Two ADQ members jump to Quebec Liberals

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...1023?hub=Canada

Two members of the Opposition Action democratique du Quebec jumped to the governing Liberals on Thursday, padding the ranks of the minority government and furthering speculation of a snap election.

The defections of Andre Riedl and Pierre Michel Auger give Premier Jean Charest's party 48 of the 125 seats in the legislature and reduce the ADQ caucus to 39.

The Parti Quebecois has 36 seats, while there are two vacancies in Liberal strongholds.

Curious things afoot in Quebec.

Election soon?

Curious things afoot in Quebec.

Election soon?

Dumont, like Harper, has tossed aside a golden opportunity.

I think Leonard Cohen wrote a book of poems entitled "Beautiful Losers". Such may be Harper and Dumont.

----

As to a Quebec election, I thought Charest would call one in November. Now, I'm not sure. Charest seems spooked by the defeat of Harper in Quebec and the fall of Dow-Jones. No one in Quebec knows how much the Caisse has lost.

Nevertheless, I'm more impressed with Charest's political skills than Obama's. Charest has gone from Mr. Canada to a Bourassa clone. Remarkable.

Dumont, like Harper, has tossed aside a golden opportunity.

As to a Quebec election, I thought Charest would call one in November. Now, I'm not sure. Charest seems spooked by the defeat of Harper in Quebec and the fall of Dow-Jones. No one in Quebec knows how much the Caisse has lost.

Economy = elephant when elections are called. Now maybe better than later for Charest. If a majority is to be reached, it will probably have to come before economic concerns are manifested in actual real harm in the province.