Gossip And Rumours - Cdn Politics

I didn't think it would be all that unusual to not renew a Governor General's mandate.

On second thought, when is her term up? If it is just before an election, it seems to me that it would be extended for a year or so.

Hi Rob1963.........the Governor General of Canada's term is usually for 5 years, and she was appointed in 1999.

Sometime soon I will post a reference to an amazin' story about why Adrienne Clarkson's term of office is not being renewed.

----------------------------------------------

Hi Neil.F...........you might be more convincing, assuming that's one of your purposes, in posting here at Mapleleafweb, if you stick to debating issues rather than delivering personal attacks against individuals.

Quite frrankly, I'm finding your approach a bit tiresome, and most certainly, not effective. B)

Edited by maplesyrup

Frankly, Maplesyrup, I'm sick of seeing this individual traipsing around the globe in royal fashion on MY taxes.

in my lifetime, there has never been a Governor General who has so abused the office and the taxpayer who foots the bill.

Roland Michener, Jules Leger, Ed Schreyer, Jeanne Sauvé and Ray Hnatyshyn and even Romeo Leblanc all carried out the exercise of the office with great dignity, and restraint.

'We are not amused...

How completely do the Rt. Hon. Paul Martin and his gang of goniffs think they now own Ottawa?'

-from Frank Magazine

http://www.frankmagazine.ca/passim/view.php?id=320

'One of the Little Shits in the Martin brain trust, perhaps intoxicated by the first whiff of real power, apparently thought it'd be a more hip, happenin' kinda ceremony if it were to take place in Parliament instead of stuffy old Rideau Hall. (Someone at least refined the spitball so that the proposed venue was the Senate chamber, and not the off-limits-to-Addy House of Commons.)

After all, we're not just swearing in any old prime minister. This is Paul Martin II, dude. Harbinger of a new age of democracy, power to the parliamentarians, etc. What better way to signal this than to start the whole thing off on the Hill? (Apparently the press theatre at Magna was already booked for the day.)

Er, yes, very nice idea, comes the reply from Rideau Hall, but no. We think instead we'll stick with centuries of parliamentary tradition, the Magna Carta and all that mumbo jumbo. The GG invites the prospective PM to form a government. She doesn't make a pilgrimage downtown to pay tribute to him. This isn't the Liberal convention, after all.'

Edited by maplesyrup