Tax rates on track to soar

"I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated Governments in the civilized world, no longer a Government by free opinion, no longer a Government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a Government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men."

Woodrow wilson

Ahhhhhh the banker is evil arguement. You would fit in quit well with the Social Credit/Reform parties. I don't think a central bank bad it isn't like we can go back to a gold standard now.

Tax rates don't need to soar. Because spending on education and healthcare isn't the problem. America already spends more per student, than any other country in the world. And America already spends more per patient, than any other country in the world. The problem is with the programs themselves. Unfortunately, teacher's unions and trial lawyers won't allow for real reform of these broken programs.

Tax rates don't need to soar. Because spending on education and healthcare isn't the problem. America already spends more per student, than any other country in the world. And America already spends more per patient, than any other country in the world. The problem is with the programs themselves. Unfortunately, teacher's unions and trial lawyers won't allow for real reform of these broken programs.

Yah the problem is the teachers are getting paid too much. Great arguement. The largest costs are those students with disabilities and that has nothing to do with teacher unions. As for Health care they are trying to reform it, blue dogs are getting in the way.

PS America isn't even in the top 5 and it is arguable they are in the top 10 for per student spending.

Edited by punked

Ok we can agree all things are great in moderation.

Now what education and health programs (your words not mine) do you want to get rid of?

Actually I'm mostly ok with education and health programs. It's when it comes to things like welfare and social housing that our policies could use some re-examination. Maybe it's because I live in Vancouver, where the only thing our local government ever talks about is how to spend ever more money on social housing and how to ruin ever more neighborhoods by housing drug addicts there.

Actually I'm mostly ok with education and health programs. It's when it comes to things like welfare and social housing that our policies could use some re-examination. Maybe it's because I live in Vancouver, where the only thing our local government ever talks about is how to spend ever more money on social housing and how to ruin ever more neighborhoods by housing drug addicts there.

Ok well at least we can meet in the middle. I think people should work too, God never helped those who don't help themselves. At the same time I think their needs to be social safety nets for those who fall on hard times and help them with opportunities for them to help themselves.

Yah the problem is the teachers are getting paid too much. Great arguement.

That was never my argument. That was your strawman argument. I don't think teacher's are getting paid too much. I certainly didn't say that, and I haven't seen anybody else say that either.

The largest costs are those students with disabilities

That's complete nonsense.

PS America isn't even in the top 5 and it is arguable they are in the top 10 for per student spending.

That's also complete nonsense.

Funding

[edit] Funding for K-12 schools

According to a 2005 report from the OECD, the United States is tied for first place with Switzerland when it comes to annual spending per student on its public schools, with each of those two countries spending more than $11,000 (in U.S. currency). [61] Despite this high level of funding, according to the OECD, U.S. public schools lag behind the schools of other developed countries in the areas of reading, math, and science.

Wikipedia

Taxes don't need to be higher, programs need to be better. Again, unfortunately, teacher's unions, trial lawyers, and bureaucracies won't let real reform take place.

That was never my argument. That was your strawman argument. I don't think teacher's are getting paid too much. I certainly didn't say that, and I haven't seen anybody else say that either.

So why is the Union bad then? What have they done in the education system that has causes such a problem?

That's complete nonsense.

Individuals with Disabilities Education Act made it so no school district could discriminate or not educate a student with a Disability. This lead to the hiring of many many teaching aids, therapist, and if a student could not be educated at that school the school must pay to send that student to some school where they can be educated. Ask yourself why teachers don't even make up half of all school staffs Shady? The reason it cost so much is that in the US they believe all students can and should learn.

That's also complete nonsense.

Funding

[edit] Funding for K-12 schools

According to a 2005 report from the OECD, the United States is tied for first place with Switzerland when it comes to annual spending per student on its public schools, with each of those two countries spending more than $11,000 (in U.S. currency). [61] Despite this high level of funding, according to the OECD, U.S. public schools lag behind the schools of other developed countries in the areas of reading, math, and science.

Wikipedia

Taxes don't need to be higher, programs need to be better. Again, unfortunately, teacher's unions, trial lawyers, and bureaucracies won't let real reform take place.

Take students with Disabilities out of the equation and that number falls drastically. Also if you look at the number as % of GDP the US finds it hard to even make it to the top 50. Yah they might spend a lot but if the best can teach in Austria and earn a lot of money, or the US they can become stock brokers. See what I am saying?