T.I. School Visit

Guest American Woman

Guest American Woman

Clifford "T.I." Harris spoke to kids at the Woodland Middle School in Henry County, Georgia on March 5. He's out of jail now, doing community service, and spoke to the kids about taking their education seriously and not bullying other kids. Having made mistakes himself, he was encouraging children to concentrate on doing their best and following their dreams. Sounds like a good message to me.

Some parents, however, weren't happy with the fact that he spoke to their kids. One parent sent the principal, Dr. Terry Oatts, an email asking that parents be able to put some input into whether or not a speaker is appropriate. Oatts responded with this email:

"I thought about asking a guy who snorted cocaine and got arrested for DUI when he was 30 to come and speak to our kids, but President George W. Bush was not available." link

Good response!

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman

Or the current President! :lol:

That could work too, especially since Obama didn't lie about his past; but more often it's the conservatives who have a problem with speakers such as T.I., so referring to Bush was making more of a point-- one that couldn't be as easily disregarded as mentioning another more liberal example could have been.

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman

It is the reformed criminals and addicts particularly who are potentially best able to reach the kids. Their experience is veracity unto itself.

I agree. And I applaud the principal for having the guts to respond the way he did.

Otherwise, we're stuck with slightly more sophisticated updates of Reefer Madness, "Just Say No," or "Hugs Not Drugs." Useless.

Exactly. There is no better way to get kids to listen than to have someone they respect and think is 'cool' talk to them.

I can't imagine "just say no" has ever prompted anyone to actually say no.