Racism in the Hamilton Spectator?

Times change and so do official reactions to protests, big and small. Police presence remains an important element of protest, primarily, it seems, to clear the way for the protesters. And that has set the precedent for minority groups with gripes to make life difficult for the rest of us.

read the rest here ...

My Letter to the Editor of the Hamilton Spectator:

Ms. Prokaska's point seems to be that "police forces ... don't want to be accused of racism" so they use a "conciliatory approach" to protests, an approach that Ms. Prokaska disagrees with. She wonders "why aren't arrests made"?

I ask Ms. Prokaska:

Why weren't arrests made when the tobacco farmers protested with a slow rolling convoy and illegally gave away their tobacco?

Why weren't arrests made when (now MP) Randy Hillier and other farmers protested with a slow rolling convoy down the 401, into Toronto, and around and around Queen's Park?

Why weren't arrests made when truckers protested with a slow rolling convoy on the 401?

Ms. Prokaska makes it an issue of race, and the Spectator Editorial Board apparently agrees, since she speaks for them.

But it isn't about "minority groups". It is about the right of protest in a free country. The police, whose responsibility it is first and foremost to uphold the Constitution of Canada, negotiate and patrol to ensure public safety.

Ms. Prokaska, and Spectator Editorial Board that allowed this racist rant to be printed in their name, have become so complacent in their racism, they now don't even bother to disguise it.

Hamiltonians deserve better than to be delivered constant thinly veiled racism for breakfast.

A complaint has been sent to the Ontario Press Council, and I invite other readers to join me in standing up against racism in the Hamilton Spectator by contacting:

THE ONTARIO PRESS COUNCIL

2 Carlton Street, Suite 1706,

Toronto, Ontario

M5B 1J3

Telephone: (416) 340-1981

FAX: (416) 340-8724

E-mail: [email protected]

Since I have sent a complaint to the Ontario Press Council, the Spectator refuses to respond to my letter.

Let's see if they have the guts to print it! <_<

... to be continued ...

Saying that illegal protests that annoy and delay people are annoying and make life difficult for people is racism now?

The primary responsibility of the police is to maintain public safety and order, not to uphold your interpretation of the constitution. Protest is allowed so long as it does not break the law. They can march along sidewalks, squares, parks, public gathering places, etc. Protests that violate the law should be controlled and dispersed by the police. This should be equally true whether it is natives, Tamils, farmers, or truck drivers.

Saying that illegal protests that annoy and delay people are annoying and make life difficult for people is racism now?

Protests that violate the law should be controlled and dispersed by the police. This should be equally true whether it is natives, Tamils, farmers, or truck drivers.

That's exactly my point. Race shouldn't matter. However, the Spec editorial makes it an issue. Read it again:

Times change and so do official reactions to protests, big and small. Police presence remains an important element of protest, primarily, it seems, to clear the way for the protesters. And that has set the precedent for minority groups with gripes to make life difficult for the rest of us.

You see? The Spec does not complain about (white) farmers, truckers, etc; They only complain about "minority groups" - Mohawks and Tamils, to be exact.

In fact, the Spec wrote this story about the tobacco farmers protest, with no editorial complaints about them tying up traffic, nor about their illegal giveaway of tobacco. Nor did they write an editorial called "Protests lack consequences" and demand that the protesters be arrested.

One is left to wonder ... What if the tobacco protest convoy had been going the other way? What if a Six Nations convoy had gone to Delhi to pick up the free tobacco? Would the Spectator editorial board complain about that? Food for thought!

You see? The Spec does not complain about (white) farmers, truckers, etc; They only complain about "minority groups" - Mohawks and Tamils, to be exact.

If this is true, the editorial position of the Spectator has changed since I last was a regular subscriber. Aren't they still owned by Torstar? That was one of my reasons for cancelling my subscription (besides access to better information on the internet). I couldn't stand reading all of the same stories in the Spec that were in the Toronto Star.

The protest groups have to learn to walk a line between getting attention for a cause and turning people who are inconvenienced into enemies. I know the Six Nations couldn't get a byline in any newspaper until they started the blockade in Caledonia, but the way they handled the situation (especially the anarchy created between band council leaders and Warrior Society terrorists) has turned most of the people living near or around the Grand River into enemies.

That's exactly my point. Race shouldn't matter. However, the Spec editorial makes it an issue. Read it again:

Perhaps there was a difference in the level of disruption, severity of protests, or frequency of protests that aggravated people more severely in the above-mentioned Mohawk and Tamil protests than when the farmers or truckers protested?

And anyway the point of the editorial is exactly that, they race shouldn't matter. They allege that police deal more softly with protests by racial minority groups than they do other protests. That is racial discrimination as well, just in the other direction, which should be equally unlawful and frowned upon in our society, but sadly is not. Whether the allegations are correct or not, I can't say, as I don't know enough about these specific events, but it is a valid issue to discuss.

Again, the mere mention of a minority does not make something racism or discrimination.

EVERY LAST HUMAN BEING - is there own personal minority - and a total singularity ---when they group together - and say we are all one that is called conspiracy - let them conspire else where..tired of putting up with those that do not seek atonomy or respect but have the long term goal of taking a dominant position - IF so-calle minorities had their way they would be called the elite - so such groups must be kept in check ---It's fine to be an elitist as an individual...but as a group it's abusive - stand tall and be your own minority.....BUT don't create little gangs..pesky creepers that seek not equality but superiourity - There is not one single group that we refere to as a minority - not one special interest group that does not seek to domimate...If you can not be dominant on your own - then you do not diserve to take a postion of authority though conspiracy. That makes you an insective bully.

read the rest here ...

Ms. Prokaska's point seems to be that "police forces ... don't want to be accused of racism" so they use a "conciliatory approach" to protests, an approach that Ms. Prokaska disagrees with. She wonders "why aren't arrests made"?

I ask Ms. Prokaska:

Why weren't arrests made when the tobacco farmers protested with a slow rolling convoy and illegally gave away their tobacco?

Why weren't arrests made when (now MP) Randy Hillier and other farmers protested with a slow rolling convoy down the 401, into Toronto, and around and around Queen's Park?

Why weren't arrests made when truckers protested with a slow rolling convoy on the 401?

Ms. Prokaska makes it an issue of race, and the Spectator Editorial Board apparently agrees, since she speaks for them.

But it isn't about "minority groups". It is about the right of protest in a free country. The police, whose responsibility it is first and foremost to uphold the Constitution of Canada, negotiate and patrol to ensure public safety.

Ms. Prokaska, and Spectator Editorial Board that allowed this racist rant to be printed in their name, have become so complacent in their racism, they now don't even bother to disguise it.

Hamiltonians deserve better than to be delivered constant thinly veiled racism for breakfast.

A complaint has been sent to the Ontario Press Council, and I invite other readers to join me in standing up against racism in the Hamilton Spectator by contacting:

Toronto, Ontario

M5B 1J3

Since I have sent a complaint to the Ontario Press Council, the Spectator refuses to respond to my letter.

... to be continued ...

Read the article and agree completely with it - even if it is racist in your mind - simply because I do not give a damn about your racism cries any more - I have been "racism'd to death".

I no longer care about the brown skinned, black skinned, red skinned blue skinned, orange skinned bastards who come to this country and create havoc or use their colour to create stress - and many purposely do.

I am now quite armoured against them and the white folks who also use it - in many cases to profit.

I am not alone in this I am sure.

If the shoe fits in the instance the article it is written then so be it.

I suspect there will be a pile of folks agreeing with the author - because people are tired of some new comer showing up in Canada, sucking the system dry, collecting double welfare cheques, blocking streets and harming business. All while the poor old status quo guy - in many cases the beat up white guy - is paying the bills and his taxes are so high his wife now works as well - they cannot afford to have kids, they cannot afford to have a one income family and they are the back bone of the income structure that pays for the troublemaking assholes out on the street.

Time to start sending people back to where they came from when they do this shit.

Time to start calling ass holes who do this - what they are - immigrant ass holes or minority ass holes.

Become canadian or fuck off back home - I applaud your exit.

Borg

Edited by Borg

read the rest here ...

I ask Ms. Prokaska:

Toronto, Ontario

M5B 1J3

... to be continued ...

My wife and I watched this latest protest tactic, just shaking our heads. Once again, the Six Nations protesters just don't seem to have a clue as to the consequences of their protest methods.

They persist in targeting the ordinary citizen! It wasn't McGuinty who was inconvenienced. It wasn't Chuck Strahl. It was the ordinary citizen just trying to get to work who faced the extra time and aggravation of road closures. He or she may well have been worried that being late might have cost him his job, in these recessionary times.

Raising awareness? They did that all right! They turned more ordinary folks into enemies! Anyone who thinks that all those drivers forced to wait and detour were saying "Gee, I never knew about these native issues! I'm glad they raised my awareness!" is naive in the extreme.

The police follow their policy of appeasement not out of some sense of fairness. Rather, it is solely and only out of an inability to cope with the level of force involved. The tobacco farmer and trucker convoys were allowed to happen because there were so many people and vehicles involved that the police did not have enough men and cruisers to stop them all. They also did not want the bad publicity of having to respond at that high a level.

The OPP practice two-tier racist enforcement at Caledonia and now the "granny walk" of a few days ago for the same reason. They are afraid of how violently the native protesters are prepared to respond if a situation escalates. Nobody forgets 'Lasagna' at Oka.

However, there is a difference between tobacco and trucker protests and those of natives. Tobacco is a single issue affair. Native protests just go on and on. When a tactic works it tends to get repeated, sometimes on a greater scale.

I say again, if you take the time to get the opinion of the ordinary man in Timmy's, the bars or the local supermarkets, the natives seem to be continually making that ordinary guy feel like he's the target and not the politicians. This is NOT going to mean that non-natives will begin to vote for those politicians who favour native claims! Every party offers a large and mixed bad of offerings. One issue would not be enough to get a voter to change his party preference. If Harper offered something pleasing to natives would that be enough to get an NDP voter to change his vote to the local Tory candidate? Not bloody likely!

Its beginning to look almost suspicious as to how the natives at Six Nations NEVER target their protests at politicians! Has there been even ONE placard waving native protester on the sidewalk in front of McGuinty's house? How many have staged their protest in front of Queens Park?

Virtually ALL their protests have targeted ordinary citizens! Perhaps not in intent but absolutely in terms of effects!

I suppose for even thinking these points to some must make me a racist. Well, even if I was willing to shut up over being called nasty names that's not going to change what's happening. It's just straw after straw on the camel's back, as far as changing public opinion in a negative fashion. Sooner or later something might provoke a bad confrontation between protesters and large groups of ordinary citizens, beyond the limits of what the police can handle. Remember, our forces at all levels tend to be relatively small, even on up to our national military.

Maybe I'm worrying needlessly. Perhaps these Six Nation protests will eventually result in native and non-native living together, singing "Kum bye Ya" around camp fires.

Nobody will care about being late for work 'cuz they don't have a job anyway!

I'm sure you were all as pissed off at the tobacco farmers protest then?

Truckers?

Vented your anger that police didn't arrest them, did you?

:rolleyes:

You still don't see it. Perhaps you are too bound up in thinking of people in terms of tribes, or races.

Many people WERE ticked off at the tobacco farmers! Nobody is more righteous than an anti-smoker!

What's more, there are FAR more smokers in mainstream Canadian society than there are supporters for native claims! They would naturally tend to support any group that is targeting the government. Natives are a largely unknown minority that tries to "raise awareness" by making ordinary Canadians aggravated INSTEAD of governments!

However, there were still very important differences. For a start, the tobacco farmers were loud and clear before they ever hit the road that their target was the government! They were 'loud and proud' about it. Since virtually all Canadians tend to blame their governments for everything, they tended to sympathize with the tobacco farmers.

In contrast, the natives seemed to say nothing other than they "were trying to raise awareness". What the hell does that mean to the average joe?

The natives seem to think of non-natives as just one amorphous, 'white' tribe. They certainly act as if the government and the ordinary non-native are the same thing. Who's the racist here, I wonder?

Anyway, the result is that ordinary Canadians feel like they are being lumped under the same target for the native protesters and therefore feel no positive connection with those protesters. How can they, when all they get is the aggravation and inconvenience?

If the natives ever got smart and made even a token effort to spare the ordinary joe and focus more on the governments as something separate from the people they might garner more support.

It's pretty obvious that the protesters have little or no experience with salesmanship. They would launch a protest against Ford motors by letting the air out of every Ford owner's tires for him to discover when he goes to leave for work in the morning!

Edited by Wild Bill

You still don't see it. Perhaps you are too bound up in thinking of people in terms of tribes, or races.

Many people WERE ticked off at the tobacco farmers! Nobody is more righteous than an anti-smoker!

What's more, there are FAR more smokers in mainstream Canadian society than there are supporters for native claims! They would naturally tend to support any group that is targeting the government. Natives are a largely unknown minority that tries to "raise awareness" by making ordinary Canadians aggravated INSTEAD of governments!

However, there were still very important differences. For a start, the tobacco farmers were loud and clear before they ever hit the road that their target was the government! They were 'loud and proud' about it. Since virtually all Canadians tend to blame their governments for everything, they tended to sympathize with the tobacco farmers.

In contrast, the natives seemed to say nothing other than they "were trying to raise awareness". What the hell does that mean to the average joe?

The natives seem to think of non-natives as just one amorphous, 'white' tribe. They certainly act as if the government and the ordinary non-native are the same thing. Who's the racist here, I wonder?

Anyway, the result is that ordinary Canadians feel like they are being lumped under the same target for the native protesters and therefore feel no positive connection with those protesters. How can they, when all they get is the aggravation and inconvenience?

If the natives ever got smart and made even a token effort to spare the ordinary joe and focus more on the governments as something separate from the people they might garner more support.

It's pretty obvious that the protesters have little or no experience with salesmanship. They would launch a protest against Ford motors by letting the air out of every Ford owner's tires for him to discover when he goes to leave for work in the morning!

Hey Bill! Here's your chance! Get out there and protest, eh! :lol:

On Friday June 12/09, in a meeting called by the OPP CANACE founders Merlyn Kinrade and Gary McHale were informed by Sgt. Phil Carter that the OPP would permit the planned rally in support of Randy Fleming to march down Argyle St. past the Douglas Creek Estates occupation site. Residents will be carrying the Canadian Flag as they march. This historic march will take place on Saturday, June 20 at 1:30. (Link) For additional information regarding Randy Fleming's arrest see Link.

But I still think that some of you are totally missing the point:

If the Hamilton Spectator is going to rant about protests on the highways, they should rant about it no matter who's doing it. However, they only rant about "minority groups" doing it, and that's unacceptable racism by the media.

We'll see what the Ontario Press Council has to say to them this time.

Edited by tango

I'm sure you were all as pissed off at the tobacco farmers protest then?

Truckers?

Vented your anger that police didn't arrest them, did you?

Nope I supported the farmers in fact

They targeted the government, informed the people that they were not the target, did not threaten any locals, were overall polite to the locals, left no garbage laying around, did NO willful damage to private property that I know of, did not create a hassle for police - in fact planned ahead and had several meetings with them to ensure no problems with the police and did not cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in clean up.

I watched the farmers actually use their own tractors and trailers to help with the clean up aftee the protest in Toronto and Ottawa.

They were respectful to the general public and they also made a point of staying out of the way of emergency vehicles.

Some protesting farmers at one demonstration in Toronto even rescued a guy out of a burning vehicle well before the fire department got there - and the wife of one farmer was a nurse who administered first aide.

Yeah the farmers were pissing off the locals - but they did it in a way that was also unthreatening and polite and clean and NO garbage and shit left lying around - and did not ever threaten a local.

No frigging Tamils can say they did that - can they!?!?

So - all in all the minority immigrant protesters are a problem - are a cost - and do their best to make the lives of the local populace very difficult through action and threat and actual violence.

Shoe fits - reporting is accurate and truthful - and you do not like the truth.

They were scumbags and should be rounded up and removed from the country

If pointing this out - telling the truth - makes me a racist - then too effing bad - you blankety blankety foolish person who cannot see the difference - you need to get out and start to actually think for yourself rather than be led around by the nose.

I have always stated that you are welcome if you WANT to become a Canadian - otherwise I celebrate when you take your sorry third world ass and leave the country. Not everyone from offshore deserves what this country has to offer

Things are not always nicey nicey in the local playground sandbox and we need to get rid of them - in fact there are over 40,000 that have been ordered deported - but no one seems to be able to find them - time you learned this.

I will save you the response:

Yup - I be a racist I guess. :lol::lol:

Borg

Edited by Borg

Nope I supported the farmers in fact

They targeted the government, informed the people that they were not the target, did not threaten any locals, were overall polite to the locals, left no garbage laying around, did NO willful damage to private property that I know of, did not create a hassle for police - in fact planned ahead and had several meetings with them to ensure no problems with the police and did not cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in clean up.

I watched the farmers actually use their own tractors and trailers to help with the clean up aftee the protest in Toronto and Ottawa.

They were respectful to the general public and they also made a point of staying out of the way of emergency vehicles.

Some protesting farmers at one demonstration in Toronto even rescued a guy out of a burning vehicle well before the fire department got there - and the wife of one farmer was a nurse who administered first aide.

Yeah the farmers were pissing off the locals - but they did it in a way that was also unthreatening and polite and clean and NO garbage and shit left lying around - and did not ever threaten a local.

No frigging Tamils can say they did that - can they!?!?

So - all in all the minority immigrant protesters are a problem - are a cost - and do their best to make the lives of the local populace very difficult through action and threat and actual violence.

Shoe fits - reporting is accurate and truthful - and you do not like the truth.

They were scumbags and should be rounded up and removed from the country

If pointing this out - telling the truth - makes me a racist - then too effing bad - you blankety blankety foolish person who cannot see the difference - you need to get out and start to actually think for yourself rather than be led around by the nose.

I have always stated that you are welcome if you WANT to become a Canadian - otherwise I celebrate when you take your sorry third world ass and leave the country. Not everyone from offshore deserves what this country has to offer

Things are not always nicey nicey in the local playground sandbox and we need to get rid of them - in fact there are over 40,000 that have been ordered deported - but no one seems to be able to find them - time you learned this.

I will save you the response:

Yup - I be a racist I guess. :lol::lol:

Borg

You be ... if you choose ... but your 'arguments' are pretty silly!

But again, you miss the point: It's NOT ok for a major media outlet to be racist.

Edited by tango

You be ... if you choose ... but your 'arguments' are pretty silly!

But again, you miss the point: It's NOT ok for a major media outlet to be racist.

Racist by YOUR definition! YOU define other protests as equally guilty and then YOU cite the fact that a newspaper did not criticize them to the same degree as evidence of the paper being racist in its policy!

These are not facts. They are only your opinions. Others might well disagree.

Still, that's why we have courts, to make judgements as to whose opinions are indeed factual in these cases. It might indeed be interesting to have a judge hear the case. I do hope it doesn't become another travesty like the Ezra Lavant-Human Rights Star Chamber trip! Regular court might be a more fair venue. It would bother me if you got a free pass on all lawyers fees. I understand that it might not be a level playing field to go up against the resources of a large business like a newspaper but at the same time the Levant case showed how easy it is for a defendant to be impoverished paying for his legal defence, to the point where his innocence or guilt becomes irrelevant as he runs out of funds to mount an effective defence. This sort of thing is really just abuse of the process, a guerrilla tactic that spits in the very face of the spirit of justice!

That issue is just a sidebar, however. You could well win your 'racism' battle and the natives would only lose the war of public opinion. A verdict in your favour would do nothing to counteract feelings of resentment among non-natives. In fact, it probably would only make things worse. The 'average joe' is feeling that to the natives he's just cannon fodder and what's worse, his governments will not protect him either!

This is what breeds disrespect for the law and in extreme cases, vigilantism. NOT a good thing!

This sort of thing just keeps growing and growing under the McGuinty "Neville Chamberlain" methods of handling such problems. Thank heavens I don't live in Caledonia! I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the town when things eventually come to a head!

I don't think any of them are a problem. Picking on protests by "minority groups" is the problem.

I have made a complaint to the Ontario Press Council, and there may very well be an adjudication hearing.

Well, that's your right!

Go ahead and add another straw.

Pompous, arrogant and entitled

You do not get it - you are out of touch

And (to repeat) once again another straw is added

In your mad dog search for this magical equality you actually create more hatred

That is why I cannot stand people like you - because it is you and your ilk who actually cause the undercurrents of hatred and anger

I wish the paper would print more about the problems we have with immigrants and minorities in this country rather than pander to folks like you - and believe me they are starting to - heck even the ass wipe Star printed a negative one on the Tamils - but then again they so seldom do this - that is why you left them alone.

Come to Canada - be a Canadian

Otherwise take your third world ass and get the hell out of here

Borg

Edited by Borg

Pompous, arrogant and entitled

You do not get it - you are out of touch

And (to repeat) once again another straw is added

In your mad dog search for this magical equality you actually create more hatred

That is why I cannot stand people like you - because it is you and your ilk who actually cause the undercurrents of hatred and anger

I wish the paper would print more about the problems we have with immigrants and minorities in this country rather than pander to folks like you - and believe me they are starting to - heck even the ass wipe Star printed a negative one on the Tamils - but then again they so seldom do this - that is why you left them alone.

Come to Canada - be a Canadian

Otherwise take your third world ass and get the hell out of here

Borg

:lol:

The topic is Indigenous people.

:lol:

The topic is Indigenous people.

What kind of term is that...I thought we were all indigenous people - native to the earth. I wonder if the so-called indigenous people secretly wish you would stop calling them that - setting them up as a race out side the human race and in effect then practicing racism.

A distinction you don't seem to recognize, tango, is that the trucker convoy and farmer tractor protests are one-time events.

They make a nuisance of themselves for one afternoon, then take their rigs or tractors back home.

The Tamil protests, by contrast, were an on-going blitz. Native blockades have often run weeks or months, sometimes isolating whole communities in the process.

You look completely disingenuous in ignoring that aspect of it.

Had the farmers or truckers staged an ongoing series of road blockages, peoples' patience for them would have been exhausted very quickly.

A one-time event can be fairly called "raising awareness".

An ongoing campaign to make people miserable until you get your way isn't "raising awareness", it's extortion.

-k

What kind of term is that...I thought we were all indigenous people - native to the earth. I wonder if the so-called indigenous people secretly wish you would stop calling them that - setting them up as a race out side the human race and in effect then practicing racism.

:lol: Oleg you make me laugh! In fact most on here make me laugh--there's only one or two who actually know what they're talking about when it comes to aboriginal issues--the rest of you sound like babbling fools. I guess that means if you're right-wing--you're a babbling fool

:lol: Oleg you make me laugh! In fact most on here make me laugh--there's only one or two who actually know what they're talking about when it comes to aboriginal issues--the rest of you sound like babbling fools. I guess that means if you're right-wing--you're a babbling fool

I know some INDIANS....YAH I said it redskins...natives - aboriginals....and if you ask them - to you want your race ignored when I deal with you? They would consider the question an insult to their intelligence - If I am talking to a homeless begger - do I say hey homeless inferiour...wanna dollar? Or do I just look that man in the eye and speak to him...and that is what I do - I am respected by these "indiginous" natives of the street...of the concrete forest - most are white - but because I actually ignore the 'slander" on the poor - you would be surprised how bright they are -- like one eyed Glen - a bit of a dwarf - stabbed in the eye ---- he is aweful to look at but under that skin is a bright and good man.....INDIANS don't want the white mans dishonesty or delluded sense of superiourity - why do we not have a department of ugly one eyed peoples affairs?

I don't thin k the article is racist. It's a free country and a free press. You trying to censor freedom of speech or the press is pretty rich given your supposed urgency to "uphold the constitution of this country"

That said, I fully support the right of peaceful assembly in this country, regardles of race.

Edited by JerrySeinfeld

I know some INDIANS....YAH I said it redskins...natives - aboriginals....and if you ask them - to you want your race ignored when I deal with you? They would consider the question an insult to their intelligence - If I am talking to a homeless begger - do I say hey homeless inferiour...wanna dollar? Or do I just look that man in the eye and speak to him...and that is what I do - I am respected by these "indiginous" natives of the street...of the concrete forest - most are white - but because I actually ignore the 'slander" on the poor - you would be surprised how bright they are -- like one eyed Glen - a bit of a dwarf - stabbed in the eye ---- he is aweful to look at but under that skin is a bright and good man.....INDIANS don't want the white mans dishonesty or delluded sense of superiourity - why do we not have a department of ugly one eyed peoples affairs?

Or how about the Federal Department of Smelly Boat People from Europe and the UK?