Election 2009

The difference today is that the Liberals will not lose support during the campaign. There is no Dion and no Greenshift.

Maybe I have no idea what will happen during an election. I find Ignatieff to be untested and have no idea he could blow me and everyone out of the water or he could fall on his face. Talk about wild card.

A couple of percentage points makes all the difference. The Liberals will pick up seats in double digit numbers, and they know that.

Really they know that so it isn't about what is right for Canada, it is about the liberals seat count. I thought so. Elections are fluid things as well, so the liberal party might not pick up those seats all it takes is one gaff as the conservatives found out in quebec. At this poit there is no good reason for Canadians to go back to the polls this year.

And that's different than any political party how?

The NDP has cut deals with the Liberals in the past for the betterment of Canada as opposed to an election. Not toppling the Liberals when the promised Medicare comes to mind, or not Toppling when they promised to create CPP, or Jacks budget with Martin.

According to La Presse:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/090818/cana...rties_elections

Certainly it looks like all the parties want an election since none seems willing to work together in a minority government. The NDP and Bloc are itching to go and the Tories themselves look like they might consider a snap election rather than losing on a confidence vote.

As for Liberals and Ignatieff, it is probably untenable to support the Tory government and risk falling into a repeated situation that Dion faced. I don't think the Liberals want the Tories to call an election after the Olympics or the G8 meeting.

Ignatieff really has little or no choice but to call an election - or he will miss whatver opportunity he might have. The economy is recovering, the Olympics are around the corner, and Mr. Harper is really looking good on the world stage. Mr. Ignatieff is growing old - he has to pull the trigger or he'll fade into oblivion. The Conservatives will NOT trigger an election - the longer they govern as times get better, the better off they'll be when their term is finally over. The Liberals are between a rock and a hard place. I think you'll find Mr. Harper playing more of a role of cooperative statesman - he knows that the Liberals have to go on the attack and as he's done many times before, he will confound the critics - this time by playing nice and making the Liberals look like power-hungry demagogues - which of course is exactly what they are at this point in their history.

Ignatieff really has little or no choice but to call an election - or he will miss whatver opportunity he might have. The economy is recovering, the Olympics are around the corner, and Mr. Harper is really looking good on the world stage. Mr. Ignatieff is growing old - he has to pull the trigger or he'll fade into oblivion. The Conservatives will NOT trigger an election - the longer they govern as times get better, the better off they'll be when their term is finally over. The Liberals are between a rock and a hard place. I think you'll find Mr. Harper playing more of a role of cooperative statesman - he knows that the Liberals have to go on the attack and as he's done many times before, he will confound the critics - this time by playing nice and making the Liberals look like power-hungry demagogues - which of course is exactly what they are at this point in their history.

I think you are misreading the situation dude.

The way I see it, the Conservatives want to hold onto power and everyone else wants to get it. You can change the names but the song remains the same. There is no great ideological gambit at stake here. There is no call or reason for anything aside from the quest for power, in this nation there usually isn't. Of course we have had some issues in the past worthy of seeking a public mandate for, its just that they are indeed few and far between.

Iggy needs to seek an issue that will ignite a fire in the belly of the citizens. That is not to say that Harper doesn't need to do the same thing, its just that Harper can only claim to maintain an even strain because that is the ideology of the conservative movement. That simply doesn't apply to the other political parties. I am of course concluding that the reason for seeking office for Iggy was to enact change, if that wasn't the goal then he is in the wrong party.

It doesn't matter what Harper does on the world front. It doesn't seem to budge him in the polls. And his problem is that he often attacks Liberals when he is on a world stage which blunts any good will people might have for his performance.

Harper doesn't want to lose on a confidence vote. I see him looking to pull the plug before that happens. He will try to point fingers that the Liberals are to blame for an election but then at the same time scream coward and then saying they won't compromise and then stick in poison in various bills.

The Tories are hungry to hold on to power and they are not very cooperative about the fact they have a minority.

If there is an election and the Liberals perform better and the Tories lose seats, I don't see Harper continuing to the next election. You might think he will get opportunity again but a leadership review is automatic after an election for the Tories and I don' think he could survive a membership vote.

Ignatieff just has to put the Liberals within striking distance of governing. Layton, Duceppe and Harper are the old hands at the table.

Harper doesn't want to lose on a confidence vote. I see him looking to pull the plug before that happens. He will try to point fingers that the Liberals are to blame for an election but then at the same time scream coward and then saying they won't compromise and then stick in poison in various bills.

If there is an election and the Liberals perform better and the Tories lose seats, I don't see Harper continuing to the next election. You might think he will get opportunity again but a leadership review is automatic after an election for the Tories and I don' think he could survive a membership vote.

If these prophecies are like any of your others, the Tories have nothing to fear.

If these prophecies are like any of your others, the Tories have nothing to fear.

I said all along the last time that Harper would call the last election and was told that was impossible. He would have won big had he not so completely misread Quebec.

I am always right. Bow before me.

Edited by jdobbin

I'm in complete agreement with you on the fact that the fall is the Liberals final opportunity to call an election for all the reasons you stated. However on the Mr. Harper front I have to disagree. I honestly don't think it is within Harper's power to "play nice" as he has proven time and time again since he took office. Given that he is in all technicality a rather weak position in terms of seat count he has proved surprisingly resilient and has managed to maintain power in spite of many gaffes on his and the CPC's part. He has done so through various political maneuver’s that you may or may not admire. At the heart of it all Harper is a rabid ideologue; a politically savvy and astute individual he maybe but a pragmatist he certainly is not.

I'm in complete agreement with you on the fact that the fall is the Liberals final opportunity to call an election for all the reasons you stated. However on the Mr. Harper front I have to disagree. I honestly don't think it is within Harper's power to "play nice" as he has proven time and time again since he took office. Given that he is in all technicality a rather weak position in terms of seat count he has proved surprisingly resilient and has managed to maintain power in spite of many gaffes on his and the CPC's part. He has done so through various political maneuver’s that you may or may not admire. At the heart of it all Harper is a rabid ideologue; a politically savvy and astute individual he maybe but a pragmatist he certainly is not.

You're absolutely right.....but I just get this feeling that he's going to surprise us - and the opposition - once again. I know it's out of character but he's still fairly young at 50 and he's maturing as a politician and I think to some degree as a person. I'm thinking that he recognizes that any chance at a majority - slim at best - has to involve pulling a few more women over to his side. That will involve being less confrontational. In doing so, he won't lose any current supporters because they know he can be an alley-cat when required. He only needs about 2 or 3 percent more votes than he got the last time. I think Women voters are the key. Who knows, we might even see Laureen do a few interviews. Out of character for Mr. Harper but not out of the realm of possibility.

One of the things missing from normal pre election buzz for a fall election is....

THE PRE ELECTION BUZZ.

Where are all the usual suspects... On holidays? Where are the Partisan CPC posters who appear in droves just before a potential fall of government. Where are the extra LPC supporters that show up testing the waters for an election call.

This is one of the few elements missing that usually occurs when an election is on the horizon.

As of recent, just a few of the regular posters have been holding the fort, around here.

I'd hate to have to say something radical to get things going... but even then, there needs to be an audience.

While I can see the LPC constantly calling for an election and continuing in their support of the government, the LPC have managed to fundraise and put Candidates in place ready for a snap election.

Just is anyone else ready? Supporters, volunteers or the general public.

If not, I hope more of the MLW regulars get back from their holidays... Lets have some fun.

Election Date November 9th... NOT.