"Money to stop the pirates would be best sent to them"

tango

Still the #1 pirate coast.

Since the coordinated efforts began three years ago, the amount of piracy has been following steadily every year. In my mind this shows that states with actual functioning governments are able to enforce the law, while states in anarchy aren't - I'm sure you don't disagree with that basic premise, correct?

Also, the waters in question are different: the straits are better suited to piracy because it's narrow (easier to find and ambush ships) and there's thousands of rivers for the small boats to run up and hide once patrols come looking. In Somalia it's big open water.

Crime isn't a function of poverty, it's a function of stupidity, laziness, opportunity and wealth.

Now if you could only find a criminologist or two who agreed with that statement.

Since the coordinated efforts began three years ago, the amount of piracy has been following steadily every year. In my mind this shows that states with actual functioning governments are able to enforce the law, while states in anarchy aren't - I'm sure you don't disagree with that basic premise, correct?

Also, the waters in question are different: the straits are better suited to piracy because it's narrow (easier to find and ambush ships) and there's thousands of rivers for the small boats to run up and hide once patrols come looking. In Somalia it's big open water.

Never the less they aren't failed states...so clearly the connection between failed states and piracy is nebulous and coincidental.

No piracy...piracy is more common historically a function of a working state.

In swashbuckling times, when states actually commissioned pirates, yes. But that's whole different ballgame than the modern era, no states sponsor pirates - they're all criminal enterprises.

And like any other criminal enterprise they'll exploit regions where law enforcement and deterrence is weak, meaning they'll operate in and around failed states or regions within a working state that are on the frontier and where the central government cannot exert its authority.

To get back to my original point - when Somalia did have a stable government - the Islamic Courts Union, they all but stopped piracy because they were able to enforce the law. What are we discussing here? Are you disputing that fact?

To get back to my original point - when Somalia did have a stable government - the Islamic Courts Union, they all but stopped piracy because they were able to enforce the law. What are we discussing here? Are you disputing that fact?

Gosh no...I'm disputing this.

If Somalia wasn't a failed state, there would be no piracy.