Aborignial challenges - social, political, and legal?

rad79

Question? What are some of the social, political, and legal challenges faced by Aboriginal communities in the past 30 or 40yrs? And, what kind of obstacles Aboriginal people, both individually and collectively, have faced as they have attempted to assert aspects of their aboriginal sovereignty and maintain their social and political autonomy?

Additionally, what are the legal social and political strategies Native ppls have employed as they attempted to resist impostions on their treaty-based aboriginal rights and assert their inherent rights associated with self-determination?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rad, and welcome to the Forum. Maybe you could give us some ideas of your own to start this thread? I'm not sure if you are trying to start dialogue, or looking for help for your term paper.

Well, I am looking for some help for a paper! So, if you know of any good sites or articles that would be cool. Also, some of your views on the question would be nice too, which could also help stir my neurons on the matter. This area is not my expertise so, would appreciate suggestions?

Here's a couple of websites to get you started. Good luck!

Extending Aboriginal Control Over Child Welfare Services

Centre of Excellence for Children's Well Being - Child Welfare

You could read through many threads here on this forum, but don't quote anyone in your paper, as it would not be considered a reliable source. Check the Maple Leaf Web main page, though, as there might be articles posted there that would be useful.

Edited by Melanie_

Question? What are some of the social, political, and legal challenges faced by Aboriginal communities in the past 30 or 40yrs? And, what kind of obstacles Aboriginal people, both individually and collectively, have faced as they have attempted to assert aspects of their aboriginal sovereignty and maintain their social and political autonomy?

Additionally, what are the legal social and political strategies Native ppls have employed as they attempted to resist impostions on their treaty-based aboriginal rights and assert their inherent rights associated with self-determination?

Here are some of my points:

• *For starters don't listen to a majority of posters in forums like this because in general they haven't got a clue
    *Aboriginals are practically legislated from birth until death in large part by the Indian Act/BNA Act (now Canadian Constitution that was written by non-aboriginals. A few weeks ago some poster on here were whining about a law against them for smoking cigarettes :rolleyes: What a moron
    *Aboriginals face a deluge of crap through propaganda that is often negative
    *The same propaganda somehow convinces the general public to believe that they've done aboriginal people one great big favour since they arrived in the boats from Europe
    *The same propaganda also leads the general public to believe that treaties roadblocks etc are all wrong when in reality in the very legal sense both levels of governments are squatters and the real law-breakers
    *Before you go into shock--it is simple--the earliest laws stated that treaties had to be signed unless the Europeans defeat in war, or sign a treaty--non of which has happened
    *In general there are racist and discriminatory actions from many non-aboriginals at the individual and institutional levels right throughout society. Sadly this is based on an education system that has created a great deal of ignorance that include politicians etc.
    *I can go on and on but this is a start :)

Guest TrueMetis

Don't listen to Griz, He try's to speak for the First Nations but just exposes himself as a fool.

Don't listen to Griz, He try's to speak for the First Nations but just exposes himself as a fool.

I dare you try and rebut the points I made. They are all true and as I said that was just a start. There is so much more but I am betting that you can't even start to answer back because it is all true ;):P

Social, political, and legal challenges in the past 30 or 40 years? Hmmmm.... since the late 60's then? Here are some off the top of my head:

Social challenges - reserves, alcoholism and drug use; migrations to urban areas without settled support structures; loss of traditional knowledge, language, culture and lands; residential schools; stereotyping & racial profiling

Political - Assembly of First Nations; unity of a national political 'voice; negative press regarding reserve issues; Meech Lake Accord; Charter of Rights interpretations esp section 25; band councils versus traditional political organization;

Legal - land claims; interpretation of treaties and Indian Act; Delgamuukw versus the Queen; Jay Treaty and border definitions; tax exemption status;

Obstacles - if you research any of the above, the roadblocks will become pretty clear, however, and briefly: colonialism, eurocentrism, nationalism. Even though these attitudes are on the wane, they still have widespread affect as the chief obstacles

Legal social and political strategies - post-secondary education esp in the legal field; court challenges to land claims and traditional laws; re-learning of traditions, re-birth of community as a centre of the nation; activism and information sharing; leadership in environmental issues

Really, you have asked quite a bit. If you are doing an in-depth paper I would suggest you head to the library and start on your bibliography. If this is a first year paper, the stuff above should give you a good enough start. Google the concepts and there are tons of sources on those limited topics alone. If you need something more specific let us know.

Creating a thread on such a wide topical area is not very productive. I suggest that once you have some research, pick something specific and start a topic on that issue.

Edited by Shwa

One important thing you should keep in mind is that there is no ONE specific group called the "aboriginal people". There are hundreds of individual tribes, each with their own history and political goals, each having had differing amounts of success or failure, having applied different methods towards achieving them.

So you can't lump a tribe in British Columbia in with Six Nations of Caledonia. It wasn't the Tlingit who protested at Oka in Quebec.

There is much commonality, of course. You are going to have to do a great deal of research to get a proper perspective. They are all different peoples. Some may have issues that you would agree with while others may have claims that appear greedy or frivolous. Some may seem very law abiding and others may protest in ways that make them look like simple thugs.

My point is that you must resist the temptation to paint them all with the same brush. This would be the very definition of racism.

One obvious commonality would be how they all are governed by the Indian Act. As you investigate you will probably quickly see that this Act has serious flaws and has often not been a positive force towards Native Peoples. However, it would be wrong to cherry pick the flaws. I would suggest that it's biggest flaw is how it denies Natives the same right to property as other Canadians. This means that no bank manager in his right mind would give someone on a reserve a mortgage or a loan. There's no collateral if they default. So how can a Native get startup capital for a business? They are left with only some government programs and who would expect them to work any better than any other government programs, i.e. very poorly and inefficiently.

That's just my opinion, of course. I've heard an argument that natives prefer to deal with property on a tribal basis, for cultural reasons. Maybe that's true, I can't say. Still, I doubt if anyone has ever properly asked any band their preference and allowed any changes.

You've got quite an ambitious project on your hands! Keep us posted!

One important thing you should keep in mind is that there is no ONE specific group called the "aboriginal people". There are hundreds of individual tribes, each with their own history and political goals, each having had differing amounts of success or failure, having applied different methods towards achieving them.

So you can't lump a tribe in British Columbia in with Six Nations of Caledonia. It wasn't the Tlingit who protested at Oka in Quebec.

There is much commonality, of course. You are going to have to do a great deal of research to get a proper perspective. They are all different peoples. Some may have issues that you would agree with while others may have claims that appear greedy or frivolous. Some may seem very law abiding and others may protest in ways that make them look like simple thugs.

My point is that you must resist the temptation to paint them all with the same brush. This would be the very definition of racism.

One obvious commonality would be how they all are governed by the Indian Act. As you investigate you will probably quickly see that this Act has serious flaws and has often not been a positive force towards Native Peoples. However, it would be wrong to cherry pick the flaws. I would suggest that it's biggest flaw is how it denies Natives the same right to property as other Canadians. This means that no bank manager in his right mind would give someone on a reserve a mortgage or a loan. There's no collateral if they default. So how can a Native get startup capital for a business? They are left with only some government programs and who would expect them to work any better than any other government programs, i.e. very poorly and inefficiently.

That's just my opinion, of course. I've heard an argument that natives prefer to deal with property on a tribal basis, for cultural reasons. Maybe that's true, I can't say. Still, I doubt if anyone has ever properly asked any band their preference and allowed any changes.

You've got quite an ambitious project on your hands! Keep us posted!

Yeah, it seems quite ambitious, and creating a thread on such a wide topical is probably non-productive! And, I will be selecting a more specific topic. I was curious to hear ppls opinions on this, and hoped that maybe some would offer suggestions? Which you guys did, and thank you. But, if this thread is a waste for any of you, please just ignore it and go to the next thread!

He didn't comment on your points; he said you try to speak for all First Nations - which you do - and that you are a fool - which you are. Because you may have a fact or two right once in a while doesn't negate the overall effect.

A fact or two? Try all of them and you or the other wetbrain doorknobs, brainwashed arses can't even come close to answer :lol:

rad79 - Why don't you go against the left-wing grain of university and tell the truth about Aboriginal underperformance in Canada? Ask yourself why so many varying cultures from around the world have come to Canada and thrived, yet many aboriginals are underperformed - they are overrepresented in crime, poverty, alcoholism, drug abuse, and high-school drop out rates (and virtually everything else bad). Perhaps it because we have taken a ridiculous approach in Canada by giving them this semi-parallel system in which to live while bleeding our country out of countless dollars over many decades. Why are Aboriginals permitted to live on reserves? They should live like all other Canadians do throughout Canada. Why are they given strange privileges above other Canadians? The policies of treating Aboriginals as some sort of special people with special rights is the biggest contributing factor their destruction. They need to be pushed into mainstream Canada, into our schools, into our communities, into our politics and not forced to perpetually sit on the sidelines with their hands out leeching off the Canadian economy. This perpetual culture of victimization is the greatest tragedy of all - we keep spinning this myth that Aboriginals are disadvantages people who need more and more help. This breeds a culture of dependence and underperformance. Again, almost all other cultures have successfully integrated into Canada and thrived. Aboriginals can do the same. It's time for us to stop looking at them as some sort of charity case and let them into our country to really reach their potential. After so many decades, blaming the government or the "white man" or outside forces gets old. This country is abundant in opportunities - everybody's got a shot at success.

Challenge yourself to look for the truth.

Guest TrueMetis

rad79 - Why don't you go against the left-wing grain of university and tell the truth about Aboriginal underperformance in Canada? Ask yourself why so many varying cultures from around the world have come to Canada and thrived, yet many aboriginals are underperformed - they are overrepresented in crime, poverty, alcoholism, drug abuse, and high-school drop out rates (and virtually everything else bad).

Loss of culture, land, language, and virtually everything else a people use to define themselves, If you don't have an identity what are you left with but drugs and alchohol?

Perhaps it because we have taken a ridiculous approach in Canada by giving them this semi-parallel system in which to live while bleeding our country out of countless dollars over many decades. Why are Aboriginals permitted to live on reserves?

Permited? WTF? have you ever even seen a reserve? Those places are hell holes many of them don't even have clean drinking water.

They should live like all other Canadians do throughout Canada. Why are they given strange privileges above other Canadians? The policies of treating Aboriginals as some sort of special people with special rights is the biggest contributing factor their destruction.

Special rights as in go to the reserves, live in shit conditions, only got the right to vote in 1960, and residential schools operating until 1996. Those are som great rights.

They need to be pushed into mainstream Canada, into our schools, into our communities, into our politics and not forced to perpetually sit on the sidelines with their hands out leeching off the Canadian economy.

They tried this you dumb fuck it's what caused the problems to begin with.

This perpetual culture of victimization is the greatest tragedy of all - we keep spinning this myth that Aboriginals are disadvantages people who need more and more help.

Never heard this I have heard we've destroyed there culture and subjegated them for many years and they've ended up pretty fucked, so it's are duty to fix what we caused.

This breeds a culture of dependence and underperformance. Again, almost all other cultures have successfully integrated into Canada and thrived.

Many people disagree.

Aboriginals can do the same. It's time for us to stop looking at them as some sort of charity case and let them into our country to really reach their potential.

But they don't want to. Most of them want the oppurtunity to reclaim what is their's their heritage and their land.

After so many decades, blaming the government or the "white man" or outside forces gets old. This country is abundant in opportunities - everybody's got a shot at success.

Most of it is the governments fault, although some of it is the aboriginal people's fault. It's blamed on the white man because these were policies introduced by white men from english society at the time one of the most racist in the world.

Challenge yourself to look for the truth.

Something you ignore.

Edited by TrueMetis

I never said the reserves would a great place to live. But since when in anyone OWED a quality life? Like all other Canadians, Aboriginals must earn their keep. If not, they're welcome to go to their local homeless shelters. This babysitting of the Aboriginals is what's contributing to their hardship. As long as they depend on someone else to take care of them, believing the lies that they are victims and thinking of themselves as less capable, they will continue to underperform. Don't think I haven't noticed that you've ignored the point that countless other cultures have come to Canada and integrated and thrived within the Canadian fabric. Cultural preservation of minorities isn't the responsibility of the government, and Aboriginals are entirely free to educate themselves on their own culture(s) and practise those aspects of their culture(s) that are compatible with Canadian laws and values.

It is clear that perspectives like yours, TrueMetis, are largely responsible for the hardships that are experienced by the Aboriginals of Canada. I know you cannot realize it, but the perspectives that you espouse on this issue are the greatest threat to Aboriginals in Canada. Your perspectives and policies formed from such absurd views perpetuate these problems.

I support Aboriginal integration into mainstream Canada. Abolish the reserves. Abolish all laws that treat Aboriginals differently from other Canadians. Get them off this social life-support system that perpetuates their hardships. You, on the other hand, support more victimization policies. More money, more bureaucracy, more dependence.

Teach a man to fish or give a man a fish, at its most basic level.

Lastly, Aboriginals have never been pushed into mainstream Canadian society. They're always been segregated (a policy you support) and kept apart from all other Canadians under the guise of them "preserving their culture". We all know that culture can be preserved in Canada. What culture on the reservations is worth maintaining? Drug abuse? Alcoholism? Crime? Poor education? Unemployment? Hopelessness? Canada is a land of opportunity, and we need to open the door to these opportunities to all Canadians, including Aboriginals. We need to shut down the reserves and reserve all segregationist laws. When they integrate, as all other cultures have in Canada, they will thrive.

One last point, you can't seriously think that Aboriginals have any possibility of "reclaiming their land", do you? I mean, that is BEYOND absurd.

I'll close by saying I have little intention of carrying on this discussion with an extremist such as yourself. It's not like I'm going to learn anything from you. You are, whether you realize it or no, the enemy of the Aboriginals. if you had your way the same cycle of underperformance among Aboriginals would continue, with you blaming the white man and the Canadian government.

rad79 - Do the right thing and tell the truth. Or, drop all of your integrity and perpetuate the lie that Aboriginals simply don't have the tools to succeed in Canada. Perpetuate the lie that is unending victimization and reject the concept of self-reliance and self-responsibility.

I don't think this is my own opinion type paper, so I think throwing my 2 cents is irrelevant to this essay? The main thing is the aboriginal culture existed here in north america. And, then Euro-white settlers came and as time went on aboriginal communities were segragated by the establishment of the Indian Act and other policies introduced. Where it isolated Natives from other Canadian citizens by placing them on reserves. Also, a lot of Aboriginal culture identity was tide to the lands and resources they lived on, and then they were removed from them. Also, others that didnt sigh the act were ignored or removed just the same.

Loss of culture, land, language, and virtually everything else a people use to define themselves, If you don't have an identity what are you left with but drugs and alchohol?

Permited? WTF? have you ever even seen a reserve? Those places are hell holes many of them don't even have clean drinking water.

Special rights as in go to the reserves, live in shit conditions, only got the right to vote in 1960, and residential schools operating until 1996. Those are som great rights.

They tried this you dumb fuck it's what caused the problems to begin with.

Never heard this I have heard we've destroyed there culture and subjegated them for many years and they've ended up pretty fucked, so it's are duty to fix what we caused.

Many people disagree.

But they don't want to. Most of them want the oppurtunity to reclaim what is their's their heritage and their land.

Most of it is the governments fault, although some of it is the aboriginal people's fault. It's blamed on the white man because these were policies introduced by white men from english society at the time one of the most racist in the world.

Something you ignore.

There is still a lot of beautiful land in Canada for them to be able to practise their culture, to some degree. As I said earlier, their rights to practise their culture doesn't trump Canadian law. So within the bounds of the law, they can practise their culture freely. We have SO many naturally beautiful places (tons of national parks, for example) in Canada where they can practise many of their cultural traditions if they so desire. None of this overrides my main argument - that integration will benefit everyone. They will upgrade themselves by taking advantage of all Canada has to offer, and Canada will benefit by integrating a group of people who have so much to offer and contribute. Win win win. Of course, extremists on the left would prefer to perpetuate the status quo, the only difference being allowing the current system to bleed even more money from the Canadian economy to perpetuate the victimhood of Aboriginals.

Guest TrueMetis

I never said the reserves would a great place to live. But since when in anyone OWED a quality life? Like all other Canadians, Aboriginals must earn their keep. If not, they're welcome to go to their local homeless shelters. This babysitting of the Aboriginals is what's contributing to their hardship. As long as they depend on someone else to take care of them, believing the lies that they are victims and thinking of themselves as less capable, they will continue to underperform. Don't think I haven't noticed that you've ignored the point that countless other cultures have come to Canada and integrated and thrived within the Canadian fabric. Cultural preservation of minorities isn't the responsibility of the government, and Aboriginals are entirely free to educate themselves on their own culture(s) and practise those aspects of their culture(s) that are compatible with Canadian laws and values.

You said they were "permited" to live on the reserves like it was a nice thing to do. People are not owed a quality life but they are owed basic things like clean water.

They were here first why should they be forced to integrate into our culture?

It is clear that perspectives like yours, TrueMetis, are largely responsible for the hardships that are experienced by the Aboriginals of Canada. I know you cannot realize it, but the perspectives that you espouse on this issue are the greatest threat to Aboriginals in Canada. Your perspectives and policies formed from such absurd views perpetuate these problems.

We are just starting to use my POV for working with the First Nations and things are starting to get better for them. It you POV that lead to their situation in the first place

I support Aboriginal integration into mainstream Canada. Abolish the reserves. Abolish all laws that treat Aboriginals differently from other Canadians. Get them off this social life-support system that perpetuates their hardships. You, on the other hand, support more victimization policies. More money, more bureaucracy, more dependence.

No I support self government and allowing them to reclaim there culture, once again integration was what caused the First nations Situation in the first place.

They new how to fish fine but then there equipment was taken away and people like you started bitching that they can't take care of themselves.

Lastly, Aboriginals have never been pushed into mainstream Canadian society. They're always been segregated (a policy you support) and kept apart from all other Canadians under the guise of them "preserving their culture". We all know that culture can be preserved in Canada. What culture on the reservations is worth maintaining? Drug abuse? Alcoholism? Crime? Poor education? Unemployment? Hopelessness? Canada is a land of opportunity, and we need to open the door to these opportunities to all Canadians, including Aboriginals. We need to shut down the reserves and reserve all segregationist laws. When they integrate, as all other cultures have in Canada, they will thrive.

First they were pushed into "mainstream Canadian society" (whatever the hell that is) during the time of the residential schools, which ended just over a decade ago. Second that is not their culture that is what happened when they culture was stripped from them. Third once again integration is what caused these problems.

One last point, you can't seriously think that Aboriginals have any possibility of "reclaiming their land", do you? I mean, that is BEYOND absurd.

The Queen of Canada signed treaties giving First Nations any unceded land and there's a lot of it. Are you really just going to allow the government to break it's own laws?

I'll close by saying I have little intention of carrying on this discussion with an extremist such as yourself. It's not like I'm going to learn anything from you. You are, whether you realize it or no, the enemy of the Aboriginals. if you had your way the same cycle of underperformance among Aboriginals would continue, with you blaming the white man and the Canadian government.

Extemist :lol: Am I an extremist because I'm willing to give the First Nations what they want and what they are legally owed? I don't blame the white man that would be the same as blaming myself, but most of the blame does go onto the Government for the policies that lead to this. As well as some blame that lies at the feet of the First Nations themselves for not fighting back harder.

rad79 - Do the right thing and tell the truth. Or, drop all of your integrity and perpetuate the lie that Aboriginals simply don't have the tools to succeed in Canada. Perpetuate the lie that is unending victimization and reject the concept of self-reliance and self-responsibility.

rad79 you might be better avoiding this site, on the one hand you have fools like griz who put the blame soley on the Government and europeans and on the other you have morons like Gabriel who want to repeat the mistakes of the past, better to find a less biased site.

I don't care who was here first. They need to integrate. Stop suggesting insane ideas like they live in some sort of internal parallel state within Canada. You want to segregate, I want to integrate. There is nothing wrong with Canadian culture, we have a fantastic standard of living, countless amazing cultures living in harmony (for the most part), top-quality education, maximum freedoms on all dimensions... what's not to like? Aboriginals WANT to integrate, it is the segregation that you support that perpetuates these problems. You support an apartheid, at the Canadian taxpayer's expense, of course. Allow them to participate in the political process like all other cultures do.

INTEGRATION WAS NEVER A POLICY OF THE CANADIAN GOVERNMENT! Stop fucking lying about that. Since day one Aboriginals have been kept OUT of mainstream Canada. I agree with you on one thing - the Canadian government is largely to blame. Establishing policies that recognize special status and privileges for Aboriginals were critical mistakes. From these massive errors came the rest of the disastrous policies that perpetuated the problem, giving endless handouts to Aboriginals and treating them differently - teaching them that they are incapable of integration (an opinion you share) and that they will eternally be dependent on the Canadian government.

Whatever laws or treaties were signed many years ago were massive errors. They have contributed to our current problem. As long as we legally treat Aboriginals as some special group that depends on handouts, we will perpetuate their underperformance in Canada. I want them to integrate into Canadian society and fulfil their potential and enjoy the life and freedoms and lifestyles that so many of us Canadians are blessed to have access to.

And yes, you are absolutely an extremist.

Edited by Gabriel

Everyone has good points, whether you all would agree with each other or not. Again, this is just a research paper, that is asking me to state some of the major info about aboriginal resistance and self-determination in the last 40 years in Canada. Unfortunetly, this is not an integrity type of paper. I agree that to a degree Aboriginals do not have the tools to succeed, but is that b/c how they have been assimilated over the last 100 years. Is it because their cultural and spiritual traditions were altered so much when European settlers came over here? And, that forcing their culture and values on Aboriginal societies, the taking and altering of aboriginal lands, and the administration of an alien system of governance does not work for them? That somewhere in there is so much learned helplessness from having thier rights and values ignored - this has effected them so much till this day they still are having problems functioning? I am unsure of this, and to be honest i am far from knowing enough to make a concise judgement.

Everyone has good points, whether you all would agree with each other or not. Again, this is just a research paper, that is asking me to state some of the major info about aboriginal resistance and self-determination in the last 40 years in Canada. Unfortunetly, this is not an integrity type of paper. I agree that to a degree Aboriginals do not have the tools to succeed, but is that b/c how they have been assimilated over the last 100 years. Is it because their cultural and spiritual traditions were altered so much when European settlers came over here? And, that forcing their culture and values on Aboriginal societies, the taking and altering of aboriginal lands, and the administration of an alien system of governance does not work for them? That somewhere in there is so much learned helplessness from having thier rights and values ignored - this has effected them so much till this day they still are having problems functioning? I am unsure of this, and to be honest i am far from knowing enough to make a concise judgement.

I can tell you're incapable of understanding the real problems at hand. Good luck with your paper.

Guest TrueMetis

I don't care who was here first. They need to integrate. Stop suggesting insane ideas like they live in some sort of internal parallel state within Canada. You want to segregate, I want to integrate. There is nothing wrong with Canadian culture, we have a fantastic standard of living, countless amazing cultures living in harmony (for the most part), top-quality education, maximum freedoms on all dimensions... what's not to like? Aboriginals WANT to integrate, it is the segregation that you support that perpetuates these problems. You support an apartheid, at the Canadian taxpayer's expense, of course. Allow them to participate in the political process like all other cultures do.

Integration was tried it did not work.

If First Nations want to integrate why are they trying to get self government?

INTEGRATION WAS NEVER A POLICY OF THE CANADIAN GOVERNMENT! Stop fucking lying about that. Since day one Aboriginals have been kept OUT of mainstream Canada. I agree with you on one thing - the Canadian government is largely to blame. Establishing policies that recognize special status and privileges for Aboriginals were critical mistakes. From these massive errors came the rest of the disastrous policies that perpetuated the problem, giving endless handouts to Aboriginals and treating them differently - teaching them that they are incapable of integration (an opinion you share) and that they will eternally be dependent on the Canadian government.

Then what were the residential schools? They were created to force integration. They aren't incapable of itegration they don't want to integrate just like I couldn't itegrate into Afhgani culture because I wouldn't want to. And once again they are trying to obtain self government so they will be independant.

Whatever laws or treaties were signed many years ago were massive errors. They have contributed to our current problem. As long as we legally treat Aboriginals as some special group that depends on handouts, we will perpetuate their underperformance in Canada. I want them to integrate into Canadian society and fulfil their potential and enjoy the life and freedoms and lifestyles that so many of us Canadians are blessed to have access to.

Massive errors? So you would have prefered the land to have just been taken and anyone who resisted killed? that would cause more prolems becuase than ALL of Canada would belong to the First Nations. You really don't understand how the law works do you? They don't want to integrate stop deluding yourself.

And yes, you are absolutely an extremist.

Yet I'm the one who wants the law to be obeyed.