Another Tory MP

For 6 days the documents some of it marked "secret" was left behind at the CTV studios. By doing this the public now knows just how ALL the Natural Resource ministers dealt with Chalk River and how they handles the problems there. I'm sure today in question period the opposition parties will be asking for her job and how can Harper keep her? http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Edited by Topaz

c'mon Harper... follow your precedent with Bernier :lol:

Mr. Speaker, the rules governing classified documents are always serious. That is why, when the minister became aware of the situation, he told me and tendered his resignation, which I accepted
Ministers are always responsible for the protection of classified documents. The minister admitted his mistake in this matter and resigned his post. That is why I accepted his resignation. The former minister did the honourable thing by resigning
The minister admitted that he failed to protect classified documents. That is why he offered his resignation and why I accepted it.
We know the reason the former minister of foreign affairs offered me his resignation was because of his own actions. He left classified documents in an inappropriate and unsecured location. He offered to resign and I accepted his resignation

For 6 days the documents some of it marked "secret" was left behind at the CTV studios.

The minister did the honourable thing and offered her resignation.

Harper did not accept it and his reasons seem inconsistent with past practices including his own.

I notice many on the right are not touching this thread at all. The reason they aren't is because it really emphasizes Harper is being inconsistent.

If secret cabinet document are not really that secret, Harper should stop blocking freedom of information requests for that data.

What gives?

I think that the opposition should keep after them on this.

Oh I think they will, especially the Liberals. Any opportunity is welcome to detract from the sponsorship scandal, which is again in the news.

Former federal Liberal executive Benoit Corbeil is the first political figure to plead guilty in the federal sponsorship scandal and he's suggesting he might name other figures involved in his influence-peddling plot.

Corbeil entered pleas to fraud and influence peddling during an appearance Wednesday morning at the Montreal courthouse. A third charge of conspiracy was stayed.

The influence peddling happened while Corbeil was a Liberal organizer in 1997 and he engaged in fraud while serving as director of the Liberal party's Quebec wing in 2000.

---

A judge ordered a pre-sentencing report for early September. The Crown wants Corbeil to do jail time but Corbeil's lawyer says he should stay out of jail because he never made a penny from the fraudulent transactions.

However, Corbeil says he will reveal who profited from the scam, suggesting more names will come out in connection with the scandal that helped to bring down Paul Martin's minority Liberal government in 2006.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

This won't do the Liberals any good, especially in Quebec where they are on an upswing and where Corbeil is getting plenty of attention in the media.

So yes, expect the Liberals to draw out the Raitt story as long as possible, hoping that Benoit Corbeil gets buried in the back pages.

I have mixed feelings on this one. I think CTV should have called the Minister or her aides and let them know that they left something behind. Instead, they helped to create a story. That doesn't change the fact that it was careless.....it's just that it should have been a smaller story than they made it out to be. It just doesn't sit right. In spite of that, Lisa Raitt did the very honorable thing and offered her resignation and in the final analysis, the aide who was supposed to take care of the documents DID resign. It would never satisfy the opposition but I think that's all you could expect to be done.

As one Lib pointed out, if the Minister offer to quit then she must have thought SHE had done something wrong too or that she was responsible. Although....who within the Tories could take her place Lunn again? The have a bunch of dummies, whose job is to sit there and clap when Tory says something smartmouth!

Corbeil is Harpers best friend, and CTV is the Liberals best friend.

It's all politics, man

I strongly disagree with you. Did you not watch Duffy when he was on there?? He was no Lib supporter. Tom Clark is good as going after the government and its ministers. I expect him to do the same with the Libs when/if they are elected.

Secret foreign intelligence documents left with a biker, and cabinet discussions about Chalk River being left at CTV (who broadcast Secret information... legal?) are two very different things.

I don't think so. All cabinet briefing books can lead to potential problems if they are left to those who are not cleared for access. It is a breach of security and Harper himself has said so.

I also know you would like to say Bernier's girlfriend was a biker but there is no evidence that she was. She certainly kept questionable company but Harper certainly didn't say anything and had ample opportunity.

Next, the Tories wish to sell AECL and information about its business functions and costs is something I think the government doesn't want out there. Hence, the words SECRET on the cover.

Every time Corbeil's name is mentioned, so is the sponsorship scandal.

In conjunction with the fact Corbeil was investigated there but his crime took place when he stole from the Liberal party.

I have mixed feelings on this one. I think CTV should have called the Minister or her aides and let them know that they left something behind. Instead, they helped to create a story. That doesn't change the fact that it was careless.....it's just that it should have been a smaller story than they made it out to be. It just doesn't sit right. In spite of that, Lisa Raitt did the very honorable thing and offered her resignation and in the final analysis, the aide who was supposed to take care of the documents DID resign. It would never satisfy the opposition but I think that's all you could expect to be done.

You're a reporter, some aide of a Cabinet Minster leaves behind a book with "SECRET" stamped on it. I don't care what newspaper, radio or TV station you work for, the first words out of your mouth are not going to be "Hey, you forgot something!" They're going to be "Thank you Baby Jesus!"

If the government doesn't want secret documents seen by reporters, they'd best leave them in secured places. It is the duty of the Press to report the facts. That's a key pillar of democracy.

So, if a woman left her purse behind in the green room, would CTV be justified in making copies of any personal documents found inside, and presenting those on the news? I'd think they'd be brought up on charges if they did so. How is this different, especially when they were acutely aware that the documents were classified as "secret". If anything, it's worse on CTV's part.

It's not as if there was bombshell news to report in that binder anyway, All CTV has really proven is that they can't be trusted.