Corporal Jamie Murphy

Once again, we bury our dead.

MEMORIAL SERVICE

Community to honour fallen soldier

He placed himself in harms way to enable others to be free. He joins the thousands before him that shall ever be young, strong and brave in our memories.

He leaves behind the tears, shattered dreams but brings home the world of war to my hometown once again.

We are not alone in this war on terror, the three soldiers lost to the dogs of terror, sons of our country and Knights for Peace are in good company with the brave souls from our southern nieghbors.

So far, their two rotations of a hundred fifty thousand have produced the same casualty rate as our one rotation of two thousand. The fight against terror has cost the lives of five hundred of theirs and three of ours. In our sorrow, we must remember that we are not alone, We do not have a monopoly on sacrifice or sorrow, we are the same, we are right.

Unless confronted, terror will win. Unless people are enabled to decide for themselves, terror will win. Unless we understand and remember that there are over five hundred of Jamie's fellow soldiers comming home like him, we cannot understand the problem.

Jamie did not die so that we could gt cheaper gas. He did not die to get Bush re elected. He did not die for America to carry out colonisation.

He died so that we would not have to die in a terrorist bombing in downtown Ottawa.

He died so that Afganistan could become free. He died so that the people of that country could have a chance at a relatively normal life. He died so that their life would become hopeful enough to make strapping a bomb to their torso a crazy notion.

God bless him. God have mercy on his family and give them the strength the courage to somehow put this behind them.

Amen brother. I have a lot of respect for the military. Far more than the Cdn gov't has. If they believe in freedom, rights, and that our society is worth defending then Ottawa should treble military spend immediately. I don't buy the argument that there is not enough money in Ottawa. Each year their revenue take increases by 10 % on average and is now approaching $180 billion or close to 20 % of the entire GDP.

If you don't want men like Murphy to die in ingnominy then invest money where we need it. I doubt very much we need more pork projects for Quebec and Eastern Canada.

Pell, thanks for the invigorating, enlightening post. It offers up just a myriad of different insights and intelligence.

Exactly non military deaths, where ? Who have died, what causes are in play ? Compard to military deaths where ? Do you mean the 100 or so people dead in Toronto during 2003 vs. the military losses in waging a war in Afgh. ? I guess we should 'pull out' of Toronto. Obviously it is too dangerous. What exactly is your point ?

my point is simple, and I will make it loud and clear

why the hell does this guy get all the attention? why does his family get to go on TV and cry. what's so special about him? he secrafised for his country? well pleanty of other people do that every day of their lives working dead-end jobs and never-ending shifts, and when they die they barley get a mention in the media. no crying relatives, that is, of course, IF the death is even mentioned. It's sick, it really is.

Pell, thanks for the invigorating, enlightening post. It offers up just a myriad of different insights and intelligence.

Exactly non military deaths, where ? Who have died, what causes are in play ? Compard to military deaths where ? Do you mean the 100 or so people dead in Toronto during 2003 vs. the military losses in waging a war in Afgh. ? I guess we should 'pull out' of Toronto. Obviously it is too dangerous. What exactly is your point ?

this is not a military issue at all.

7 deaths in afghanistan and you (some) want to withdraw? give me a break. 525 americans have died in Iraq (likely more by the time you read this)

this (my point) is NOTHING to do with the military, it has to do with the media, and how they decided to focus on this one death. It's like soldiers are not susposed to die, when in reality, we pay them to do just that. (somewhat...)

my point is simple, and I will make it loud and clear

why the hell does this guy get all the attention? why does his family get to go on TV and cry. what's so special about him? he secrafised for his country? well pleanty of other people do that every day of their lives working dead-end jobs and never-ending shifts, and when they die they barley get a mention in the media. no crying relatives, that is, of course, IF the death is even mentioned. It's sick, it really is.

LOL, you made me laugh Pell. What you say is true enough for sure. Like the Academy Awards and all, publicity for thosee in public as they slap each other on the back. 'I laughed, i cried, it made me dream' LOL.

What about awards for the fastest 53 foot trailer loaded? Best supporting mechanic? Most consistantly on time secretary? The average Joe and Jane get left behind every time.

In all fairness though, in peacetime the death of a soldier is hardly mentioned. When some guy gets run over by a truck on exercise in Shilo you don't hear about it. Now if a terrorist blows up a forklift driver in Flin Flon it would sure be front page news. It's not the vocation, but the circumstances. The Operation in Afganistan is a Canadian presentation to the world. We are sending our own to confront terrorism. It is very interesting to the public. It instills a sense of pride and a feeling that we are a country doing their part for freedom etc. Along with this feeling goes the want of the public to 'take care of our own' like the US does and all. Hence, it is no surprise that we would put this stuff on the front page.

We have short memories though. Each death of our own is a price that we have paid in this fight. It is the duty of all of us who care not to let the memory of the fallen to pass into the obliviation of apathy.

pell

they say we can pay a price for our freedoms and you say we pay our soliders to do just that: I can never calculate the price of a soliders life and more so the cost of price for freedom.

dead-end jobs does not equate to the death of person.

the decision to fight for all kinds of freedom for us as a people is unselfish non?

- freedom of speech

- freedom to practice religion

- freedom to disagree

- freedom to make money

- freedom to live in peace

- freedom of movement

- freedom to jobs

- freedom to love whom we want

- freedom to live

when those freedoms are interfered with and infringed upon we rely on our soldiers individually to make the difference in the lives of strangers, those like you and me. it might seem as call of duty, and yes now the world is full of heroism. but in all sincerity our selfless soldiers have taken a rugged path for us because they believe they can reassure us of our comfort. least we stay alerted but not to distress ourselves and compromise our imaginings.

but I can also now say freedom is also about a celebration of the good people do, it allows everyone to heal, families, friends, strangers, people, the country. it instills unity, i still receive mails from my school in Nebraska telling me about a "celebration" of a fallen student. maybe we can try a price for being in the mist of the humble.

what is a sad is that in order to resolve problems to good it takes violence to end violence but i hope that we can use our other resources such as intelligence to end these conflicts via

- diplomacy as in dialogues

- law enforcement

I understand where you guys are coming from, and I think some of you understand the point I am making.

I just think its...

its....

odd

when the media decides to focus on this, and not that.

Why Scott Peterson?

Why Dru Sjodin?

Why Elizabeth Smart?

Why John Bennet Ramsay?

etc...

do you know how many other people these things will happen to who will never get the privlage of having an entire nation cry for them?

when I die, I will do so alone in a hospital, with my few friends (I am not a social person) beside me. I will not have a nation bawling, or yelling an anger at an injustice. That is what angers me.

Well, as you get old, put yourself in the middle of an international event. Then die, for sure you will have media attention.

Just as an example Pel, take a forklift operator, as he does his job in the industrial area of Missisauga a fellow worker suffers a heart attack. Forklift operator gives mouth to mouth whatever and saves his life. No notice in the paper. Big deal.

Now, take the same forklift operator, he is unloading a Herc in Kabul. A terrorist attack occurs and he carries his comarade to safety under fire. Saves his life. Gets a medal and gets to drool over Adrianne as she 'pins' him.

Not much to it.

LOL, as a former Airborne NCO I should be jealous that these guys are getting the 'glory?' I drive a truck now, those days of all the media attention I got as I blasted my way around the globe are gone. No more rubbing shoulders with the elite of the planet, no more chicks and soirees with Juanta and Commie pinkos. All behind me now.

the cases you listed had something in common – premeditated “violation of women” by men including

-abduction, disappearance

-murder

-violence

why should the media contemplate being silent - it brings awareness/consciousness to the public.

maybe we can ask a very liberal government to look in to some media reporting only ibso facto on these culprits, criminals, scandalous and wicked acts so we can actually cry anytime of the day.

i believe you are disapprove the angle of the media attack on the events, usually instead focus in on the victims it is the other way round – and plays on your sensibilities. the movie the shipping news set in the east coast tells of the unlikely writer bringing news to the people – prepare, mad storm brewing likely to wipe off cold island, then the realization that the storm never will happen kicks in, next day news, see - clear view to cold island because of mad storm that never happen.

my response is it is up to you to decipher garbage from what is the real issue .... well i gotta run now