A taboo subject in Canada!

I cannot watch Question Period. I am appalled by the behaviour of our elected officals. Is it time to do away with immunity for them? I suggest that they be held responsible for what they say and how they say it. I know people that take what they hear as truth, when in fact, you or I could be liable for libel charges, if we say the same thing in the real world. Would it help if we took away the tv cameras?

We elect and pay our parliamentarians to govern, not to play kindergarten games at our expense. Where has honesty and integrity gone? It's time to bring it back.

August1991

I don't like the behaviour of most of them (I vote for one, not the many that I see act worse than my children would ever be allowed to). They are not honest; they distort the truth purposefully. If you like that type of infantile behaviour great - most people don't.

The parliamentary system is adversarial by nature, and partisan. I have always enjoyed Question Period. The Americans have nothing like it (imagine Bush facing such, or Nixon during Watergate).

In Canada, we have desks and it seems to me the British benches are better.

If you like that type of infantile behaviour great - most people don't.

Are you suggesting we don't live in a democracy?

I vote for one, not the many that I see act worse than my children would ever be allowed to

Are you suggesting that other Canadians vote foolishly?

I think we get the politicians we elect.

August1991

I actually have never seen my MP speak in Question Period. And I don't mind that as nothing ever gets solved there - it's just a bunch of accusations, slurs, innuendos, misinterpretations, etc. flying around. I'd rather him not get in the fray and look like an horses arse.

Having said that, our question period does not make this country a democracy. It would still be a democracy with MPs showing respect and honesty.

Our PM and other parliamentarians face questions from the media unlike those in the US. You are right. Bush couldn't handle what our PM handles on a daily basis. Even for Bush's scheduled press conferences, apparently the questions have to be submitted beforehand and approved to be asked. I like our system better.

One thing Chrétien could do and do well is handle spur of the moment questions and criticism. He was quick on his feet. Martin is not nearly so.

P.S. Our Parliament is adversarial because of so many lawyers being elected. That's lawyer's nature, not necessarily MP's nature. Parliament doesn't have to be adversarial - it just gets better press for the brain dead, WWF type masses.

Parliament doesn't have to be adversarial - it just gets better press for the brain dead, WWF type masses.

What kind of remark is that? "Brain dead WWF type masses"? Is that what you think of your fellow Canadians? What gives you the right to judge other people in such a way?

If Parliament was NOT adversarial, I'd be suspicious. Dictatorial governments are quiet and "organized".

If Parliament was NOT adversarial, I'd be suspicious. Dictatorial governments are quiet and "organized".

Personally I'd be far more likely to watch it if our parliamentarians debated like scientists, bringing out valid points and debating them on their merits.

At least then watching would be a bit of mind expansion and not just bubblegum. What good can it really serve for one member to state that Canada is whoring away its environmental rights to the detriment of Canada's future, and for another member to exclaim well your mothers a whore and I've never complained! .. somehow.. it just don't seem the kind of debating that is worth watching.

We would get more for our money if they would respect each other and listen to the speaker reguardless of what party and take the best ideas from all who speak.

There should be fines in place for those who choose not to listen !

If they would debate in a respectful manner , maybe we would have a country to be proud of.

It would be a fine example to our children and grandchildren.

Also a fine example to the rest of this world.

Its amazing what comes from young children , maybe we can all learn from them. :)