CBC Launches New Network

jdobbin

http://www.insidethecbc.com/

The CRTC approved a new CBC sports specialty channel Wednesday, but will limit the amount of high-ratings sports like hockey, basketball and football.

CBC SportsPlus is expected to start early in 2009.

As part of the licence, at least 30% of the content must be covering amateur sport, calculated weekly. Also, no more than 30% of weekly broadcasts could involve pro sports and only 10 per cent could be high-profile sports such as hockey, baseball, football, basketball, golf, soccer or tennis.

This still leaves a lot of room for other sports. In my opinion, the CBC should take this as an opportunity to develop university sports coverage of volleyball, track and field, swimming and things such as the Pan Am Games, Commonwealth Games and The Francophone Games.

I think this is a great idea but disagree there should be any restrictions. As it stands now if it isn't on CBC then it is on a CTVglobemedia owned station, which, without CBC, really has a monopoly on sports in Canada.

First things first, I believe. Get the network running. The rules often change after operations.

For example, The Score was authorized by the CRTC as a Headline News for sports. In 2000, the licence was amended to allow live sports.

First things first, I believe. Get the network running. The rules often change after operations.

For example, The Score was authorized by the CRTC as a Headline News for sports. In 2000, the licence was amended to allow live sports.

I agree, sports do well for the CBC and they do a good job of covering sports. But only 30% pro sports, do they want the network to fail?

I agree, sports do well for the CBC and they do a good job of covering sports. But only 30% pro sports, do they want the network to fail?

You'll have to ask the CRTC.

Given what we have seen in the past, the CBC just needs to get the station running and then can make changes like The Score did afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...