Senate appointments

mjp

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point about the NDP and Lillian Dyck is that members of the NDP have accepted senate seats. You're saying the NDP won't accept senate seats as though the coalition wouldn't put NDP members in the senate. That's clearly not the case. NDP politicians may lose the NDP title going into the senate, but nothing is to stop them from using the "Independent NDP" title Senator Dyck uses, nor is that going to change their political beliefs once they get there. They are still NDP members that are accepting senate seats, on the minor technicality of not being called "NDP"; instead, they're called Ind. NDP. The coalition can appoint NDP members as senators, they will not sit as NDP once there, but that doesn't stop them from being appointed and accepting the seats.

So, you're right, the NDP doesn't accept senate seats, but neither does the LPC or CPC. It is their politicians that accept the senate appointments.

And then they choose a political party to sit with. There is no Federal Senate NDP. IIRC there was an LPC Senator appointed by Trudeau who switched to the CPC? An NDP member who accepts a Senate Seat, would be viewed like someone who crosses the floor.

The LPC, and CPC accept Sitting Senators into their caucus. And they are accepted in the house if given Cabinet seats, like Fortier.

Yes she is.

Damn, I fumbled the ball and left the door open for you to say that. I must be more careful in the future. I'll get better at this. Thanks.

No rhetoric, no hyperbole, I'm making an effort to not be a jackass all the time. Now wheres my pat on the head?

Edited by Mr.Canada

"Ah, I see. Thank you for that..

Now show me the part that makes her an invalid Canadian "

I never mentioned anything of the sort. I said she is an American, which she is.

In politics, one focuses on truth that discredits a candidate and ignores other truths that make the target look favourable. This is the game.

She isn't Canadian. I don't want outsiders deciding our Canadian laws and policy.

Now you lost me..

Anyhow, please tell me.. Why should being born out of the country effect anything?

"Ah, I see. Thank you for that..

Now show me the part that makes her an invalid Canadian "

Now you lost me..

Anyhow, please tell me.. Why should being born out of the country effect anything?

It seems that many Canadians would readily accept a foreigner bossing us around. I wouldn't. I don't think foreigners should be able to be PM but that's what we're setting ourselves up for.

I like the law in the US that states that a foreign born person can never be President.

Yeah, this could go on a long time... ;)

Follow the other one with Small C and Mr. Canada.

They left off here.

SHE IS..

oh darn it. That ones correct too. Forget it. SHort fun blast though.

Hey, at least I'm not being a jackass like I was when I first joined. We are arguing in peace without me spewing rhetoric and as smallc says, hyperbole.

Yeah, this could go on a long time... ;)

Follow the other one with Small C and Mr. Canada.

They left off here.

SHE IS..

oh darn it. That ones correct too. Forget it. SHort fun blast though.

But is it the true form of Lillian Dyck or just a cheap imitation of the true form of Lillian Dyck? Can we have true knowledge of this Lillian Dyck or just opinion?

It seems that many Canadians would readily accept a foreigner bossing us around. I wouldn't. I don't think foreigners should be able to be PM but that's what we're setting ourselves up for.

I like the law in the US that states that a foreign born person can never be President.

So you think John Turner was a bad PM? Maybe anyone who has ever left the country should never be PM too.

You have a problem with Tommy Douglas and John Turner? What makes you think that somebody born out of the country is considered a "foreigner"??! Jeez.. Does the Citizenship act mean anything anymore?? What makes you think that somebody born inside the country is automatically loyal to the country?

Edited by LesterDC

I do have a problem with the rush of Senators about to be appointed. I think this does two things. It highlights how pathetic the Senate is. And possibly indicates that Harper is intending to gamble on an election come January, or should the majority opposition choose to work together, perhaps the Senate appointments will try to make delays in the Senate.

Regardless, the Senate is completely flawed.