Leak of Martin memoirs sends Liberals scrambling

Looks like the Liberals might not dodge this bullet, coming during the last week of the campaign.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...PStory/National

Leak of Martin memoirs sends Liberals scrambling

Former PM accuses Chrétien of sabotage in biting autobiography

DANIEL LEBLANC

With a report from Bill Curry

October 7, 2008

OTTAWA -- The Liberals scrambled to contain the fallout of Paul Martin's scathing autobiography yesterday, fearing their election campaign could be derailed by accusations that Jean Chrétien deliberately undermined the party before his 2003 retirement.

Entitled Hell or High Water, the book is a first-hand account of Mr. Martin's problem-filled stint as prime minister, and will revisit more than a decade of Martin-Chrétien infighting when it is officially released at the end of the month.

Mr. Martin gives much of the blame for the short life of his government to Mr. Chrétien, saying his predecessor is responsible for the sponsorship scandal's political fallout and the Liberal Party's subsequent funding woes.

The book's content was revealed in a Montreal newspaper yesterday, and Liberal officials quickly clamped down on any public statement for fear of turning the attention away from their campaign for the Oct. 14 election.

congt..

Its easy to blame other people, I guess. But anyone who wants to be leader has to be able to overcome great difficulty, and still rise to the occasion and be the leader. The real problem with the liberal party is very very simple- Stephan Dion. He has no charisma, at least amongst english speaking canadians. I watched the debate in french and he came across much more forcefully, more animated and speaking very quickly. He should stick to speaking french.

Edited by Sir Bandelot

I'm disappointed the Martin book came out at this time. It will steal some of the thunder of the release of the Conservative platform. This is particularly so for Quebec, where they love to see politicians fall flat on their faces. In La Belle Province, much attention will be given to Martin getting even with Chretien on such a grand scale. On the other hand, it's also taking the sails out of the Couillard diaries and that can be a good thing for Conservatives, especially Maxime Bernier.

I'm disappointed the Martin book came out at this time. It will steal some of the thunder of the release of the Conservative platform. This is particularly so for Quebec, where they love to see politicians fall flat on their faces. In La Belle Province, much attention will be given to Martin getting even with Chretien on such a grand scale. On the other hand, it's also taking the sails out of the Couillard diaries and that can be a good thing for Conservatives, especially Maxime Bernier.

It's being released two weeks after the election, I believe; these are only "leaks". Whatever the case, it is insignificant; electors are concerned about what the party can do now rather than past problems with infighting.

Oh I so love to see the Federal Liberals stumbling over themselves like a bunch of sideshow clowns, it is so amusing.

How anyone could every vote for that party of boofons and liars is amazing it just proves there is a sucker born every minute I guess.

Go ahead flame away, if you vote for the Liberals how can anyone take anything you say seriously just like the leaders of the party.

Oh I so love to see the Federal Liberals stumbling over themselves like a bunch of sideshow clowns, it is so amusing.

How anyone could every vote for that party of boofons and liars is amazing it just proves there is a sucker born every minute I guess.

Go ahead flame away, if you vote for the Liberals how can anyone take anything you say seriously just like the leaders of the party.

One name - Brian Mulroney.

Such as? I think the Liberals are starting to pull themselves together, while the Conservatives are starting to unravel.

My sentiments exactly when it comes to the Cons.

Too bad the Cons are dropping in the polls to the Liberals gaining, so this should make for an interesting Oct. 14. The Liberals might even pull out a slim minority.

Such as? I think the Liberals are starting to pull themselves together, while the Conservatives are starting to unravel.

My sentiments exactly when it comes to the Cons.

Too bad the Cons are dropping in the polls to the Liberals gaining, so this should make for an interesting Oct. 14. The Liberals might even pull out a slim minority.

You may prove right. A lot can happen in a week, during a campaign. Still, I'm just not sure. It's understandable that many voters might start to waver about their choices.

The kicker is that it's one thing to lose confidence in Harper. It's quite another to actually vote for one of the alternatives! Just because Harper gets taken down a notch or two doesn't automatically put the others up.

Harper did make a mistake in trying to appear unconcerned about an economic downturn. His opponents pounced on him for appearing to be oblivious to a real problem that's developing. This earned them a bounce in the polls. However, when it comes time to vote they have to then decide if Dion or Layton appear more capable of handling an economic downturn. Dion wants to add another tax with a complicated deduction formula. Jack seems unaware that an NDP government in Ottawa would scare the bejesus out of any business investment. After all, whenever the NDP even mentions business it's to accuse them of being evil global empires that bleed us for the sheer joy of it! He would turn Canada into a Zimbabwe. Business could go anywhere in today's world. What's so attractive about Canada that business would put up with Jack?

So who knows? Let's see what the last week brings. Harper's speech about his party's platform being released today may pick up his fortunes. Polls still show that more folks feel he's the more capable leader than Jack or Stephane. For that matter, the Liberals might do something drastic like put the Green Shift on the shelf for the next term! They would lose some ground for backtracking on the idea but if they sell it by saying it's not gone but that the next few years are going to have so many economic challenges that it is best to wait for a bit they might instantly pick up a huge bunch of folks lukewarm on Harper and looking for a GOOD reason to vote Liberal!

I'm not ready to put any betting money down on this election.

Edited by Wild Bill

Did I say I voted for Mulroney, NO!

Did I used to be a bleed it Liberal Red, YES. Chretien ruined all of that and now I see the truth behind that party after many of $1000 a plate dinners, lies, back stabbing and idiocy in the Liberal leadership.

Too bad people are finally starting to see the truth behind the Liberal party's two-faced story and agenda. The polls can be easily manipulated, I will wait to see what Oct 14th says.