Enough with the gouging at the pumps Already...

As was already said in this thread, Kwebek sells it's electricity to Kwebekers at a lower price. Why not Alberta? Why not Saskatchewan?

It's spelled Quebec. It's rather juvenile to misspell the name of a province because you (for some reason) don't like them. Hydro Quebec is owned by the Government of Quebec. That's why they sell their electricity to their own citizens for a lower price. I suppose you could always have the Government of Alberta take control of the oil industry.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? It isn't a question of subsidization necessarily, but regional pricing. Most (not all) products have a variance in price depending on location so I am simply saying that Albertans should be able to purchase products made in their own province for less than others. In order to do this effectively (as in the case of gasoline) one would have to keep the "cross border" shopping to a minimum. The best way to do this is to increase the rate to everyone and credit back those that have an income tax return that proves they're Albertan.

So who will take the hit for this, the oil companies or the provincial treasury through lower royalties?

Or just offer a provincial fuel tax rebate to residents, if you are picky about Albertans directly getting cheaper fuel, instead of just having the benefit of that money in provincial general revenue...

Either way, seems pointless to me. Albertans are already getting the benefit of local oil--- why reinvent the taxation wheel just to drive that point home?

Or just offer a provincial fuel tax rebate to residents, if you are picky about Albertans directly getting cheaper fuel, instead of just having the benefit of that money in provincial general revenue...

Either way, seems pointless to me. Albertans are already getting the benefit of local oil--- why reinvent the taxation wheel just to drive that point home?

It's not pointless. It's our resource. Why reinvent it?

Because we can. And it would iritate Ontario.

And as I said, add the world US $ price per barrel to 35 (local taxes), and you get the Cdn price per litre: about 85 cents.

IOW, Canadian taxes form a base and then the pump price follows the world price.

-----

There is no such thing as a world market for oil. World oil prices are propoganda spun by the greedy alberta oil industry. If there is one spot where the oil has to be bought from in the world provide the link to that spot. The fact is, oil is being sold on the exchanges around the world and behind closed doors.

But here's an idea. Should Albertans sell their oil in Alberta at a lower price than they sell it to other Canadians or foreigners?

How's the unemployment rate in Alberta? Albertans are at the whims of the greedy oil companies but when the going gets tough, Albertans are being tossed in the toilet like a sheet of toilet paper. Now that times are tough Albertans are looking to Canada for sympathy. Well, maybe Non Albertans should reciprocate their attitude back onto Alberta and give them the one finger sulute. ;)

In Quebec, Hydro-Quebec sells electricity at a lower price to local consumers in Montreal (even foreign firms in Quebec) than it sells electricity to people in Boston, or Toronto. Since Canada has oil, should gasoline be cheaper in Canada?

Wow, what a concept. That's is the right attitude. That's a family and friends first and the rest second. The greedy and corrupt will not get that fundamental principal of life. When they do maybe they will know what life is. Yes, As gas is cheaper in saudi arabia and venezula to the rest of the world, so should it be in Canada.

The Irony, I am not asking for Gasoline to be cheaper, I am asking For Gas parity with the United States. Should Canadians not have equal Gas prices to Americans? We are an oil exporter for eff sakes. Not having Gas parity is an insult and an offense to Canadians.