Subliminal message

There is an interesting observation about the current Liberal attack ad. Do you think this was an intentional fear tactic or just part of information intended to wake up Canadians to the dangers of voting Conservative.

I wouldn't call it an "interesting" observation so much as a "retarded" observation. ;)

The whole problem with that analysis in the link is that what the author is claiming as a subliminal message, isn't.

Subliminals are when images or text are "hidden" in the video, such as the infamous "SEX" in the clouds of the Lion King, or sexy ladies in ice cubes (I believe it was a brand of vodka).

Even if subliminals were proven to work, which is far from the truth, there is nothing subliminal in a gun being raised to the camera and fired, and followed by a scene of a factory.

As for the original article saying The muzzle flash itself would only be 3/100 of a second., well, so what? Shots of actual gun fire do record muzzle flash for a grand total of a single frame. There is nothing shocking or misleading about that. Muzzle flash can appear to last up to two frames, if the original source was interlaced and later brought into progressive mode, though it's clear that the flash is just a post-production effect.

I find it amusing that the original author, clearly a conspiracy theorist of the highest order (and when I say highest, it COULD be in more than one context), goes on to call these tactics

...anti-democratic manipulation boarders on brainwashing. The dread you felt watching this ad was manufactured dishonestly and if the Liberals really believed they had a valid case to make I don't think they would resort to such immoral, and possibly illegal, tactics.

When they are nothing of the sort.

To make a long story short, might as well lock the thread now, because that isn't an example of a subliminal message.

;)

or just part of information intended to wake up Canadians to the dangers of voting Conservative.

I guess you just had to throw that in there, didn't you?

This latest attempt to label a Conservative government in this country as 'dangerous' is so intellectually lame that it sais a lot about the ideology of those people perpetuating it.

When are Conservative opponents going to come up with ACTUAL reasons to vote for parties other than the Conservatives?

This latest attempt to label a Conservative government in this country as 'dangerous' is so intellectually lame that it sais a lot about the ideology of those people perpetuating it.

To people who support a viable system of social services, equality, peace, the seperation of church and state, economic policies that benefit the majority of Canadians, independant foreign policy, a clean environment and so on, the Conservatives are dangerous.

You don't need to trot out bogus "subliminal messages" to show that.

Bogus subliminal message is correct.

What this does is reminds Canadians that a gun was fired at them in a Liberal ad. I can't imagine a better image to define this election. Black dog is correct, Conservatives don't need subliminal messages cause the message is so in your face.

That was my point Dennis.

The whole problem with that analysis in the link is that what the author is claiming as a subliminal message, isn't.

Subliminals are when images or text are "hidden" in the video, such as the infamous "SEX" in the clouds of the Lion King, or sexy ladies in ice cubes (I believe it was a brand of vodka).

A subliminal message need not contain text or images. The idea here would be to affect or influence the mood of the viewer without being obvious about it. If the gun going off (incidentally, a hand gun, which has nothing at all to do with the gun registration controversy) in the face of the viewer has some kind of influence on the subconscious as he or she watches then that is indeed a subliminal message.

Even if subliminals were proven to work, which is far from the truth, there is nothing subliminal in a gun being raised to the camera and fired, and followed by a scene of a factory.
To be honest, I did not know the gun had been fired until I saw the video slowed down in the news story. That would make it subliminal.
I find it amusing that the original author, clearly a conspiracy theorist of the highest order

Or perhaps someone who merely watched the news tonight where this was demonstrated, where it was pointed out that subliminal advertising was banned by the CRTC, and that there has been a complaint registered with them about this.

To make a long story short, might as well lock the thread now, because that isn't an example of a subliminal message.

;)

Are you related to Takeanumber? "This is so because I say it's so!"

A subliminal message need not contain text or images. The idea here would be to affect or influence the mood of the viewer without being obvious about it. If the gun going off (incidentally, a hand gun, which has nothing at all to do with the gun registration controversy) in the face of the viewer has some kind of influence on the subconscious as he or she watches then that is indeed a subliminal message.

To be honest, I did not know the gun had been fired until I saw the video slowed down in the news story. That would make it subliminal.
I find it amusing that the original author, clearly a conspiracy theorist of the highest order

Or perhaps someone who merely watched the news tonight where this was demonstrated, where it was pointed out that subliminal advertising was banned by the CRTC, and that there has been a complaint registered with them about this.

;)

Are you related to Takeanumber? "This is so because I say it's so!"

You say-- A subliminal message need not contain text or images. The idea here would be to affect or influence the mood of the viewer without being obvious about it.

Yes, deliberately hidden sound, text or images ARE the definition of a subliminal message. The ad attempts to affect the mood of the viewer overtly, not subliminally. It uses a gun raising, firing and revealing a bleak factory.

Advertising has been deliberately affecting the mood of the viewer for decades without subliminals. This ad uses modern, evocative styles to elicit the moods desired in the viewer, without the use of subliminals.

You say--To be honest, I did not know the gun had been fired until I saw the video slowed down in the news story. That would make it subliminal.

Just because you missed it, doesn't make it subliminal, either. It only means that YOU missed it. I didn't miss it on television. Computer playback may vary for a number of reasons.

You say---Or perhaps someone who merely watched the news tonight where this was demonstrated, where it was pointed out that subliminal advertising was banned by the CRTC, and that there has been a complaint registered with them about this.

So what if someone complains? The complaint is without merit.

You say--Are you related to Takeanumber? "This is so because I say it's so!"

And I say you are totally wrong. I've clearly demonstrated what constitutes subliminal advertising, and how the example cited is NOT a bona fide case. Show me where my logic is flawed. Better yet, look up what subliminal messages are all about. It's not my fault you don't understand the definition of subliminal and how it pertains to this conversation. ;)

That's why this is a non-issue. Plain and simple.

Clear inaccuracies from that add:

* 1.2 billion in military spending would only buy a 1/3 of an aircraft carrier.

* They showed a hand gun and the promise was to scrap the long gun registry

* Clearly state once again tonight that abortion rights will be protected

* The Bloc wants nothing to do with the Conservatives and the Conservatives want nothing to do with the Bloc

* And Canada has always had a close relationship with the US and with 80% of our trade going south, this will continue and our flag has not dissolved yet

Subliminal or not, it is crap and just reinforces that the Fiberals tell lies and can’t be trusted. When the Bloc/NDP repeats the same stuff it just builds apathy about all the parties.

Hey I will agree, many on this forum have plenty of things to disagree with the Conservatives on but why not focus on reality and not misrepresentation.

E.G. tax credit vs. direct child care, Transfer funding increase or directed health funding, tax cuts vs. business subsidy.

All good things we can really sink our teeth into and valid reasons to support or not support a party.

The misrepresentation is vexing.

Clear inaccuracies from that add:

* 1.2 billion in military spending would only buy a 1/3 of an aircraft carrier.

* They showed a hand gun and the promise was to scrap the long gun registry

* Clearly state once again tonight that abortion rights will be protected

* The Bloc wants nothing to do with the Conservatives and the Conservatives want nothing to do with the Bloc

* And Canada has always had a close relationship with the US and with 80% of our trade going south, this will continue and our flag has not dissolved yet

Subliminal or not, it is crap and just reinforces that the Fiberals tell lies and can’t be trusted. When the Bloc/NDP repeats the same stuff it just builds apathy about all the parties.

Hey I will agree, many on this forum have plenty of things to disagree with the Conservatives on but why not focus on reality and not misrepresentation.

E.G. tax credit vs. direct child care, Transfer funding increase or directed health funding, tax cuts vs. business subsidy.

All good things we can really sink our teeth into and valid reasons to support or not support a party.

The misrepresentation is vexing.

True there are inaccuracies, but that's a far cry from being subliminal. EVERY party is guilty of misrepresenting their political opponents. It only takes a few minutes of googling to find THAT out. :)

This thread started out by falsely accusing one party of using subliminal messages, and I responded to disprove that half-baked theory. That's why I figured the thread was done with. :D