Dion's 3 strikes interview

Yoo-hoooo, didn't you watch the news yesterday or the several talk shows where bank experts were interviewed?

They all conceded that without the $25 billion our banks will still survive! Harper injected that money so small businesses and citizens will get loans without any hassles. Whether we like it or not, we are somehow affected by what's happening outside Canada.

Do you know we stand to make money on the mortgages that Harper bought? He did not buy bad mortgages you know....

Quite apart from the point that this isn't a bailout, nor does it represent any added risk, nor does it change anything but the substance of an asset.

For example, say you own a gold bar worth $100. Someone gives you $100 in cash for that gold bar. Both are in the exact same situation, except that one person now has liquid cash, the other a less liquid asset.

This is sort of like what happened here, only the government already insures these mortgages (or more specifically, CMHC). So in my example where the gold might be subject to fluctuation up or down, that risk is not a factor here given that it's present in both situations.

In short, just as every expert on this subject has explained to those who are willing to listen, all this is is a liquidity issue. Has nothing to do with a bailout.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again an invalid argument. The simple fact is that its irrelevant how well anyone here could answer that question, no one here wants to be PM. Deflection and obfuscation does not a valid point make.

Who cares how well anyone here could answer the question, thats totally irrelevant. What matters is how well Dion could answer the question, thats the reason he was there, to give answers to questions. Obviously he had no answer, even after multiple attempts and assistance from others.

So I make you PM today and ask you what you would have done 6 months ago.

Well logically if you were only made PM today, you would have still been opposition leader 6 months ago. So what would you have done? What could you have done? You were the opposition not the PM.

And the panic being created by the oppositions are causing people to take their money out! That's why it's going to make the situation worse for us than it really is!

Not to mention causing the population unnecessary anxiety and stress!

Talk about irresponsible self-serving reactions by the oppositions! Opportunism at its shameless core!

And yet Harper is preaching Opportunism. "Lots of good buys out there."

Yoo-hoooo, didn't you watch the news yesterday or the several talk shows where bank experts were interviewed?

They all conceded that without the $25 billion our banks will still survive! Harper injected that money so small businesses and citizens will get loans without any hassles. Whether we like it or not, we are somehow affected by what's happening outside Canada.

I thought our economy was fine, though...

It really does smack of political opportunism given that our economy is so integrated with that of the United States'. Staving of the inevitable just long enough for the election, then who knows what?

Do you know we stand to make money on the mortgages that Harper bought? He did not buy bad mortgages you know....

so they say...

What's the definition of "bail out," may I ask?

Harper is giving the banks money to help them out of a financial situation. It doesn't matter that he is getting something back in return, because that is not the point. The point is that if everything were as good as he has been saying it is, why the sudden need to give the banks $25 billion? Why the flip-flop?

I am not an economist. Ask Harper. He has the answer! In fact he had already foreseen and acted on it MORE THAN 6 MONTHS AGO.Why do you think financial experts are saying we are not on the same boat as the USA?

Why do you think our banks are not failing?

The only reason our market is fluctuating is largely thanks to the oppositions who are creating panic in this country!

You may want to reread the question.

Well logically if you were only made PM today, you would have still been opposition leader 6 months ago. So what would you have done? What could you have done? You were the opposition not the PM.

But wasn't it Dion's hearing disability and poor English skills that was his excuse?

Please. Any other leader would have answered the question, in all likelihood in about 25% of the number of tries.

You just don't get it do you? Once again you avoid the subject and veer off into the hypothetical. Is there something about this concept that baffles you?

You're not going to make me PM, I'm not going to be PM, I don't want to be PM. As such your question is reduced to irrelevancy once more. On the other hand Dion wants to be PM, he has a shot at becoming PM, as such the question is entirely relevant when asked of him. You could say that answering that question is part of his job interview. That being the case then it has to be said that he failed miserably in his job interview.

As for how the question was asked, well I've yet to see or hear of anyone other than Dion who did not understand the question. That alone speaks volumes about the man.

It really does smack of political opportunism given that our economy is so integrated with that of the United States'. Staving of the inevitable just long enough for the election, then who knows what?

so they say...

Whether these are bad mortgages or not is irrelevant. If people started defaulting, whether the asset exchange occurred or not, CMHC is on the hook for insuring them.

You just don't get it do you? Once again you avoid the subject and veer off into the hypothetical. Is there something about this concept that baffles you?

You're not going to make me PM, I'm not going to be PM, I don't want to be PM. As such your question is reduced to irrelevancy once more. On the other hand Dion wants to be PM, he has a shot at becoming PM, as such the question is entirely relevant when asked of him. You could say that answering that question is part of his job interview. That being the case then it has to be said that he failed miserably in his job interview.

As for how the question was asked, well I've yet to see or hear of anyone other than Dion who did not understand the question. That alone speaks volumes about the man.

Man you don't get it do you?

I am sorry this scenario is beyond your comprehension.

I'll try again.

If I were to give you a Tonka Truck today, how much sand could you have moved 6 months ago?

It is supposed to be a simple question why not answer the question so you do not look so foolish.

You said it is a simple question then answer it and proof you are right.

"Proof" I am right? Ironic.

Anyway, back on point. Dion answered the question, it took him 4 times to do it. It wasn't the question, it was that he had no answer. And more importantly, his answer is total garbage. He has no plan.

Man you don't get it do you?

I am sorry this scenario is beyond your comprehension.

I'll try again.

If I were to give you a Tonka Truck today, how much sand could you have moved 6 months ago?

Are you deliberately being obtuse? What on earth does my answering the question have to do with Dions inability to answer it?

I'm not running for PM, he is, do you at least understand that concept? So far all you've done is repeatedly trot out your version of the old school yard "maybe I am but what are you" argument. If you're representative of the average Liberal supporter I'm not surprised the party is self destructing.

By the way, I fully understand the concept you postulate. What you fail to comprehend is that its absolutely and totally irrelevant.

It is supposed to be a simple question why not answer the question so you do not look so foolish.

Holy sh*t, another one who does not understand relevancy versus irrelevancy. It most certainly is not a simple question, it was simple to understand what was being asked, the answer is a whole other kettle of fish and by its nature very complicated. All that is beside the point though as Dion had no answer to it of any substance at all.

By continuing to ask this irrelevant question it is actually you guys who are making yourselves look foolish.

Um Harper just handed the banks $25 Billion, but they are not failing.

Dion and McCallum agreed with the move to build liquidity which in turn will free up cash for loans to businesses and consumers. Do you even follow the news?

1. They did not go crazy with sub-prime mortgages.

And Harper has taken steps to prevent zero down, 40 year mortgages. Do you even follow the news?

That's what the Liberals were saying in 2007 when Harper was cautioning that US and global economic problems were heavy on the horizon. Now they are panicked because they were asleep at the switch and too busy propping up a government they disagreed with.