the outdoors in a blizzard or frozen muck that has something to do with it, a little less comfy living room precision and more wide open. A little more blue-collar rougher. No billion dollar stadium, or palms trees for this style.

Hey Don't knock the Lions, the won their last four and 6 of their losses were by less that a TD. Da Bears squeeked by them twice. In the first game, Johnson did score and everyone knew it. In the second game they lost by four. Against the Pack they lost by two and then beat them. A couple of plays here and there and they would have had a memorable season. So they still stink, just not as bad. :D

Bear Down Chicago Bears!!!!

Pack, then Bears, then Steelers. Although the Ravens are looking awfully good, dunno if the Steelers beat them. But any team that has Troy Polamalu, well, ya gotta respect that defence.

And Dick Butkus rules the all time linebacker roost!!!

Ya' hear that,Ray Lewis???

Those are Butkus' footsteps you hear!!!!

Be careful Butkus, Lewis carries a gun. :P

Edited by Shwa

Pack, then Bears, then Steelers. Although the Ravens are looking awfully good, dunno if the Steelers beat them. But any team that has Troy Polamalu, well, ya gotta respect that defence.

Be careful Butkus, Lewis carries a gun. :P

The thing going for the Steelers is that they have had a week off,Roethlesberger has had an extra week to rest his foot,and,Polamalu has has a week to rest his Achilles?(I know he's a little banged up and I think that was the problem.)

For all of Polamalu's ability,I have to disagree...Not on his ability,but his contribution to the Steeler defence...Personally,the key to the Steeler defence is their Linebacker play,particularily James Harrison,Larry Foote,and,James Farrior.It's the speed and yackling ability of those three that determine how the Steelers do because of the 3-4 D that Dick LeBeau plays.Remember,it was Harrison's INT for a touchdown that won the Super Bowl 2 years ago.It was also Polamalu vacating his Safety position that allowed Larry Fitzgerald to score what looked like the winning TD on a relatively short pass and run.

I would also say that this is the reason for the Packer success...Clay Mathews and A.J.Hawke are the reason that the Packers D is so effective.Add in a Charles Woodson,who I think is a better all around defensive player than Polamalu,and you've got a recipe for success.

Ray Lewis???

PPPfffftttt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR2uIk9Kzn8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZuSmEoj5Fo

Ray Lewis can only be judged by the Gold Standard for all Linebackers.And he comes up short!

There's Butkus,and then there's everybody else!