Man Beheaded on Greyhound Bus

Guest American Woman

And that's ultimately why Guyser (a card carrying member of the Liberal party) supports these card carrying citizens of Canada.

Now mikedavid00.... I hate Guyser (www.ihateinsuranceagents.com) as much as anybody. But that is hitting below the belt. :P He is not a card carrying Liberal. Nor did he vote Liberal in 2007.

Look Mike. You are just are behaving just as poorly as those crazy nutbars from the states trying to protest at the funeral.

Don't lower yourself to such behaviour. It is shameful.

Save your anti immigrant slogans for a different thread.

Personally, I feel awful for the family that must dread having to look at papers or go on the internet, for fear of coming across threads/headlines that trigger horrible feelings.

Edited by madmax

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now mikedavid00.... I hate Guyser (www.ihateinsuranceagents.com) as much as anybody. But that is hitting below the belt. :P He is not a card carrying Liberal. Nor did he vote Liberal in 2007.
Unless he was in a riding where there was a bi-election, or you're referring to provincial elections he had no opportunity to vote Liberal in 2007.

While job frustrations/housing costs very easily could result in stress and depression, I don't think it could result in illnesses such as paranoid schizophrenia. I have addressed this 'problem' before, though, saying I think part of the immigration program/process should include counseling so people know what to expect/what they will have to deal with before they make a move-- or at least before they make a permanent move/apply for citizenship.

I don't think economic pressure can certainlly result in mental illness. In fact doctors and psychologists have been arguing all the time for what is the real cause of mental illness. Most of them believe it is caused by mental problem, but recently more and more of them think hormone disorder maybe gene are also the cause of mental disease.

But economic pressure might trigger or aggravate mental illness if a man who has already had some kind of mental or physiological weakness. I listened a article from a VOA's CD which I used for leaning English recently, it said some American psychological researchers have studied the cases of the mental problems of some American soldiers who were in Iraq. The researchers believe most "brutal" things(such as throw a dog off a cliff) some soldiers commited were due to war pressure. But obviously the pressure only can effect on few men, just as pollen have no effect on most men but can cause allergic to some people.

Of course economic pressure is not the only trigger of mental illness. There is a case in Calgary which is similar with Li's case.

Police say Calgary man killed wife, kids, tenant and himself with a knife

He is not as well-known as Li because he commited his crime or illness in his home so there were not a lot of people onlooking. Both of them are "normal", perfect and popular employee commented by their bosses. But the different is that Joshua Lall was obviously not poor, he worked in an architectural company as an architect and he owned a house or something. I remember some articles said some of his friend recalled that he ever told them he could "hear voice from devil", but obviously even if some of them though he had mental problem, no one took it very seriously before he really did something.

Since apparently Li was granted Canadian citizenship, I have to wonder if family members/church members/etc. are interviewed before citizenship is granted. If not, perhaps they should be, and any concerns such as the possibility that one is suffering from an illness such as paranoid schizophrenia should be addressed before citizenship or residency is granted. It sounds as if some of his actions could have been/should have been cause for concern. I think the three years residency requirement should perhaps be extended to five years like it is in the States, too.

I'm not sure a person who applies Canadian citizenship needs physical or mental examination. I guess Canadian government does not require it because the politicians must be "political-correct". If Canadian citizenship law declareed "being a Canadian must not be sick, mad, disabled, unemployed or political-incorrect", it would not be good for Canada for it sounds like Hitler chose who would fit to be German in 1930s.

But before someone whines again with "Canada government does not represent Canadian's interests", I think I'd better point out even if appling citizenship is not required with health examination, but appling immigration is required with these conditions(except "political-correct" for Canadian politicians do not want their nation to be treat as a autocratic country) for recruiting immigration just likes a company recruiting workers, so no political-correctness needed and no one can apply citizenship before apply immigration first. :P So thoes guys who always whine politician does not represent them need not to worry about politian's handiness to play the political-correct balls under the rule of their own system.

I do think there are questions that need to be answered, and perhaps will help prevent this type of tragedy, as rare as it is, from happening again; because rare or not, when it's you or your loved one involved, that's really no comfort at all.

I agree with you. But usually government and media might try to smooth and seal it but research into it for fear of raising racial problems which might become their own political problems. :unsure:

Edited by xul

There was a crime. Someone was brutally killed. What does his ethnicity have to do with this?

This should not be an immigrant-bashing or pro-immigration thread. There is absolutely no indication that race hatred motivated the crime. Let's bring the debate to where it belongs.

I don't think his ethnicity or immigration might consequentially result in this, but I think his experience might be one of the causes of triggering or aggravating his illness or anti-social behavior, though obviously if he does not have his own problem nothing can trigger him to do this, just like most of the guys who have similar experience are really normal and may not bother themselves to crash a road lamp to release their frustration.

When details of this shocking event first started trickling through on the news, someone who had heard the killer had a shaved head started speculating that the victim may have been black and the killer may have been a nazi skinhead.

When the erroneous report that the victim was aboriginal came about, there was more speculation that this was a hate crime (see Topaz earlier in the thread.)

Now that it is known that the victim was just a white guy, and the killer was a Chinese immigrant, I suspect I wouldn't have to look far to find the same sorts of people saying that Li was pushed to violence by racism. (The suggestion that he was pushed to violence because he couldn't get a good job in Canada is awfully close to rationalizing Li's actions as a response to racism, I would say.)

And on the other side of the spectrum, people seizing on the murder of Tim McLean to support their anti-immigrant views.

And now the Phelps family claiming that Li was expressing God's anger at Canada's moral corruption.

What a bunch of nonsense. I wonder if R.E.A.L. Women will claim that Li's rampage was triggered by an abortion?

-k